The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How does the horse know where the race is finished?

Home Forums Horse Racing How does the horse know where the race is finished?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ursens
    • Total Posts 15

Does the horse know were the race is finished at all?
    There is no finish line, just a little post on the side. So how could the horse know how far to go? Or doesn’t it matter anyway?
    (sorry for that strange question, but it really interests me :) )

• Total Posts 638

Huge big post with great, big, red lollipop on top…they have got eyes haven’t they?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

When the little fella with the stick stops beating the excrement out of him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

When it hears the sound of losing betting slips hit the floor.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

When the little fella with the stick stops beating the excrement out of him.

:) Funnily enough, the great horse whose name you humbly bear was never touched once by the whip.

But of course, his little fella didn’t need to resort to such needless persuasion aboard that particular animal. Both horse and jockey knew the race was won the minute the words "under starter’s orders" were uttered. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

When the jockey stops trying.Sometimes it happens before they reach the lollypop.

• Total Posts 980

Now I want a lollipop.

I suppose for the answer you just need to look at what a horse does with a jockey on it’s back (stop) when compared to what it does loose (not stop)

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

At the track the riderless horse will normally run to the barn area, then stop. Sometimes he will make a circuit of the track to get there.On most courses the horses enter the track close to the winning post and barn area so they run "home" when riderless.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

As a horse has a jockey on it’s back a more interesting question for me is, how does a greyhound know where the winning post is?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Very true and verrrrry interresting. 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

As a horse has a jockey on it’s back a more interesting question for me is, how does a greyhound know where the winning post is?

You cannot be serious !! :)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

When the lure is removed they stop running.It is normally removed out of sight of the dogs,around the bend after the winning post.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33014

To answer the question how I believe it was intended:

Some say:

The "he knew where the winning post was"; is often used when a horse looks as though he’s going to be passed and yet pulls out a bit more. This is probably due to a horse wanting to lead. In the wild there are horses who are natural leaders (head of the herd) and those who follow. In horse racing there are those who like to lead / be ridden prominently and those who follow (held up).

I presume you get those on the far point of either side: ie Those who need to lead, and those who don’t want to be in front under any circumstances. And every other group in between. e.g those who’d rather lead but don’t mind being led or those who want to follow, but don’t mind racing prominently etc.

So a horse who fights to remain in front (like Midnight Chase) possibly just wants to lead; whether he’s near the winning post or out in the country. It probably helps the horse try harder wanting to lead, rather than a follower who gets in front on sufference (like Character Building) and wants to to be overtaken. Sometimes even "downing tools" to do so.

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Actually sometimes a horse doesnt know that he’s finished and has to be told by the others in the race. Some arent that bright you see.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I don’t know. But some of them sure stick their neck out as if they do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.