The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Oaks 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Oaks 2019

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7640

SEARCH FOR A SONG 14/1

This not strong race for me Epsom oaks not strong read in RP day after they look at group 2 for epsom winner.Not only that 2nd got stuffed in Pretty polly did not seem to stay at Epsom.Star Catcher been clipped today but doubt Ribblesdale a strong race.

For me this Dermot Weld filly is unexposed and ran ok last time but not given the best ride was made to much use of her with pacemakers by AOB in this race she not do donkey work and can be ridden with less restrain and think she can win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31328

Iridessa for me Daz,
    Not surprised the step up to 10f saw her win and another two furlongs should be fine, although that slight doubt you could argue she is short enough

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

Could be a very decent race this. Couple of my favourites in Iridessa + Trethias. As you mention Nathan i think Iridessa is probably a tad short at this stage for all she’s the one to beat by a good bit.

Dazzler’s pick is one of three i’ll be considering for this once i see a quote or two from trainers.

SFAS, Trethias and Manuela De Vega. The latter of the three especially needs a quote or two given they have two entered.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6526

Going by all of the other classics at the curragh this year just back the front runner

Hermosa, phoenix of spain and sovereign all won easily from the front

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

Possibly FF91, now who leads then haha?

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6526

That’s the tough bit hahaha

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

As the Racing Post website points out today the British have a decent record in this winning 3 of the last 4 with the Irish only winning 2 of the last 6, both coming from the usual suspect, AOB. Two of them have come from top class fillies in Enable + SOC, so i suppose that record can be forgiven a tad. 8 of the last 10 have been overseas winners which seems incredible to me.

However, i think it’s worth considering that this year looks more like one of those two years that the Irish have defended their race, the British challenge looks ok with Star Catcher + possibly a Beckett filly or two but i don’t think it’s overly strong. I’d personally favour Manuela De Vega of their challengers and Beckett has earmarked this from sometime ago, i just can’t be backing her without a recent quote given his other filly is in there to. Star Catcher looked good at Ascot, but it came on soft, and her win previously came on soft as well. The heavens could open on Friday if the forecasters are correct and that would increase her chance 100%. Currently it sits at Good to Firm.

I thought Iridessa did what she should’ve been doing earlier in the season + that’s racing over further than a mile (didn’t stop me following her in the 1000G in England tho!). She looks to have thrived for 10f and i don’t think 12f will be a problem. It’s her price i wouldn’t be enamoured with.

Pink Dogwood has been hyped all season + she doesn’t look a bad filly, but again, her price for me is short. She has to bounce back. She was an eye-catcher in the Oaks but i can’t help but think her win in the Salsabil was the benefit of staying out of trouble something i pointed out when taking on Encapsulation a week or two ago.

Fleeting has been the more under the radar AOB filly this season and Tony Keenan has tipped her for this. I’d hope something would prove better than her, but she’s solid and she’s certainly a possible.

The two i mainly like are Trethias + Search For A Song. They come here having finished first + second in the Naas Oaks Trial. Trethias sat third most of the way, and importantly didn’t find trouble which she has done on many occasion. She was suited by the way the race went and finally was able to show a bit more of what’s under her bonnet. I’ve liked her since her maiden win and PP offer 20s which given Harrington is on fire is IMO overpriced.
    Obviously, the form of that race isn’t as strong as the main market contenders form, as in second was SFAS, who led all the way on only her 2nd start of her life, before setting it up for Trethias. However, it’s worth noting that she stuck on very well for second still far clear of a decent if unspectacular Chablis. Her pedigree is wonderful sister to Falcon Eight and closely related to Free Eagle. By Galileo i think the 1m4 will be just fine for her, she could end up staying further like her brother. The bookies have probably taken the view that she’ll improve again and possibly improve past Trethias but still, the 14s worth a bet.

20s and 14s. win.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6526

My bullet is fleeting

Flew home in the oaks from miles back and was given a poor ride at royal ascot

At 7/1 she will do for me

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

I wasn’t that sure she was given the worst ride at Ascot, moreso was interfered with? Even at that, she had every chance!?

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6526

I didnt even back her st ascot and thought she got a bad ride so it’s not pocket talking

Will have to watch it again later

Participant
    • Total Posts 31721

Possibly FF91, now who leads then haha?

Peach Tree looks to be Coolmore’s “pacemaker” this time, Jack. Whether this rather small filly has the potential Coolmore’s Derby front runner though – highly unlikely.
    Difficult to be definite about the other prominent runners, but I’d say Search For A Song, Star Catcher and the rank outsider Operatic Export likely to chase the ones following.
    But – in contrast to the Irish Derby – other than the pacemaker those racing prominently are likely to be non-Coolmore runners. Therefore, this time Coolmore are likely to make sure this is a fast pace. Pink Dogwood beaten for speed in the Pretty Polly and if she’s to beat Iridessa here it’ll be because of stamina. Fleeting has been held held up and/or dropped out the back, so the stronger the pace the better for her…

Having said that, would Aidan rather son Joseph to win and so set a slower pace? Stop thinking conspiracy! :wacko:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31721

Anyone live near the Curragh?
    I had a good win on Iridessa in the Pretty Polly and expected to be on her here. However…
    Although if this is good ground – placing the emphasis on speed – Iridessa would have a massive chance…
    If good-soft Iridessa’s chance will be quite a bit less than it would be on a sound surface, but 100/30 would still be worth taking the chance.
    If heavy or very soft has both effectiveness on the ground and stamina to prove.

:unsure:

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 14957

A wee bit out my depth here, but I’ll take a chance that Trethias can make the frame here, and I’ll hold out for 20’s+.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3879

`Don’t live near GT, but NI in general has been unsettled even though it was forecast to be dry.

Curragh going report from this AM. Hopefully be at least good?
    Issued Date: 20-Jul-19 at 08:15 Issued By: Racecourse
    Curragh Racecourse: 045 441 205

GOING:
    Good. , Good to Firm in places (Round) & Good (Straight) following 7mm of rain. Showers to clear mid morning. Stalls in centre for sprints. Racing on Stand side.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

This is almost a no bet race for me as you could make a decent case for most of them. Ground conditions seem to be a bit unclear as well. I’m going to have a dart at Fleeting though, who might reverse the form with Star Catcher on better ground. Pink Dogwood was disappointing last time out and might not be quite that good and Iridessa might have found her best distance at 10F. I can see Star Catcher and Iridessa fighting it out and Fleeting catching them late.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2711

Beckett & Bentley to think Manuela De Vega has the better chance but it’s Antonia De Vega EW for me. Not 100% sure she’ll stay but worth a shot at 11/1.

As for conspiracies, GT, I think Joseph has proved he doesn’t need help from dad these days. You should rather look to which of their stallions Coolmore currently want to promote!

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1572

Has to be fleeting for me. With Ryan on pink dogwood I’m sure donnacha will stay close to starcatcher and swoop between the one and two pole. Pink dogwood is hard to guage and may well win if it’s a steady pace. Idressa needs to prove he stays but that looks fairly certain. It’s donnacha to beat Joseph for me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.