The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Can’t blame you for your initial reaction. From a punters point of view it looks like a pig of a race.

In most classic you get something like eg Rip Van Winkle you think could be a bit special but there looks to be nothing in this race that sticks out as a real class animal.

MJ has paid 20k to run Monterosso so he isn’t exactly running scared from the AOB trio.

I would have expected much better from Coordinated Cut this season…he looked a bit of a slow boat last year but a classy horse with a future over longer trips.

The Derby form can’t be taken seriously as it wasn’t exactly run like anormal race……the form is very likely to be turned on it’s head which means anyone of those who ran in it could shine here.

It’s very risky betting race but if he turns up and is around 10’s I would suggest EW interest on MWB’s plus main bet on the Johnstone horse as the AOB trio look very ordinary.

Monterosso

Coordinated Cut EW

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

I like the price of Puncher Clynch, think the horse could run a big horse, and Bolger has confirmed Manning will be on too.

Medlocke
    • Total Posts 9

The last card of potential starters for the 2010 Irish Derby that I looked was about 4 or 5 hours ago on AtTheRaces.com. It had Aiden O’Brien and Coolmoore-Ballydoyle slated as starting 4 horses in the race. Cape Blanco, Jan Vermeer, Midas Touch, and At First Sight. I’m quite sure that At First Sight is being entered for pace making duties. And if he happens to run another big race like he did at Epsom? All the better. O’Brien says Johnny Murtagh has a tough decision to choose between Cape Blanco and Jan Vermeer for the Irish Derby. Personally, If I’m Murtagh, I hop on Cape Blanco and don’t look back. Simply because I believe he’s more talented than Jan Vermeer, Midas Touch, or At First Sight. His run at York over the extended 10 furlongs looked to me like a colt that wouldn’t have a problem stretching on out to 12 furlongs. I know he flopped at basically the same distance as the Dante Stakes at Chantilly in the Prix Du Jockey Club. But I believe that had more to do with the quick turn around, York to Chantilly, more than distance. I think Jan Vermeer is a very talented colt as well. He’s proven he can stay 12 furlongs in the Epsom Derby. But his Epsom Derby run was rather unimpressive as well. He didn’t quicken at all when ask by Murtagh. If Cape Blanco can get 12 furlongs? Everyone else is running for 2nd place money. Jan Vermeer, Midas Touch, At First Sight, Chabel, and Coordinated Cut included. JMO.

• Total Posts 1511

Murtagh Ride

CAPE Blanco

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

A desperate race for such a classic, imo, and Cape Blanco would have run in the Derby – had he been rated good enough by his stable.
    At First Sight looks unlikely to run after his Ascot exertions, but he went no pace at all there, and, if he does go, would expect him to prove, again, the best of a poor Coolmore bunch.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

My lump on Blanco for the Derby ante post now looks even more sickening!

Murtagh chosen, and the ground should be PERFECT. Jonny’s decision even more a positive sign. Should hack up. Will go off 6/4.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Oxx could have won it last year with Sea the Stars but he ducked it.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Bolger could have won it with New Approach but he ducked it.So don’t blame Aidan.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Oxx didn’t run Sea the Stars in the Irish Derby due to ground conditions, he was declared a non runner on the day of the race.

JohnJ

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Hi JohnJo. Just said he ducked it not why.

• Total Posts 1688

Midas Touch looked superb winning the Derrinstown with the aid of At First Sight. Typical of the Epsom classic (pace, the track itself) they could not repeat the dose but Midas Touch will get every chance this time. Great bet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Midas Touch looked superb winning the Derrinstown with the aid of At First Sight. Typical of the Epsom classic (pace, the track itself) they could not repeat the dose but Midas Touch will get every chance this time. Great bet.

A big thumbs up for this post, I hope you’ve had a fairly big bet on at 7’s like myself! – come on the Midas.

emian
    • Total Posts 114

For this race,

JV

appears to be o’B’s best chance.

Moterosso

should take care of it though.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Another dodgy 3yo race for 2010 with a heavy O’Brien emphasis. We know how the other two races went. So what is today’s alternative to Coolmore?

They all look fairly exposed at this stage. The "odd" runner in the race is definitely Puncher Clynch. He wins a couple of mile races at two when showing plenty of stamina and then is dropped back in trip to six and seven furlongs for late season flops. Treated like an ordinary horse by the stable.

At three he’s again shown speed and stamina fighting off the Derby second and Mikhail Glinka in the process. At First Sight had a lovely run in front that day as he did at Epsom and was entitled to win.

I’m not sure that Puncher Clynch shows much at home and he’s probably not been that highly regarded. Two months off also looks suspisious. Is he sound? With the doubts surrounding many of today’s runners why is Puncher Clynch still 23/1 at Betfair? With victories over Joshua Tree, At First Sight and Mikhail Glinka his staying form seems to place him right in the mix. Bolger and Manning are always dangerous in these races. Surely Puncher Clynch is a better chance than Chabal and Coordinated Cut? The odds do not reflect that.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

Cape Blanco to win.

Puncher Clynch E/W

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Backing a Ballydoyle horse right now is taking two gambles.First the odds gamble then the health gamble. Both Lillie Langtry and Mikhail Glinka seem to be back to health.Non of the other fancied 3yos horses ran up to their form last time out.Wait until they have recovered their form before backing any Ballydoyle horses this year. Note that even their 2yos have been gambled on and have trailed in last or way down the field recently.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Both Lillie Langtry and Mikhail Glinka seem to be back to health

:shock: Lillie Langtry hasn’t run a bad race this season

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.