The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

If only allowed one days racing…

Home Forums Archive Topics If only allowed one days racing…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Ok, not an original thread maybe but the board is a little quiet at the moment…

So

If only one days racing allowed (to attend) this year

1. Flat?<br>2. jumps

and thridly, which meeting would you LEAST like to go to

To get it started…

On the flat, first day of GLORIOUS GOODWOOD is a nice card and a great course. Newmarket July meeting is wonderful too,,

Jumps has to be be CHELTENHAM  I suppose, but its way too uncomfortable. So maybe TINGLE CREEK DAy at Sandown or that excellent jumps card at NEWBURY in february

Worst meeting? anything at Epsom frankly

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Flat<br>Would have to be a Breeders Cup (must be the classiest days racing anywhere in the world), but with the Proviso that Europe have at least 3 winners!

Jumps<br>Tuesday of the NH festival…..well the first 3 races anyway. The build up… then Supreme Novice…Arkle…Champion Hurdle. Perfect – then off to the bar.  <br>And, the crowd on the Tues last year was nowhere near as bad as previous years.

Worst<br>Haven’t got one. Going racing anywhere is better than working. <br>

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Flat: Arc day at Longchamp

Jumps: Champion Chase day at Cheltenham

nore
    • Total Posts 151

Flat: Irish Champion Stakes Day at Leopardstown<br>[br]Jumps: Grand National Day at Aintree

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Flat: Breeder’s cup

Jumps: That day they had at Auteuil a week after the Arc.

Worst: Cheltenham festival.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Christ Nore…we never agree on anything!

Not been to aintree yet, but never liked the look of it and heard quite afew negatives. Was at Leopardstown a few years ago for Gunieas trial day and have to say it was the most disappointing course ive been to. Atmosphere was dead and it was pretty tatty Maybe its improved.. :)

Still…horses for courses

centralpark
    • Total Posts 5

I’ve only been to Cheltenham, Aintree and York and loved them all!!! However I’m blind as a bat and hate being packed in like sardines (paddy power day was my idea of HELL) so somewhere nice and quiet where i can see would be top of my list!! that’s why i love point to pointing, all the boxes are firmly ticked, only downside is the rubbish odds given by the on course bookies!!

Gigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

Irish Derby or Breeders Cup

Best days racing i ever saw was last year when Beef or Sakmon Beat Best Mate <br>But my favourite days racing is the Paddy Power in Cheltenham,was over there this year and i will go for the rest of my life.

Downpatrick is the worse track i ever visited

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Central park

I have the aversion ro being crowbarred in too

Some famous meetings are not too bad for getting around in comfort. Newmarket champions day is a fav of mine (but the course does ride strangely) and July meeting is a gentle lovely day too. St leger is suprisingly good, but theyve shut donny now for a while

on the other hand Whitbread day is horrible squeeze at sandown

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Flat: Breeders Cup – the best taking on the best, nothing like it.

Jumps: Grand National day – the worlds greatest horse race, the best hurdlers and the best novice chasers :)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

yes but Mr Stamp…have you been to either? and breeders cup where?

Some of the "great" meetings are not all that when you are there.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Not been to the Breeders Cup but been to the last 5 Grand National days as a racegoer and worked the first two days of the 2004 National meeting. <br>Yes it is extremely busy but it’s all worth it to see the Grand National.  

Martin

Gigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

But ya nearly cant really see the race ya have to watch most of it on the big screen…and ya could do that at home… Cheltenham is super no matter how packed it is ya can see every inch of the track

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Quote: from Gigginstown Man on 4:52 pm on Dec. 5, 2005[br]But ya nearly cant really see the race ya have to watch most of it on the big screen…and ya could do that at home… Cheltenham is super no matter how packed it is ya can see every inch of the track<br>

<br>The tracks 2 1/4m around so it would be hard to see everything.  Generally though I can see them from behind down to Beechers and from Valentines onwards.  The view from the top of the Queen Mother isn’t much better though.

Still a cracking days racing and wouldn’t miss it for anything (almost).

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Flat – Breeders Cup or Melbourne Cup

Jumps – Probably the Cheltenham Festival, although whether I’ll ever manage to get there without doing myself a mischief beforehand is debatable. However, my best recent day’s racing was undoubtedly the Hunter Chase evening there this year, although I nearly killed myself in the process.

Worst – any meeting at Newbury

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.