The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Oaks 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Oaks 2015

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

WORDS 11/2

A big price at 11/2 and while she missed the classsics with a setback i think she was there main oaks horse won a maiden at 2 which work out well.And beat Carla Bianca on next start.Think she can win here.

Balthazar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

I agree with you totally on this amigo – she met with minor setbacks before but was always thought of being something special !

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Diamondsandrubies is out of the race now. Curvy is the warmish favourite.

I am not sure I trust these 3yo fillies, with so many short distance verdicts in the big races.

I liked Words last year for the Classics but she had a few setbacks and I never got a run for my money. I thought she was more promising than Found based on their debut runs but the other filly was the one who went into the winter as favourite for the Classics but she has been the bookies pal so far.

I watched Words on her comeback run and she didn’t win far but I think she’ll come on a lot for that race. Looking at her you wouldn’t know she was three and the other fillies all older. She was just about the pick on size and looks that day but she was getting 17 lbs from Carla Bianca and the application of a hood this early is a slight question mark.

Curvy seems to be improving still and will probably be the one to beat but I couldn’t play on this race, even if Words is respected with more to come, but definitely needed.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

not had a bet today,but think Gretchen could run a decent race

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

winner just keeps on progressing,although do think they gave two front runners plenty of rope

views?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hardly a shock that the favourite couldn’t get it done. I’m convinced they are a moderate bunch and Covert Love seemed the only one who possessed anything like a bit of tactical speed.

Words looked a very slow horse today and maybe she just isn’t a filly who will take much racing with her minor setbacks being a worry on that score.

Kissed By Angels was woeful and this looked a very bad piece of placing by her trainer. Her Guineas trial win on heavy ground looks a total red-herring/flash in the pan in retrospect.

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

cheers steve,i was disappointed with Gretchen,didn’t expect her to win,but she seemed to be pitching and propping all around the curragh.
    Agree with you about Kissed By Angels,thought after that win she could be up to decent level.Alot to prove now after the gns and today

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I think this years three year old fillies are an average much-of-a-muchness bunch hence they’re all having their own turn at winning – Qualify, Legatissio, Curvy, Pleascach, Covert Love. There was 1/2 length between Erveyda, Found and Lucida at Ascot, on another day you’d probably get a different winner between them as well.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Oddly enough, I think we may have seen a contender for next year’s Irish Oaks on the same day this year’s race was run.

Clear Skies made her debut for David Wachman in the maiden won by Aidan O Brien’s Shogun. If you read the terrible ATR race report you get absolutely no idea of the promising first time effort she put up in the Curragh race over seven furlongs. Clear Skies was nearer the back for most of the race and with a furlong and a half to run was lying about ninth or tenth. She really started to get the hang of it from that point and stayed on really well for forth place and would have been second in another 50 yards in my opinion.

Shogun emerged from the race with glowing reports from trainer Aidan O Brien and he made an inward move for the 2000 Guineas afterwards. Beaten on his debut by Sanus Per Aquam when favourite, I think time will show that Clear Skies probably had an impossible task against a speedier colt with previous experience and back in against fillies at a mile, I think she could take a bit of beating. She is by Sea The Stars and cost 500,000 guineas for owner J P McManus, so you would think it will be all about next year for this filly, her dam was the mother of Derby winner Motivator.

Looking back I noticed that Legatissimo was only sixth of seven runners on her debut last year behind Jim Bolger’s Pleascach, and we saw how she progressed as time went by. The Flame Of Tara, over a mile, would suit Clear Skies in my opinion and Legatissimo was runner up in that race to Jack Naylor last season.

It’s a crystal ball job at this stage and Clear Skies isn’t quoted for the Oaks, let alone the Irish Oaks at the moment. I used to love an early punt on the occasional horse from a long way out in the Classics (just for a fun fiver) and Clear Skies is the type of contender that would have seen me phoning my local independent bookie and haggling odds before emerging with either 50/1 or 66/1, if he was feeling generous.

Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Gleaneages aside, is this the worst crop of 3 year olds from Ballydoyle in a long time?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.