The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How much did Inperial Monarch have in hand ?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks How much did Inperial Monarch have in hand ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

He ran alone far from the others. The herd instinct keeps them running when they want to quit. So how much better than those is he?

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25462

I’m trying to imagine what you would of wrote about the jockey had it lost Andyod? :mrgreen:

Member since March 2008
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The only jockey to follow orders no matter the consequences.
    Be sent to bed early otherwise.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

Andy what’s your problem with Joseph?? im intrigued.

Admiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 447

That was the craziest ride I have seen since Christophe Soumillion rode the French jump jockey’s to sleep in the French Champion Hurdle!

Good on wee Joey for pulling it off, it sure looked a decent animal

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Imperial Monarch will be going in to my TTTF lists, more for the St Leger than Derby. Do think Joseph took the tactics to the extreme. One thing to do the outer route, but he even went around the outside of turns. Didn’t cut the corner one little bit. However, could be argued that ground given away on corners was made up by his rivals keeping to the inner on straights. Time of the final race, (where they took Joseph’s route (although seemed to use the middle of turns not outer)) was significantly faster than the Esher Cup (where they kept towards the inner). Which suggests the "Route Of Joseph" was perhaps (on the whole) advantageous.

Imperial Monarch should come on for the run anyway and improve a lot with experience.

Value Is Everything
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

New York, New York. When you figure out how he earned first jockey at Ballydoyle without his daddy in the equation, let me know.That is my problem and I am still seeking an answer.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

As the old joke goes he was taking avantage of the horses staying ability.

Admiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 447

Andy have you ever taken a favour from a family member or relative to gain some social or employment advantage?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

That has to be the greatest understatement I have ever heard.A favor! He got the farm.He tied with two other apprentices for the Apprentice Championship and was rewarded by Daddy with first jockey at Ballydoyle.Think Cathy Gannon. But don’t get me started.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

He ‘got there’ because they recognised a major talent. Do you really think the Coolmore operation would put a jockey up on a potential multi-million earning stallion prospect just because he was the son of the trainer? Think again.

Everything he (JOB) has done has been spot on. I’ve said it before but he reminds me of Piggott, and I’m a huge fan of Lester so that is not said lightly.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

He is tall I agree.Lets not insult Lester.At this age(18) Lester was outriding Gordon Richards and winning Derbys.As I recall.

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 825

I thought it was a good tactical ride.

A good stretch of the route that Imperial Monarch took had trees nearby. Their roots would’ve sapped some of the moisture from that particular side of the track thus making it a touch easier to stride on whereas the other horses would’ve used up more energy in the earlier part of the race struggling in the more boggier ground. I know it’s all fractions but the strategy worked.

Imperial Monarch reminds me a bit of Workforce. Definitely one to take serious for the Derby.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Time of the final race, (where they took Joseph’s route (although seemed to use the middle of turns not outer)) was significantly faster than the Esher Cup (where they kept towards the inner). Which suggests the "Route Of Joseph" was perhaps (on the whole) advantageous.

This point was also made by Jonathan Neesom, but fails to take into account that de Sousa basically dictated a modest gallop in the early stages on Grey Mirage before gradually winding it up, whereas the Silken Thoughts race was run at a sound pace throughout.

I’m not saying the ground wasn’t quicker around the outside, it almost certainly was, but comparing these 2 races as indicators of how much quicker is hugely misleading imo.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Leaving aside the merit or otherwise of O’Brien I have no idea whether he gained a track advantage or not. All we know is he either felt he needed one or he couldn’t keep the horse straight.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The explanation given in the press was that they(Aidan and Joe)walked the course and determined to go on the ambulance tracks.

Admiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 447

The lad is talented in his own right no doubt. His ride on St Nic last year at Churchill was fantastic as was his Irish Guineas win. No way a massive commercial enterprise backed by billions of pounds would rely on him if he was not.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.