The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Howard Johnson…

Home Forums Horse Racing Howard Johnson…

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    royal falcon
    • Total Posts 15

What is northern racing bringing to the party?

Nicky Richards, Ferdy Murphy, Sue Smith …..

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Where is the report on this trainer?…why has it not taken place….what is the delay??…why is he still allowed to train??…why has his license not been suspended until a proper investigation has taken place??

Paul Struthers answer this please??…i hope your not hiding this case because of the warranted trouble which was brought about after the Grand National.

A 1 year ban from Racing would suffice imo

• Total Posts 447

I completely agree, at least one year. They completely revoked an American trainers license for simply having one too many drugs violations and some needles found in his barn. And yet they let this contemptible man get away with de-nervating a horses feet so that it in effect runs until its foot falls off.

Never was a big fan but now I dislike man. here is the story

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/home.s … ument=1546

After the terrible press the National got surely the Racing Authorities need to take a tougher stance on welfare? I was appalled when I read some people thought they ought to not bypass the fences where the horses were stricken. I love racing but I love horses more and seeing Ornais just drop dead like that and left under a sheet of tarpaulin made me sick to my stomach.

Whip penalties need to be pecuniary, jockeys just beat the horses black and blue sometimes then get a 3 day ban which happens to fall when no important racing is on. And if it falls on important racing everyone complains it is unfair.

I used to compete in the sport of horse trials and I can tell you any rider who had a written or verbal warning for abuse of the whip was so mortified it very rarely happened. They had a two yellow card system which when together meant a red card and a several month ban, not sure the rules have ever been engaged

• Total Posts 1150

The prelim was 10 Feb is now 3 months 2moro and nothing has been done.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

I completely agree, at least one year. They completely revoked an American trainers license for simply having one too many drugs violations and some needles found in his barn. And yet they let this contemptible man get away with de-nervating a horses feet so that it in effect runs until its foot falls off.

Never was a big fan but now I dislike man. here is the story

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/home.s … ument=1546

After the terrible press the National got surely the Racing Authorities need to take a tougher stance on welfare? I was appalled when I read some people thought they ought to not bypass the fences where the horses were stricken. I love racing but I love horses more and seeing Ornais just drop dead like that and left under a sheet of tarpaulin made me sick to my stomach.

Whip penalties need to be pecuniary, jockeys just beat the horses black and blue sometimes then get a 3 day ban which happens to fall when no important racing is on. And if it falls on important racing everyone complains it is unfair.

I used to compete in the sport of horse trials and I can tell you any rider who had a written or verbal warning for abuse of the whip was so mortified it very rarely happened. They had a two yellow card system which when together meant a red card and a several month ban, not sure the rules have ever been engaged

I couldn’t possibly disagree with anything here.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I agree completely with the tenor of this thread.Those who refused a jockey his license after he paid his fine and went overseas to ride now allow Johnson to train while awaiting justice. What is the point of paying the fine? He served his time and wanted to ride for his brother in Philadelphie but no; he was undesireable. But Johnson is still training and training winners.No justice. Rules are for the likes of Fallon who spent two years on the side line awaiting a hearing. But the friends of the court can do what they like.Shame.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

How can one possibly penalise a jockey for excessive use of the whip and allow Howard Johnson to treat horses the way he does? Are we living in a crazy world or what?

• Total Posts 1150

And we are still waiting for the list of 6 jockeys who involved in race fixing.

• Total Posts 980

And we are still waiting for the list of 6 jockeys who involved in race fixing.

According to the Guardian, it was between two & four weeks when they published the story on April 17th. So some time soon. I’d speculate on next week some time. They won’t do it during York.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

With reference to the Johnson case it was announced back in February that the case was being put back to the Summer . . . I can’t find my correspondence with Paul Struthers on the matter but off the top of my head it will he heard June or July.

The initial delay was because Johnson’s legal team asked for a three month delay in order to fully prepare their case. This would have come through to May and if I remember correctly the later date came about as it is the earliest date all the parties are available.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As Paul says, it has been known from early on that the hearing would be delayed until Summer, partly (though not wholly) bowing to the request of Howard Johnson, who asked for time to prepare his case.

When you are dealing with the possibility of long-term bans, stable staff’s livelihoods – and the vital security of horse welfare – it is in all cases important to make sure that everyone has time to marshal the evidence as clearly and completely as possible. Otherwise the BHA lays itself open to further legal action, time, cost and loss of credibility.

As there’s no surprise about this delay, why the sudden furore and demands for summary "justice" (or lynching)?

• Total Posts 661

As there’s no surprise about this delay, why the sudden furore and demands for summary "justice" (or lynching)?

No surprise to you, but obviously some people weren’t aware of it, hence this thread and the original question :shock:

Jesus, not another of those days!

• Total Posts 1150

Why would the BHA allow Johnson such a long period to come up with a defence. Why would it take 3 months to tell the truth.

It seems to me its fairly nice to have it during the summer. This should have been done last week straight after the season ended in UK to keep the integrity of NH Racing intact.

• Total Posts 447

Let us put this into perspective. When a person is charged with a criminal offence do they get given "a three month delay to fully prepare their case"?

And are they allowed to simply just get on with their lives between charge and trial? At the very minimum they have to pay bail, and for serious offences they are not granted bail. IN terms of rules of racing this is a VERY serious offence compared to say injecting the horse with drugs.

He should have to pay some kind of large bond to the authority on the dependence of an action as at least this would not only make him realize he cannot get away with this behaviour but also that the authorities are taking the matter seriously.

To me it just looks like an old boys club where they make up the rules as they go along in a completely arbitrary and unfair manner. Nicky Henderson’s ban was ridiculous and deliberately made to look like he was being punished without having any negative practical effect on the guilty party whatsever.

Sorry rant over!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

obviously some people weren’t aware of it, hence this thread and the original question

It’s not as if this matter hasn’t been covered before, in several threads. See for example this short one:

https://theracingforum.co.uk/horse-r … on#p364374

Muffin Man

made it clear we could expect nothing until July. Yet at least one of the current Summary Justice Brigade contributed to that thread too. Short-term memory loss?

• Total Posts 447

Also persons charged with criminal offences do not get to choose when the trial or punishment takes place this is decided by the Crown.

That 3 month delay thing is a completely ruse to try and get the inevitable ban run over summer. Completely cheating the system, though the system is hopeless anyway – shows a complete lack of integrity and morality about all the parties

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Let us put this into perspective. When a person is charged with a criminal offence do they get given "a three month delay to fully prepare their case"?

Usually more, as a matter of fact. The Crown Prosecution Service often needs double that time to prepare the evidence for a start, as they do not have limitless resource. And the better your legal team, the longer the delay can be.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.