The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horses that time forgot

Home Forums Horse Racing Horses that time forgot

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Severnsider1927
    • Total Posts 5

Hello all,
    Long time browser first time poster,I would like to mention two horses Knock Hill and Winnie The Witch both favorites of mine.

Anyone who is a fan of both of those horses can’t be all bad. Knock Hill one of my all-time favourites for owner Peter Thompson, who used to fly standby from New York when he ran.

Thanks Rory,
    Two other favorites of mine are Aonoch(as mentioned)form read 101010101 i think?? and Josh Giffords Door Latch

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

A few of my old favourites…

My namesake

Grey Dolphin

who ran up a huge sequence on firm ground on the Marches circuit with Granville Davies.

His stablemate

Yangtse-Kiang

who mixed decent flat sprint handicaps with 2 mile handicap chases.

Pat O’Connor’s

Toirdhealbach

, who always caused the commentators nightmares. An entire who ran in 2m Hcap Chases.

Tom Bill’s

Northern Bay

, a dour stayer who won the 4 miler in the days when it was a proper race!

Graham Roach’s

Prideaux Boy

, the second best horse to have been trained in Cornwall – who can name the best?

Michael Dickinson’s

W Six Times

who always seemed to win at Wolverhampton before it got ruined.

Michael Chapman’s

Ei Ei

, no superstar but game and consistent as any horse I have known.

rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

His stablemate

Yangtse-Kiang

who mixed decent flat sprint handicaps with 2 mile handicap chases.

That’s a name from the past. Brings back good memories of my first visit to Fontwell, when he won a 3 runner chase.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Graham Roach’s

Prideaux Boy

, the second best horse to have been trained in Cornwall – who can name the best?

Coome Hill, perhaps?

Nice list, by the way; I always pronounced Toirdhealbach "Tray-lock".

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

The horse with the nose in the ground; ?Seven Towers

Biotechy
    • Total Posts 120

Ah, some great names there, bringing back some old memories, my own & there are many Ive forgotten but as a Child the Crisp-Red Rum Grand National left a memory that has never left me and I still think he held on, Lanzarote, Pendil, The Dikler, Tied Cottage, Very Promising, Half Free, Combs Ditch, Burrough Hill Lad, Wayward Lad, Forgive N Forget, Muse, Relkeel & on the Flat-Blue Grass Prince, Ya Malak, Grey Shot, Provideo(record 2 yo race winner), Nayyir, Bosra Sham, Singspeil, Remember Ramon

emian
    • Total Posts 114

I got a pocket money raise after Nickle Coin won the ’59 GN.
    One half of my first winning double was Grey Of Falloden..a grand horse.
    At work I touted the chances of Party Politics and Romany King for the ’92 GN. There were beaming smiles all over the place on Monday.
    Southendonseabiscuit because the name tickled me.

• Total Posts 3

Blazing Walker (My favorite of all time. Injury ruined his career).
    Blitzkreig
    Kribensis
    Kings Fountain (Monster horse).
    Carvills Hill (Jumped like a frog)
    Remittance Man
    Celtic Shot
    Inglis Dreaver
    Full Strength
    Esha Ness.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The horse with the nose in the ground; ?Seven Towers

Jimmy Fitz had a horse called

Comeragh King

who was a bug*er for running with his head between his front legs!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Full Strength was killed on the back straight at Ascot. I rember watching it with a friend; just before it happened, I remember remarking to him how well Full Strength was jumping.
    It’s great to know he is still fondly remembered.

• Total Posts 3

Full Strength ran a good second to BW in the H & T Walker Gold Cup at Ascot. He beat BW a couple of races earlier. Great jumper and fast too. What a bloody waste.

Forgot to mention:

Teaplanter (Great Hunter)
    Mtoto
    Peter Davis

Nobody seems to give Oh So Sharp the credit she deserves, probably best filly of all time.

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Someone upthread mentioned Lacson. Does anyone know any more about him? I think he won the Sun Alliance, then won the Golden Miller Chase against some pretty established chasers, and then…I’ve no idea. Anyone?

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Hello Old Applejack

I think Lacson ran very well in the Whitbread after that but think he went wrong and not sure he was seen again.
    (Memory may be faulty). Recall him being erratic in his first races over fences but the penny seemed to drop to great effect in the Sun Alliance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Graham Roach’s

Prideaux Boy

Coome Hill, perhaps?

Oops forgot about him – he’d be up there with Prideaux. The one I’m thinking of won the Champion Hurdle, but he wasn’t trained in Cornwall by then!

• Total Posts 5

Sometimes you fall for ones that seem to run above their ability by trying rather than those who dont match up to there ability like Challenger Du Luc!

My hero is See You Sometime,who had an amazing enthusiasm for racing and won amd got placed in races he maybe shouldnt have,all guts.

Also Flagship Uberalles,if that horses back hadnt hurt he wouldve won more,a machine on his day.

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

Carrick Hill Lad trained by G W Richards would have won the Gold Cup for me if he hadn’t gone wrong coming down the hill to the home straight.
    I also remember being at Ayr one day when he cleared the last with feet to spare like Fondmort did at Cheltenham.

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

http://www.officialphotographers.gbr.cc/www.officialphotographers.gbr.cc/info.php?p=5&pno=0

There’s a few old favourites on there.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.