The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Inside Tips For The Festival?

Home Forums Horse Racing Inside Tips For The Festival?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lodge_Lane_Fan
    • Total Posts 7

Has anyone got any inside tips for the Cheltenham Festival.

I know of a few runners due from the Dartnall yard.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Get there early, avoid the traffic :wink:

Lodge_Lane_Fan
    • Total Posts 7

Good point but your not going to make much money from that sort of tip are you.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

Avoid apparent insider tips. All value will be gone and everything is trying.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

You won’t get the 3 hours you spend in traffic back though :wink:

chateauonline
    • Total Posts 45

Be fair to the guy.

He has posted a name of an unraced Dartnall bumper contender on another thread.

To the other poster, yes they are all trying, but what about the plotted up horses who haven’t been trying all season around the Irish/Northern UK gaffs??? Might be useful to know a few of their names in advance!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5685

You don’t go far wrong at the Festival sticking to horses that were either first or second last time out. If a horse is aimed at a Festival race then the trainer must have some idea of its ability in a decent class. The novice events don’t get won by novices which "haven’t been trying all season around the Irish/Northern UK gaffs". They may not have Graded race form, though without checking I suspect many Cheltenham novice winners do, but if not it will be winning form at a level.

If there is an unraced bumper winner in the Dartnall stable, or any other stable for that matter I would prefer to see it come and out and winner a compeititve bumper before the big meeting.

Rob

P.S. LLF, can you do me a favour and keep quiet about the Dartnall horses. I’ve done well from backing Victor’s runners in the past, particularly at last year’s Perth festival, and I don’t want everybody cottoning on!

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Dont back anything at the festival that finished 4th or 5th last time out.

Since 2000 only 5 horses from 370 have managed to win with a 4 or 5 to the left of their name. Strike rate 1.35%. :cry:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3215

Any trainer that tries to keep the handicap mark of a Cheltenham candidate artificially low hasn’t been paying attention. With all the handicaps attracting maximum fields, if you successfully conceal the ability of a horse, it simply won’t be high enough in the weights to get a run.

No profit in having a well handicapped horse that has to run at Fakenham or Uttoxeter because it gets eliminated at Cheltenham!

AP

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Yes, watch it home, mylate grandmother loved the festivl but didnt go in later years as she hated the vast crowds.

Having seen the scrum and listened too people who have gone i am inclined too agree with her.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Speaking of handicaps at the festival….

Only 1 horse in 123 attempts (Ilnamar 2002) has won a festival handicap at a mark 2lbs lower or 1 lb higher than their last run. Strike rate 0.81% :cry: :cry:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.