The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Members Thread

Home Forums Lounge New Members Thread

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 492 total)
  • Author
    mal1964
    • Total Posts 60

hi its Craig here everyone knows me as mal , im new to horseracing if you could call 1 year new. I follow my own system based on R P R horses and i am looking forward to sharing my picks and also the banter with you .

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi folks , just joined and hope I’m doing this right otherwise I’m talking to myself.

A while ago , whilst having nothing better to do , I had the daft idea of finding out the racing colours of all the classic winners there’d ever been. Being pretty sure this would lead nowhere in particular I started with the thought I’d be able to identify the past 30 years at most and then give up. God Bless the internet though !! Now I’ve got down to some 26 owners that I’m stuck on and can’t really stop being so close to finishing.

If I post a few of these am I likely to be successful do you think ? Couple to start with perhaps :-

1949 Musidora Norman Donaldson (owner)
    1975 Nocturnal Spree Mrs D O’Kelly

Cheers

• Total Posts 2390

Hello isinglass and welcome…

Good luck in quest. I’m sure if you post on the main section there will be a few members to help you out.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Hi Mal and isinglass – look forward to reading your posts.

ursens
    • Total Posts 15

Hi Ho
    I am new and I am looking for information how I could see races live in real time etc., but I can’t find the right thread.
    ??

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Hi Ursens. Why not just create a new topic in the Horse Racing section with your question.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

Hello, I’m Emily (username is the great racemare of the 19th century http://www.racingmuseum.org/hall/horse.asp?ID=9). I found this site via the thoroughbredchampions forum. I don’t have much experience betting UK races, and unfortunately it’s hard to view them in America. I’d love to learn more, though.

I’m very lucky to live in "horse country" where there are 4 parimutuel tracks (Charles Town, Laurel, Pimlico, and Colonial) within a few hours drive, plus numerous steeplechase meets and point-to-points. Like AlyshebaFan, I prefer the jumpers to the flat racers, sadly they aren’t as popular here as in Britain. However, we do have timber racing. There is nothing quite like seeing horses and jocks gallop over fields (not manicured tracks) and across the countryside, leaping over imposing wooden fences before the final mad dash to the finish in front of the crowd. I encourage any Brit who is thinking about visiting the US to try and see the Maryland Hunt Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Welcome to "TRF" Emily.

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Hello, Emily; re Maryland Hunt Cup..all of us old enough know of the race because of our memories of Jay Trump winning the National, and I think horses used to come over here from America for a few years [eg Uncle Merlin?] but that seems to have stopped now. I’ve had great fun over the past few weeks with your fellow countrymen telling us so much about Zenyatta et al. [my son has just returned from Las Vegas with amazing photos of Bryce Canyon etc..awesome…..] Welcome!

• Total Posts 262

Hello :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Welcome to "TRF" Tor mentor.

Regards – Matron

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Hello, Emily; re Maryland Hunt Cup..all of us old enough know of the race because of our memories of Jay Trump winning the National, and I think horses used to come over here from America for a few years [eg Uncle Merlin?] but that seems to have stopped now.

The Maryland Hunt Cup used to be writ large in the actual qualification rules for the Grand National – words to the effect of "…or has finished first, second, third or fourth in the Maryland Hunt Cup". I can’t remember if it still does or not, but I think it doesn’t. Certainly Moe’s right that since Uncle Merlin in 1990, there have been few, if any, US-trained animals aimed at the race.

As for timber racing in the UK, a short-lived but valiant effort to get it to catch on was the Marlborough Cup, created by Count Konrad Goess-Sarau and run over timber rails around Barbury point-to-point racecourse from 1995 to 2000. Despite the venue, the participants included professional / Rules horses and riders as well as the odd foreign visitor.

Crowds were topping 10,000 by 2000, with a reasonable undercard, Whit Monday holiday date and a country fair veneer all aiding the event’s cause.

However, the death of the popular Big Matt in the 2000 renewal didn’t endear the race to many, and the foot and mouth outbreak did for the planned 2001 renewal. After that, Count Goess-Sarau conceded that the event hadn’t taken off to quite the extent he thought it required to make it a long-lasting, well-patronised fixture, and reluctantly drew stumps.

As well as the ill-starred Big Matt, the 2000 race featured the winner Linton Rocks (Joe Tizzard), Pennybridge (Richard Johnson, winning rider in both 1998 and 1999) and Supreme Charm (Rupert Wakley). All four of these were still professionally trained at the time. Former Virginia Gold Cup winner Priceless Room was sent over from the States, but pulled up two out, whilst French raider Royal Etranger fell at the first.

Hope this is of some interest,

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Welcome to teh forum Emily and Tor

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 102

Hi all

Im Nick, known on the betfair forum as zilzal1, hope to have some interesting conversations on here

Speak soon

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Welcome to "TRF" Nick.

Regards – Matron

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Hi Nick and welcome

gren2465
    • Total Posts 1

Good evening chaps….this site is really great good to see so many other people as interested in racing as me. I am no heavy hitter who bets every day just a keen admirer of the jumps. Just looking at the people’s comments on races that are coming up I would agree that if Tidal Bay’s season is to get back on track he has the ideal oppurtunity tomorrow and Howard wouldn’t be bringing him all the way down here unless he is ready.
    So does everyone consider Tidal Bay to be a horse back on the up….or one that will get no better???

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 492 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.