The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ideas for Modules for an Online Betting Course

Home Forums Horse Racing Ideas for Modules for an Online Betting Course

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1637

Nice list, Cormack, but surely Golden Rule Number One should go first: Never bet with money you cannot afford to lose.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

Ha, indeed. Maybe a module on the risks associated with gambling, the perils of gambling addictions and where to seek help should be right up there at number 1.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

Ha, indeed. Maybe a module on the risks associated with gambling, the perils of gambling addictions and where to seek help should be right up there at number 1.

Wise words indeed – only a very small proportion of people have the right temperament to make a success of betting IMO , it’s an often overlooked aspect of the whole game.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 410

That sounds like a really good basis for a course Cormack. A fair amount of it sounds relatable to betting in general. I expect Chapter 6 (the importance of various factors) is where a lot of the key racing-specific stuff would go, and that one could probably be broken down into multiple chapters given the huge number of variables.

Let’s hope Empowerer returns as there is plenty of helpful information on this thread now if they remain inclined to develop their course.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27776

Indeed an excellent list David…
    But where were these factors in your TRF article “How To Be A Successful Horse Racing Gambler“?

value is everything
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 864

I didn’t write that article GT, I posted it.

Yes, just a top of the head list Marlingford. You could do sub-modules on a wide variety of topics. Sectional timings, compiling your own ratings, paddock inspection, conformation/judging a horse’s action, etc, etc. It makes you realise what a complex topic it is (or can be made to be… maybe the secret is to find the secret to keeping it simple).

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27776

Oh sorry David. I thought when it says “How to be a successful Horse Racing Gambler, by Admin”; I thought How To Be A Successful Horse Racing Gambler was by Admin. :wacko:

value is everything
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 864

Ah well, so now you know GT.

Anyway, the factors in that wee article are all in the list above, more or less, so the article’s authors weren’t far off.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27776

Nothing on a lot of the things you mention in your list on the previous page. Understanding odds, probabilities, the mathematics of betting, creating a tissue and finding value. The basics of How To Be A Successful Horse Racing Gambler all missing. “Weren’t far off”, my arse. ;-)

That article should really be called “How Not To Lose Too Much On The Horses”.

value is everything
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

As stated on the other thread, anyone who has identified an edge would be a fool to share it.

Others would adopt it, the market would adjust, and the edge would evaporate.

admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 864

Hey GT – I checked and you’re right – my list IS better

:whistle:

cormack

Turkoman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28

However, Empowerer, if you don’t already know what modules need to be included and how the content should be structured are you really sure you are the right person for the job?

BINGO!!!!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27776

Yes Cormack, your list is so much better than the article. You know / knew so much better which is why I found the article so disappointing.

value is everything
    Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1544

I wouldn’t be averse to throwing something together on the subject of juvenile hurdlers, although seeing as you’ll be monetising course, I would be interested to know what kind of fee or cut you would be willing to offer…

As others have stated, those who have worked hard on finding an edge would be reluctant to share same as the costs would far outweigh the benefits.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay any attention to someone claiming to be an expert straight off the bat. Indeed, everything I have learned of the sport has been based on my own research and guided by the output of those who I have deemed to be fine judges over long periods of time. Anybody who sets out to learn everything they know from scratch from a single source will quickly find themselves treading water in what is an excruciatingly competitive landscape.

Best of luck to you though :good:

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1403

I think Colin’s point about breeding is a good one. It’s still underrated I believe and still tricky to reference

How many times do we see “he ran well in the guineas but isn’t bred for the derby but he might stay!”only To see it going backwards at tattenham corner

I think the course is a good idea even just highlighting factors many punters simply do not take seriously enough

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.