The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

If you can’t win, then you can’t lose.

Home Forums Archive Topics If you can’t win, then you can’t lose.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johncockerill
    • Total Posts 20

Recently discussed on ATR is the fact that betting on the Tote on short priced favorites to be placed sometimes has been returning dividends of £1.

For an investment of £1 returning £1 this is a no win situation.

There is an unwritten law that says ‘ if you can’t win then you can’t lose’ but in this instance the rule has been broken.

What is the solution so that not only does the punter win, but so does the Tote?

I did think about posting this on the ‘Tote monopoly’ thread, but thought that it deserved it’s own topic.

John.

The Legend
    • Total Posts 5

Quite simple John – declare dividends in units of less than 10p.

johncockerill
    • Total Posts 20

I realise that Legend. That is not the point of my thread.

What I am asking is what can be done to overcome the ‘can’t win can’t lose’ rule.

John.

Sorry legend, I missunderstood your reply, I see what you mean.

O.K. Why not declare dividends below 10p?

John.

(Edited by johncockerill at 12:16 pm on Dec. 16, 2002)

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

I am a great advocate of the can’t win can’t lose scenerio !!……its something i’ve discussed at legnth with the German racing authorities where a 10,10,10 place is normal!!!

The only way around it is to return to 100’s as fractions and pay 1.01 if neccessary.

A no win situation with the possibility of losing is an horrendous thought.

The Legend
    • Total Posts 5

As I dont work for the tote John I cant say why not but it is probably either

A) a fiddle to do with rounding in order to maximise their takeout <br>or <br>B) to keep admin down in paying out winnings because if you declare in 100’s you are then going to have to stock 5’s 2’s 1’s in their tills and you know how hard they find it to keep the queues below 40 deep at the moment!!

Red Tape Eh?? LOL :biggrin:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Actually, I believe the tote dividends can go as low as 70p.

So you can "win" your bet and still lose money.

Steve

Valueseeker
    • Total Posts 5

I thought that the minimum Tote return had been reduced to £1.05 from £1.10 several years ago, to stop people lumping on the 1/20 and 1/25 shots and getting 1/10 for their money.

Have I missed another change in the meantime or did that reduction just apply to win bets?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.