The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I'm mystyfied again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

from  Mottey

<br>Quote:

Willoughby pointed to Sunday’s Pierse Hurdle, in which beaten favourite Kendor Dine, a Leopardstown maiden hurdle winner, ran off a mark of 117, while joint top-weight Mister Hight, a Grade 1 winner last season, was rated 130. Willoughby highlighted the 129-rated British juvenile Prince Ary, a Fakenham maiden hurdle winner thrashed at Kempton Sunday, who would have beenjust 1lb shy of top weight had he run in the Pierse off his British mark.

Reacting to those figures, Smith reiterated that every Irish jumper has been handicapped in Britain as well as Ireland for well over a year, meaning that British handicappers now continually assess the two country’s horses on a parallel basis.

As an example, Kendor Dine is rated 128 in Britain, while Mister Hight is 15lb higher in Britain than Ireland with a BHB mark of 145.

<br>I’m not really up to speed with Irish racing and i know maidens/novices are tough to rate,   but can someone explain to this budding handicapper how Phil Smith and the BHB warrant rating

Prince Ary 129<br> maiden winner with mainly 60 rated flat horses in behind,

maybe  the BHB are using one of those horses as a "yardstick" one of  whom was beaten 8 length by  a 115 rated hurdler previously

<br>Kendor Dine 128

who probably has a high mark of 117

Maiden winner of a mainly exposed field  runners with a 65 flat rated horse beaten 26L in 7th and 91 rated flat horse 33L in 9th

Mister Hight 145,

must  have won the worst Graded race i’ve had the pleasure to look at and  the 130 rating is probably a couple of pounds too high

Thanks in advance

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 3:12 am on Jan. 15, 2007)

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

One point I did note yesterday is that the Irish H’Capper appears to have let in POINT BARROW and ADAMANT APPROACH in fairly lightly ? <br>Maybe the rest of the field were too high ???

regards,

doyley

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

There’s a piece on the RP website (can’t access through work so can’t post it) in which Phil Smith responds to Willoughby’s challenges. He made a couple of points such as due to the high number of runners in Irish handicaps there is greater slippage to afford horses more of a chance. The british handicapper in assessing the races doesn’t afford this leeway obviously in attempt to stop Irish horses coming over and cleaning up. I think the are doing the right thing by assessing Irish horses independently as this allows central control and should serve to avoid massive discrepancies in the ratings dished out..

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Aragorn

<br>Piece i’ve quoted is from RP website article m8 and i agree, BHB should handicap horses independently

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Sorry, was working from memory! You’ve cut bits out which threw me. To be honest I don’t envy there task… Irish handicap hurdles must be about the most difficult races to assess from a betting perspective

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Any Irish horse aimed for Cheltenham or any major UK race will only pad round in his slippers for the warm up races. When he arrives at Cheltenham etc he will have better going, be at peak fitness and strip 50 pounds lighter. Handicapping under those circumstances, in Ireland or by BHB, is a total nonsense.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

those that have not shown sufficient form ( Ireland or England, anywhere) for the handicappers to properly assess, should not be alloted a handicap mark at all and therefore unable to qualify

imo, all the top handicaps should have qualifying races too

<br>Not only does it p**s punters off when Joe Bloggs decides today is the day, it must also p**s genuine connections off who have run their horse on it’s merits  only to scuppered by these people

Anyway, thats enough of that rant, another topic imo

<br>(Edited by empty wallet at 1:29 am on Jan. 16, 2007)<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 1:30 am on Jan. 16, 2007)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.