The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Derby 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Derby 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 651 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Backed OMR at 100 to win Dante/Derby, and Golden Horn at 50 for same

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Backed OMR at 100 to win Dante/Derby, and Golden Horn at 50 for same

John Gosden seemed quite keen to point out that it was OK for Jack Hobbs and Golden Horn to clash in the Dante because the two were going to go for different Derbies. He seemed pretty clear that France was where Golden Horn would be going. Then again, if he were to win well they may change their plans but it sounded pretty much like Golden Horn was considered a 10f horse Joe.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Thanks, David. He was as low as 20 for the double so I just had a tenner for the value. No doubt he’ll do as you predict and win tomorrow, then follow up in the ‘wrong’ Derby

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Thanks, David. He was as low as 20 for the double so I just had a tenner for the value. No doubt he’ll do as you predict and win tomorrow, then follow up in the ‘wrong’ Derby

Good luck with getting a run Joe. Surely sense will prevail and he’ll be supplemented. He’ll be a worthy favourite now.

I am still wondering why they bothered entering Gleneagles for Epsom if they have no intention of running. If it was in case some of the more obvious types for the race did not live up to expectations then that has been spectacularly realised through John F Kennedy, Ol’ Man River, Sir Isaac Newton, Highland Reel and Jamaica in their desperately poor showings this Spring.

The Channel 4 boys briefly touched on Gleneagles as a possible contender in the aftermath of the Dante and the grim efforts from the expensive Ballydoyle horses. Jim McGrath stated that Ryan Moore had said he thought Gleneagles would get 10f and that he (McGrath) thought that Galileo could impart enough stamina for the Derby, but that there was a lack on the Dam side.

We’ll probably never find out and that’s good news for you people who took the 50/1 on the Golden Horn.

The Horny men will be hoping there’s an imminent entry ahead. Ooh, err Missus (Frankie Howerd)

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I’m still not convinced by anything after the Dante. Really could do with an update on Freddie’s horse Migwar though. He was pencilled in for the Greffulhe and connections have hinted at our Derby over the Froggy version. He was scratched from that trial though and is running out of time to take in anything else. Can anyone shed any light?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve backed Storm the Stars. Nightmare runs at Newbury and Chester.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I’ve backed Storm the Stars. Nightmare runs at Newbury and Chester.

Ditto :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 187

I know this is a bit out of left field and has no precedent in their previous behaviour but is it possible that Coolmore might considering supplementing one of their top fillies for Derby?
    With the paucity of competitive colts (Kilimanjaro, Hans Holbein & Sir Isaac Newton look the best remaining) and a surplus of top staying fillies in Diamondsandrubies, Found, Kissed By Angels, Together Forever & Legatissimo might it be worth rolling the dice in what may be a weaker than usual Derby field, especially if Golden Horn goes to France?

They would have it to do on figures obviously but a really top filly (Ouija Board, Salasabil etc.) is only really behind the colts, on ratings, in June due to lack of opportunity to notch a bigger figure.
    If this (crazy) notion was adopted, Coolmore would want to send the best filly I guess. Personally I love Kissed By Angels and I think her pedigree is hugely interesting but I suppose Legatissimo would be the obvious one and the least risky with a major classic already in the bag and not much to lose on reputation.

Godolphin’s Cape Verdi is the last female I can remember taking her chance in the Derby and she ran ok in about 8th I think, about 15 years ago and started very prominently in the betting, in a poor year (High Rise).
    Just an idle thought.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

Well I am sat here pretty smug but I am sure I will get the smile wiped of me face but for now I am wollowing in 20/1 Golden Horn and 66/1 Hans Holbein but I am sure I am heading for a fall!!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I’m pretty sure we saw the winner of the Derby in the Dante yesterday. It looked a very good renewal beforehand, it was run at a true pace and the front three pulled miles clear of some good horses. JG had said before the race that he was most worried about Elm Park and so it proved. Apart from the inexplicable running of JFK there seemed to be no excuses. It was a proper race.

I can see why Zark might call the 2nd and 3rd slow in relation to a Gleneagles perhaps but these are middle-distance horses not milers and the winning time suggests anything but slow. They were 2 seconds faster than the Middleton which was also run at a decent lick. There is certainly nothing in Jack Hobb’s pedigree to suggest he is a Leger horse.

JG will keep us guessing for a few days but not up until the day like certain other trainers and I would be confident that whichever one he picks finishes first or second. They look proper Group 1 horses to me. I wouldn’t rule out EP also as I am sure he will improve for the run as he did last year not to mention the extra distance.

As some have said, there doesn’t seem to be too much else around. True, Grey Lion falls into the “could be anything” category and we all know what Andre Fabre is capable of but he has a lot more to prove than some and I would guess there are doubts about his turning up anyway. Zawraq won well on the soft at the beginning of the season but nothing has come out of that race and 6’s looks very short to me. Picking maidens is unusual I’d say. Aidan has had some success in the trials but he must surely have saved his best two for yesterday.

So I think the Dante will provide us with the winner – it’s just a matter of which one……

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I’m still not convinced by anything after the Dante. Really could do with an update on Freddie’s horse Migwar though. He was pencilled in for the Greffulhe and connections have hinted at our Derby over the Froggy version. He was scratched from that trial though and is running out of time to take in anything else. Can anyone shed any light?

Bump….

Participant
    • Total Posts 467

I think Elm Parlk ran a goods race 1st time out, the extra distance of Derby will play to his stamina. Golden Horn came from deep and although very good run had the engery saved from fast pace.

Elm Park for me.

License to kill the bookies

Participant
    • Total Posts 416

The Dante was certainly the best trial and the first three were a long way clear in a true run race with Golden Horn a very worthy winner. It seems his owner is convinced he’s a 10f horse while Gosden clearly would like to run him at Epsom and seems to think that track would suit him better than Jack Hobbs. Elm Park ran well but I can’t help feeling Balding looked a little disappointed despite saying he was pleased with the run, he either got tired on his first run or just isn’t as good as the Gosden pair. You can find holes in the pedigrees of all three of them if you are looking to with regard to getting 12f but Golden Horn looks the classiest 3yo colt to date.

One horse you can say on pedigree has no problems is Hans Holbein and there is a form line through Storm The Stars who beat Golden Horn, albeit over a mile as a 2yo. Anyway he looks AOB’s best chance and is a good ew bet.

Zawraq is a short price for Epsom but again you can find holes in his pedigree too and he has entries for the Irish 2,000 and the St James Palace which make you think connections are undecided.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Golden Horn beat Storm The Stars Brig

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Balthazar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6

This is my first post but have had the pleasure of reading your opinions for a long time.

I too have been looking for news of Migwar having had a bit on at fancy prices on Betfair – I liked the look of his run back in March and feel he could step up on better ground and being by Sea the Stars out of a sister of Rule of Law who won the Leger would be suited by the Derby trip.
    I can find no news of him since he was supplemented for our Derby on 9th April and looking at French entries he missed a race on the 4th April with a vets certificate so I think he will not be coming – there have been crazy prices on Betfair also.
    He has recently been entered for the Arc though.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

This is my first post but have had the pleasure of reading your opinions for a long time.

I too have been looking for news of Migwar having had a bit on at fancy prices on Betfair – I liked the look of his run back in March and feel he could step up on better ground and being by Sea the Stars out of a sister of Rule of Law who won the Leger would be suited by the Derby trip.
    I can find no news of him since he was supplemented for our Derby on 9th April and looking at French entries he missed a race on the 4th April with a vets certificate so I think he will not be coming – there have been crazy prices on Betfair also.
    He has recently been entered for the Arc though.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Zawraq isn’t running in the Irish 2000 Guineas and he heads straight to Epsom.

I can’t believe that was always going to be the plan for him and he’ll turn up there with no proof of stamina, ability to handle the track or any true indication that he’s good enough. He’s a ridiculous price at 4/1 second favourite with Ladbrokes and I’d lay that till Christmas and beyond. He’ll drift like Robert Maxwell from the back of his yacht come the day.

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 651 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.