The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Derby 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Derby 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 651 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Is Jonibake not a woman called Jacqui, or something like that?

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Unless he’s had a sex change since the last time I saw him Zarc, no.

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

You could be confusing me with Triptytch. I am all male. 100%. Very manly.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Zark – Nathaniel was pretty good and you can’t describe Frankel as rancid can you> Or is your jury still out? :-)

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

A poorly timed joke, Nothing more, nothing meant.

How about the 4th July for Nottingham, Gord.??

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

A poorly timed joke, Nothing more, nothing meant.

How about the 4th July for Nottingham, Gord.??

Crikey,just realised that will be 2 years ago Nath since we did that one..Trading Leather at 16/1 for the Irish Derby paid for that…I wonder who might just win this years race? Lol.
    Am supposed to be sailing my Dutch Barge that weekend on a Birthday P*ss up but we’ll organise a meet up at the countries greatest Racecourse for Derby maidens this year hopefully pal.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Gord, should your Dutch Barge be out again so soon after its Derby run? ;-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Zark – Nathaniel was pretty good and you can’t describe Frankel as rancid can you> Or is your jury still out? :-)

What do you think?

Happy to see this tweet earlier – I’m not the only one!

p.s. Sorry for confusing your identity. Who was it that ran/runs the Horse Racing Heros forum? I thought that was a woman called Jacqui who went under the Jonibake username. Must be confused.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Can I come to Nottingham as well?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

No idea who you are confusing me with Zark. Look you may well be right and they may be poor – my only point is that we don’t yet know. My FEELING is Golden Horn (RPR126) is extremely good and may get close to the 130’s, Jack Hobbs (120) is a monster who is going to be an awesome 4 year old and Storm The Stars and Giovanni will battle it out for the Leger in time. However I wouldn’t rule out GC and STS winning good races over 12f.

BTW I wonder what people thought of using Hans Holbein as a pacemaker? I know they needed to make it a test but I find it a bit of a shame that they used a Chester Vase winner to do it. For most other stables he would have been a genuine contender but the might of Ballydoyle just seemed happy to use him as cannon-fodder.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Can I come to Nottingham as well?

Wear your Derby County football fit and you’re in…… :bye:

Gord, I was looking through the 2 TRF legends meet up thread the other and all the photo’s are missing, wiped clean by the forum update I suppose….. :-(

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

If we don’t know then why are you having a go at me for slagging them off!? :mail: I think they’re bad, you think they’re good. We’ll find out over the next couple of months. The fact that Jim Bolger is sending Pleascach (filly) to the Irish Derby suggests to me that I and Jim are on the same page, at least ;)

For the time being, if you’re looking for rays of positivity from me, I think Best of Times will prove to be very good over 10f, I think New Bay looks very good and I think Territories and Arod look very good.

If Arod were mine, I think I’d give him a go in an open-looking Prince of Wales – he’s a very strong galloper with no real turn of foot. I’d send him out to make all, hoping that the short straight at Ascot might help him hold on from anything finishing strong. Otherwise I think the Breeders’ Cup Mile should be on his agenda.

Territories I think will be dynamite at Royal Ascot in the SJP. He’ll have Gleneagles for breakfast around a bend and short-finishing straight.

I also think Abseil ran very well at Epsom the other day without winning, and ran very well FTO at York. I still think the Hunt Cup is his to lose, although there will obviously be a few contenders.

I also really like the look of Stravagante.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I just don’t like it when people judge them before they have had a chance to prove themselves. I DO think there are some nice 3 year olds out there – a very good champion miler, a brilliant Derby winner and an extremely promising runner-up. How many good horses make up a good year? Perhaps it was the lack of a Ballydoyle Derby horse and the disappointments of JFK and OLR that have people assuming it is a bad year.

Anyway I am DELIGHTED to say that I 100% AGREE with you on Arod!!! :yahoo: I was at Epsom on Friday and he looked awesome in the paddock and even more awesome out on the course. I can understand that they want to go down the mile route as he has run well the last twice over that distance but it is a very competitive category this year with Night of Thunder, Toormore and the two superstars from France and Japan. I think he would have a HUGE chance in the POW especially if ridden as you suggest. I read in the Post that they are definitely going for the Queen Anne but perhaps they’ll have a rethink when they see how weak the POW is looking.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

BTW I wonder what people thought of using Hans Holbein as a pacemaker? I know they needed to make it a test but I find it a bit of a shame that they used a Chester Vase winner to do it. For most other stables he would have been a genuine contender but the might of Ballydoyle just seemed happy to use him as cannon-fodder.

Non-trier Joni.
    Hans sacrificed to ensure the strong pace Giovanni needed.
    How do they get away with it?

Heffernan should be facing a lengthy ban imo.
    It’s one thing setting equal fractions which do not weaken the horse’s chance. Quite another to set overly strong fractions and have nothing left in the final quarter mile. There should’ve been a stewards enquirey to look in to whether it was a deliberate act. I can’t believe Seamie has that bad a clock in his brain. What he did decreased Hans Holbein’s chance of winning and if he did it on purpose is against the rules of racing.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Hmmm Queen Anne would be naive I think. Night of Thunder & Toormore are dynamite over a straight-8, and they already beat Arod FTO. Solow also looks interesting (although again, not 100% convinced by him – not beaten anything of worth, barring CdA who obviously didn’t run to form) and Able Friend is coming too. Very big horse, been winning around a bend but given his size you’d think a straight-8 would suit him better. I’ve not looked closely at the race because I think there are just too many imponderables. NoT at 6/1 does make some EW appeal though, but more than likely I’ll leave it alone. Wherever NoT finishes though, Toormore will not be far behind.

Fair enough you don’t like harsh judgements but I like laying, and my approach finds a lot of value in laying short-priced horses in good races. What I have noticed is that my love of the big races often leads me to forcing a back, rather than just sticking to a lay. As somebody said to me a few years ago, a 3/1 winner at Southwell pays the same as a 3/1 winner at Cheltenham, and that’s something I really need to drum into myself. Need to learn that my theory might prove correct in the long-run, but short-term it might not pay, which I’m pretty confident will prove to be the case with Golden Horn. He’s currently best-priced 11/8 for the Eclipse, so hopefully he’ll be odds-on on the day with decent opposition to take him on with.

p.s. I also really like Limato. Ignore his last run on usual awful Haydock ground. And Clever Cookie looked a monster at York.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gord, should your Dutch Barge be out again so soon after its Derby run? ;-)

Cheers Joe! I’ll get you one if you’re ever down this way….You can just see my Barge bit like ‘Giovanni’ in the Derby!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Nice pic, Gord. Your Derby winner shot was a cracker too. I suspect you could be The Photographer King as well as TAPK :)

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 651 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.