The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ireland: Ditch the Euro for sterling.

Home Forums Lounge Ireland: Ditch the Euro for sterling.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I’ve read a number of items recently which suggest there is a groundswell of opinion amongst the Irish (particularly amongst the "young") to ditch the euro and introduce a currency pegged to sterling (some suggest they call it the "punt").
    Is this so? Is there sufficient disenchantment within Ireland both to the Euro and the EU itself to threaten its membership?
    That next month’s Irish budget appears to have been the product of EU/German officials can hardly have endeared the corrupt institution to a country so proud of its independence.
    What do our Irish contributors hae to say about things? I’d like to know .

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8181

Don’t pretend to understand anything about economics, but the S.O. [who does] said this morning that it concerned him that the Germans seem to be deciding [or having to approve] who leads countries these days. Not very democratic imo. [and a bit scary].

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Don’t pretend to understand anything about economics, but the S.O. [who does] said this morning that it concerned him that the Germans seem to be deciding [or having to approve] who leads countries these days. Not very democratic imo. [and a bit scary].

It is simply the Germans showing their true colours and attempting, through "diplomatic" means what they failed to achieve in two world wars.

Once again they will eventually fail.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

It won’t happen simply because Fine Gael would be the least eurosceptic of all the Irish parties. When Merkel and Sarkhozy say "Jump," Kenny and Noonan ask "How High?" Labour have been a bit underwhelming as coalition partners so far. Very much a case of Frankfurt’s way rather than Gilmore’s way.

Ireland is very much the best boy in the class at the moment by towing the line unlike the Greeks etc. I suspect that Kenny and Noonan are hoping that this will be rewarded in time. It will have to be though because the terms of our bailout will cripple this country. The Irish taxpayer is burdened with paying off billions worth of unguaranteed and unsecured bondholders to keep the European banking system afloat. Some sort of a debt writedown or debt forgiveness for Ireland is going to be absolutely essential. A default is inevitable if debt forgiveness is not forthcoming.

Bridging the budget defecit is going to hit a lot of Irish people very hard and we will see a contraction in our economy. There is no way we can cut and tax our way out of this mess because it will simply stunt and possible growth in our economy. Very bleak decade ahead I fear.

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

It is simply the Germans showing their true colours and attempting, through "diplomatic" means what they failed to achieve in two world wars.

Once again they will eventually fail.

Part of me wants to agree with this, but unfortunately the truth of the matter is probably somewhat more simple: "he who pays the piper calls the tune" springs vey much to mind……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.