The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ireland’s National Stud – More Controversy

Home Forums Horse Racing Ireland’s National Stud – More Controversy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

Just wondering what the opinion of racing folk is to yet another controversy over at the National Stud. Clarke’s stewardship of the organisation has already been sullied but this largesse really annoys me. At a time when Ireland is struggling and racing continues to enjoy generous subsidies, this does not make good reading for general public. The only good thing I suppose is Clarke is no longer involved in the National Stud.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire … 00603.html

Participant
    • Total Posts 899

“To him that hath, more shall be given; and from him that hath not, the little that he hath shall be taken away.”

Living the biblical dream – with his and wife’s travel expenses, house, fuel and maintenance all paid by the quasi State and all in terms of employment and condoned by Boardroom chums over 8 years is all that is wrong with the "only man for the job", market forces argument.
    An all too typical sinecure of "the leader" not leading the way to cutting costs to suit actual income.

Chairman in 2008 loss making report:
    (We means not me).
    " OUTLOOK
    We as a company face inevitable financial challenges in an industry which is experiencing severe difficulties. We recognise that the production cycle is long and that a return to financial stability will not be instantaneous … We must make some difficult decisions but like other industries … "

As long ago as 1821, Percy Bysshe Shelley argued, "the promoters of utility" had managed to exasperate at once the extremes of luxury and want. They have exemplified the saying, “To him that hath, more shall be given; and from him that hath not, the little that he hath shall be taken away.” The rich have become richer, and the poor have become poorer; and the vessel of the State is driven between the Scylla and Charybdis of anarchy and despotism. Such are the effects which must ever flow from an unmitigated exercise of the calculating faculty.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

You have to ask why, if it was semi-state owned, didn’t the Irish government have checks and balances in place to pick this up at an earlier stage. Surely not only the NS board at fault.

• Total Posts 2184

The Irish government couldn’t organise a pish up in the brewery. It was all snouts in the trough over here during the ‘Celtic Tiger’ boom.

A quick google of John O’Donoghue’s (former Minister for Sport) expenses that he totted up on his junkets to Cheltenham, Aintree, Longchamp etc. will tell you all you need to know.

• Total Posts 1

Shocking behaviour in my opinion. A semi state body yet John Clarke could spend what he liked at the expense of the tax-payer. I work within this industry and feel embarrassed that people are reading about the newspaper. This case between J Lynch and J Clarke will do untold damage to the reputation of the Thoroughbred Industry in Ireland aswell as probably resulting in the closure of the Irish National Stud.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.