The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I have been closely involved with racing for over 30 years!

Home Forums Horse Racing I have been closely involved with racing for over 30 years!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Another mate of the infamous Jock Mc Crakken has just been exposed as running a tipping scam.

Brighton amatuer boxer Wesley Beagley aged 29 claimed he had been involved with horse racing for over 30 years. :D

He sent out various mailshots and on one he claimed to be Anthony Cochrane who was supposed to be a trainer who owned a team of racehorses yet in another mailshot he claimed to be Jonathon Wells ‘from the famous racing family’

On one mailshot he claimed to ‘cut out money worries forever’.

The local trading standards team gained a High Court injuction to prevent any more mailshots. The judge warned Mr Beagley ‘if he carried on he faced going to prison and having his assests confiscated’.

Although the judge did not make any order to confiscate assets or even dispence any fine it was estimated the scam had gained Wesley Beagley over £175k

Surely before parting with any money anyone with any sense would have checked out some of the claims especially the claim to be trainer Anthony Cochrane with his team of race horses!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Sadly Seagull people’s greed and the desire for a quick buck overrides any commonsense.

That’s how these scams make money.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Almost as bad as Tommo and Francome having tipping services. I take it they still do?

Hi viewers got a good thing today but you a**holes out their watching racing today aren’t getting it unless you pay. Should be thrown of Television.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

Do you know how much Tommo pays for his daily adverts in the Racing POst?

Absolutely nothing, The RP give him free advertising for a 50% split from the premium rate telephone service.

A shocking truth.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Must be great to able to talk crap and get paid for it. How he can give the best service to viewers which he is paid to do and run a tipping service at the same time I don’t know. Surely his employers make sure never tips anything that runs while he’s on the telly?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i’m sure it takes him just a few minutes to pick out a couple of horses off the websites each evening and no time at all to record the message the next morning – can’t see it impinging on his work at all

i have no sympathy with people who give money to tipping services, if they weren’t giving it to them they would be giving it to fortune tellers, nigerian 419-emailers or some other scammers and racing is made for tipping services

99/100 punters give their money to bookies, why should they worry about giving it to someone else ?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Absolutely nothing, The RP give him free advertising for a 50% split from the premium rate telephone service.

A shocking truth.

No, it isn’t.

It’s called P.I. advertising and it’s been used widely for many decades.

So, while it may be a surprise that Thommo is using it, it’s hardly "shocking" to people who know anything about the newspaper advertising world.

Ho hum.

Steve

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

i have no sympathy with people who give money to tipping services, if they weren’t giving it to them they would be giving it to fortune tellers, nigerian 419-emailers or some other scammers and racing is made for tipping services

Indeed

you can’t con an honest man

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

A shocking truth.

No, it isn’t.

It’s called P.I. advertising and it’s been used widely for many decades.

So, while it may be a surprise that Thommo is using it, it’s hardly "shocking" to people who know anything about the newspaper advertising world.

Ho hum.

Steve

Well, here’s someone else who’s shocked by this revelation. I find it disgraceful that the Racing Post should be in cahoots with these sorts of people.

No wonder you never see any analysis of the performance of telephone tipsters there, they wouldn’t want to bite the hand that feeds them, would they?

What does "P.I." stand for, Parasites Incorporated?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Well, here’s someone else who’s shocked by this revelation.

My point is you’re only shocked because you’d no idea that this is well known practice in newspaper and magazine advertising.

If you had known that, it would be fairly humdrum.

What does "P.I." stand for, Parasites Incorporated?

"Per inquiry"

Steve

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

This method of advertising has become all the more prevalent since the inception of the internet and, moreover, price comparison websites.

But it’s not the practice that’s ‘shocking’ in this case, steve, it’s the fact that the Racing Post are happy to profit from services which can, in no uncertain terms, be described as a con. They have no problem in taking advantage of their market monopoly to increase profits even further, by being party to the pick-pocketing industry of telephone tipping.

The fact is tipping lines can’t be run on the basis of effective ‘inside information’, because different providers will regularly claim to have had the nod on different horses in the same race. Sadly they can’t all win, and it’s all too likely that the information is merely the gobsh*te on the phone’s opinion. And if all else fails they’ll just fabricate results, as there’s absolutely no regulation of their activity whatsoever and people don’t take the time to really think about what they’re being offered.

I keep getting emails from someone called Tim Ellis, attached to a service called 5 Star Tipster or 5 Star Press. The name that appears with every email (in the ‘From’ box) is Jamie Kelly, and not Tim Ellis, and the results he claims simply don’t add up. And that’s how I love finding these worms out – the numbers. They think promises of riches and the like will blind people to the fact that they’re lying their thieving ar*es off.

Taking 5 Star Tipster as an example, Tim/Jamie claims to have recorded a profit of over £80,000 last year, with the previous 4 years offering returns in excess of £60,000 (per year). They advertise having tipped 60+ horses in January of this year, all of which they say won and have been proofed. I checked their proofing and they submitted only 3 bets in January, all losers, maintaing their NEGATIVE LSP and NEGATIVE POI.

If the Racing Post are happy to be a part of that sort of thing, then they want shooting.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Simple way to deal with the tipsters is to make them have to display their monthly and yearly results within the adverts.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

post 1 :

Brighton amatuer boxer Wesley Beagley aged 29 claimed he had been involved with horse racing for over 30 years

perhaps he was conceived in the ladies loos at Newbury

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

I would have liked to seen changes with The Racing Post and the advertisements allowed from Brimadon when the new editor took over.

In fact they seem to have been given a green light to claim what ever they like. There are often banners promoting this company now when one goes on to the Racing Post website.

If ones looks at the advertising standards agency website there are various complaints upheld against this company and the claim that they made £231,000 profit.

They are not alone as Isisris also have had complaints agianst them upheld.

They claimed they achieved this by staking £100 on the selections and that a firm of accountants had checked these claims.

However on the list of winners given by Brimadon to the ASA the stakes were sometimes much more than £100.00.
    The list the accountants submitted did not even have date when these winners were meant to have occured.

Brimadon get round the fact that they do not have to submit the selections as they claim they are not in fact tipsters but owners of a computer system that finds winners!

They used the Oxford English dictonary to confirm that the word exceptional which they used meant ‘greater than usual’.

I realise that any jounalist such as David Ashforth would be wasting time delving into the likes of Brimadon as the work would never get published.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.