The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hugh Taylor – Jewel in the ATR crown

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Hugh Taylor – Jewel in the ATR crown

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I have little doubt that Hugh’s increased effect on early price markets has plenty to do with traffic being diverted from Racingpost.com, but it has to be said that he’s producing some stunning results.

It’s not often that I heap praise on anyone (I’m a miserable bugger at the best of times), but Hugh strikes me as someone dearly in love with the intricacies of the game, dedicated to his role and unusually able to approach races from ever-more-fascinating angles. His thoughts often make for intriguing reading – as well, it has to be said, as being well-structured and coherent – and mark him apart from the Segals, Winstanleys and Cunninghams of this world.

I’m only sorry that I never take heed.

His success also speaks well of ATR who, despite continuing to employ the services of one or two hapless presenters, seem to be taking full advantage of the laughable new business models of the RP and RUK.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

SInce ATR have been talking this guy up I’ve had a look and there do seem to be a lot of mythical prices recommended – first shows from the likes of crybet and unsportingbet. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt and say that it’s his tips moving the prices, you have to ask what is the point?

Is there a complete record of his bets anywhere?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Equi,

Regarding the laughable RP business model, I wouldn’t hesitate in saying that they are bringing in at least 3 times more income ATR are at present.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I haven’t come across a record of his selections, Glenn, but then again I’ve only recently been taking the time to read what he has to say having previously just glanced at his selections (I place no financial faith in anyone’s judgement but my own, but the angles he approaches some races from do, as I said before, make for interesting reading).

From what I can tell his articles are generally uploaded between 10am and 11am, so the prices he quotes are actually available at the time.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

Hugh Taylor has contributed to a number of racing forums over the years, including this one and strikes me as one of the more interesting horse-players. He was also an occasional studio pundit on ATR 1 and despite a self-confessed unease in front of the cameras provided some thought-provoking analysis.

No idea if his current work for ATR is turning a profit but wouldn’t be at all surprised if it is.

IIRC he was Kerrin McEvoy’s agent when riding here

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3136

There have been some excellent discussions on the form factor involving Hugh regards watering etc and he’s brought up some interesting facts and figures. well worth a watch imo.
    None of the rubbish stats put up by the likes of Big Mac & Tanya eg "favs have a poor record in this race, favs have a poor record in that race, only 4 favs have won the Cambs in the last 20 years" etc. that sort of rubbish shouldn’t even get airtime.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

I see he’s gone for the old Richard Evans off angle today:

At Goodwood (5.30), the 7f handicap looks sure to be run at a decent pace, with Den’s Gift, Mujood, Cape Hawk, and Pegasus Again all candidates to make the running. We might be looking for a hold-up horse, then, and at the prices DESERT DREAMER fits the bill, because he seems really well suited by a strongly-run race. He didn’t get a clear run at Chester two outings ago and then shaped well when coming from the rear at Warwick last time, and he should have this race run to suit, whilst the switch to Neil Callan has to be seen as a positive, too.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Hugh Taylor is clearly an excellent judge and some of his tips have been little short of inspired. What I would like to see though, is a full record of profit and loss provided on the website where the tips are provided.

I also think it is a valid point than Glenn raises regarding prices. In terms of customer experience, anyone clicking on the site and seeing the horse is tipped at a general price of 16/1 and manages to get 20/1 with one of the smaller firms is going to get a better experience than if told to back it at 20’s with a tin-pot firm but has to take the 16’s that is generally available.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

Tipsters’ P&L should only be recorded at SP BSP and ‘generally available’ early prices. ‘Recommended’ early prices are in effect mythical, probably more so now there are a legion of mickey-mouse outfits around. One or two may be accomodated but the majority won’t.

The value of someone like Taylor who’s prepared to divulge a little reasoning behind his selections is in the provision of ‘food for thought’, particularly for the punter on a learning curve.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I have been noting his tips also and he does make an interesting read. Unfortunately I cant access ATR website from work and so I can only reflect back on his tips at the end of each day. Yesterday (Monday 8th Sept) he had Half A Crown win @ 9-1SP and Hawkit 2nd @ 7-1 SP. I am sure both would have been longer prices in the morning.

Last week there was a spiel on his tips section of ATR that hinted people had complained about the odds he was claiming to have got for each seletion. Hugh responded by saying that he only puts up selections and odds that are available at the time they are posted up. So if he usually posts up selections at 10am, those proces were available at 10am. You couldn’t blame the bookies if they too were checking this info and therefore reducing the prices on his selections by a few points straight away.

I know he has made a points profit every month since march and I am inclined to believe thats true. As some have highlighted here, he seems very good at finding different angles to look at races from.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Hugh’s colleague Dave Duggan is another top class tipster. A couple of months ago I remember he tipped Age Of Aquaries and Changingoftheguard for the Leger at 16/1(I think?) and 40/1 respectively. On top of that he’s a real sound fella aswell.

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

Hugh Taylor seems a good judge and a pleasant bloke, which makes you wonder what he’s doing on ATR.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

gumshield

Hugh posts on here occasionally so it may be possible to ask him

Rob

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Hugh’s colleague Dave Duggan is another top class tipster. A couple of months ago I remember he tipped Age Of Aquaries and Changingoftheguard for the Leger at 16/1(I think?) and 40/1 respectively. On top of that he’s a real sound fella aswell.

Duggan used to enjoy promoting himself on the Betfair forum too………..also using the ‘he’s a sound fella’ line. All a bit desperate.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

"Smithy" wrote:

Duggan used to enjoy promoting himself on the Betfair forum too………..also using the ‘he’s a sound fella’ line. All a bit desperate.

Darn it, you’ve figured me out. Yes, I am the real Dave Duggan! :lol:

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Good Evans!

Desert Dreamer drifts to 18s before the off, being laid to take out almost double the volume of those around it in the betting!

When this one finally wins I somewhat doubt that it will be the public’s money that’s down.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

At the moment they are all coming out of the woodwork.

check out thepencilman on betfairs forum he had his own way of winning!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.