The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

In Season – what does it mean?

Home Forums Horse Racing In Season – what does it mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’ve heard this a few times lately (Peeping Fawn & Speciosa being the latest examples) and I don’t actually know what it means exactly. So who can enlighten me?

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

i’m not the expert here, but if this in refence to mares then it is likely to mean that the horse has entered the stage in the year when she is most fertile and likely to get pregnant. These months are usually between May and August and sometimes this can affect the mare. She can become ill tempered, unsettled and sore. The ovaries tend to swell and so riding can become a hassle…

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Similar to a dog coming into heat, my understanding of it anyway.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

The term is used exclusively to describe the period of estrous in female mammals – meaning that they are ovulating and capable of becoming pregnant for a period of time. In many mammals this cycle causes a change in the physical actions of the animal to promote reproduction and enhance the chances for survival of the species.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

‘In season’ is when a mare is about ready to cover. The general ‘in season’ lasts for 3 days, of a 3 week cyle. Mares start coming into season during the warm weather, so every 3 weeks from Feb/March – Autumn.
    It affects all mares differently. Some you will hardly notice, some will squirt and squeel all over the place, some will get very uptight and tie up.
    Some mares will ‘come into season’ more easily then others, ie long lorry journey, showing them a fence the day before they run.
    Being ‘in foal’ eliminates all these factors. As does using a drug called Regumate, which is illegal in racing.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Mares start coming into season during the warm weather, so every 3 weeks from Feb/March – Autumn.

Which leads to the old adage ‘follow a filly in the autumn’ once the oestrus cycle has finished and the fluctuating hormone levels have stabilised.

Similar situation is the in-foal racemare.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

She can become ill tempered, unsettled and sore..

…tell me about it :roll:

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

hehe, and you don’t have to run round with a man on your back either!!

…just be thankful it’s not something that can happen to George Washington…can you imagine what he’d be like!! :evil:

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Interesting reading Twink Allen from the Equine Fertility Unit talking about suppresssing period cycles.

The EFU have been experimenting with estrogen being injected into the uterus in different types of oil. They found they could even stop a mare cycling just by injecting a vegetable oil.

They also reported you could stop her cycling just by putting a small glass or plastic ball into her uterus. Apparently this is common practise in some equestrian sports and I wonder how many racehorse trainers try this with mares who become notably tricky every month.

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Why can’t you just let the tyres down?

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

Where ladies are concerned I think it means ‘right up for it’.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

You’re that Thommo, aren’t you?

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

:cry:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Where ladies are concerned I think it means ‘right up for it’.

Not only are they "right up for it", but it can be a bit messy :wink:

Le Monde
    • Total Posts 1

‘In season’ is when a mare is about ready to cover. The general ‘in season’ lasts for 3 days, of a 3 week cyle. Mares start coming into season during the warm weather, so every 3 weeks from Feb/March – Autumn.
    It affects all mares differently. Some you will hardly notice, some will squirt and squeel all over the place, some will get very uptight and tie up.
    Some mares will ‘come into season’ more easily then others, ie long lorry journey, showing them a fence the day before they run.
    Being ‘in foal’ eliminates all these factors. As does using a drug called Regumate, which is illegal in racing.

what does Regumate do and why is it illegal? They use it in eventing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.