The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I bought a Racing Post yesterday

Home Forums Horse Racing I bought a Racing Post yesterday

Viewing 13 posts - 52 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Surely the paper version of the RP and it’s exorbitant cover price is just continuing due to the bookmakers version. They obviously don’t care what they charge now and any punters/mugs who are prepared to pay the price will be accomodated.
    I continued taking it for too long and as someone said, at one time it was much better value than buying a racecard.
    Whatever price it was when it started, 25p was mentioned on the Betfair forum and 50p here. With inflation the Betfair spokesman stated the 25p would now be 77p so even going off the 50p should now be £1.50/1.60. Very poor value for money now.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

So you know the William Webb Ellis drone? An untypical weathersppons pub in so far as many of the clientele have actually used soap in the last week. Mind you I’ve only been there three times and had to leave once because it was full of miserable old blokes moaning about the price of the racing post

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

‘Wetherspoons pub’

Much like a journalist from The Sun, you can be one or the other but never both.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“An untypical weathersppons pub in so far as many of the clientele have actually used soap in the last week.”

Funniest thing I’ve read on TRF in years – possibly EVER.

Maximum respect.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

“So you know the William Webb Ellis drone?”

Nope, just googled ‘wetherspoons twickenham’ knowing you lived around there

Yer typical clientele might be er…’mixed’ but I quite like the pubs as they’re often situated in splendid, otherwise redundant, municipal buildings

Better a ‘spoons than the bulldozer

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“An untypical weathersppons pub in so far as many of the clientele have actually used soap in the last week.”

You do seem to have a bit of prejudice against Wetherspoons, Clive. I was in one of their establishments yesterday. Everyone looked clean to me.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Yes cork

But what about you ? 🙂

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

As Rigsby once said on Rising Damp: “I have a bath every week. Even if I don’t need one.”

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Reminds me of a story from mate in civil,service

One bloke in the office ponged really bad and they had to say something. Along the lines of “you pong and really should have a bath sometimes. Everyone’s moaning about it”

The he didn’t come back to work for weeks

They eventually got hold of him and his answer was

“How do you expect me to come into work when everyone says i pong”

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Reminds me of a story from mate in civil,service. True because I knew the parties involved

One bloke in the office ponged really bad and they had to say something. Along the lines of “you pong and really should have a bath sometimes. Everyone’s moaning about it”

The he didn’t come back to work for weeks

They eventually got hold of him and his answer was

“How do you expect me to come into work when everyone says i pong”

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

RP doing a 50% off Black Friday deal at the moment. You must pay up front, but £14.50 a month for the next 12 months is decent value imo.

50% off and a FREE diary for Black Friday

Looks like Racing TV have a deal coming for Friday too, going by the race title of the 12:35 at Thurles this coming Thursday…

2m2f Racing TV Black Friday Offer Tomorrow Only Handicap Chase (4yo+ 0-116)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

The RP is priced as a digital paper ie. (Digital price : £349 for 12 months = £349/365 = £0.95 p/day, Paper price : £2.9p/day * 365 = £1,058.5 p/year) in effect Digital £349 v Paper £1058.50

Aren’t your figures are wrong there Rollo? I believe the Post is £3.90 daily Sun to Fri & £4.20 on Saturday. Which makes the total (52 x 4.20) + (313 x 3.90) = £1439.10 annually!

Not that it’s important. I’m not really sure that the Post are particularly concerned about their printed circulation amongst the general public, I reckon they just see it as an advertising and ‘presence’ tool. It gives them the kudos of being on every news stand. They may as well keep printing it and jacking the price up for the forseeable future as they know it’s the digital sales that count.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 82

You’re correct Mike, the standard daily price is £3.9 as opposed to £2.9. I have a recollection of there being a premium on the £3.90 price during Cheltenham / Ascot / some of the other bigger meetings when picking up a copy previously also. The final figure is probably closer to a c.£1,100 + / c.3x + difference per annum in that case

Viewing 13 posts - 52 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.