The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horses that time forgot

Home Forums Horse Racing Horses that time forgot

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

It’s hard to watch Golden Cygnets fall; a novice, he was about to thrash the select of the Golden Age of hurdlers; Monksfield was the only absentee. And, I think, he was giving all except Sea Pigeion 5lbs.
    Golden Cygnet, Dawn Run, Killiney, why is it always the best ones?

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

It’s hard to watch Golden Cygnets fall; a novice, he was about to thrash the select of the Golden Age of hurdlers; Monksfield was the only absentee. And, I think, he was giving all except Sea Pigeion 5lbs.
    Golden Cygnet, Dawn Run, Killiney, why is it always the best ones?

I was there that day and he was giving them all the mother and father of a beating when he went. Funny thing is that he got up and walked back but died a few days later in the veterinary hospital, the famous Roya Dick.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I agree totally befair that Golden Cygnet could have gone on to be an all time great. He was a tragic loss and sadly we will never know.
    That truly was a great era for hurdlers.
    My own personal favourite was Night Nurse, who at that time had claims imo to be one of the top all time NH horses i.e. dual champion hurdler and 2nd in a Gold Cup. I can still remember how sore my throat was from shouting for him as he rallied up the Cheltenham hill and closed on Little Owl. Sadly it wasnt to be and later along came the great Dawn Run who succeeded in doing the Champion Hurdle / Gold Cup double.
    RIP to all of them, true equine heros

Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

sweet duke sadly died during the smmer after his ayr second, he got colic :(

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

Wow – now this could be a very long list, but it is a wonderful thread and brings back so many names that I remember once seeing them written down.

Most of the horses who stick in my mind are the not the fastest ones on four legs – indeed some of them never won a race, but I still liked them very much and have always had a very soft spot for the underdog. I don’t expect many people to remember any of these horses, so don’t worry if you can’t :

Flat

Cantique

– owned by Mrs Harry Middleton and trained by Peter Nelson, and later by Bill Marshall – placed six times on the flat 1969-71, but sadly never won a race – turned over at odds of 1/2 in the St Catherines Stakes at Newbury in 1969, beaten a neck there, after losing her first race to Village Boy at Goodwood by a short head.Later went to stud in Ireland and exported to Colombia in 1975, where she bred a couple of winners. Had her last foal in Colombia in 1982.

Sergeant Sam

– another who could do anything except win in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, owned by Roger Mann, trained by Vernon Cross,placed many times at sprint distances including a heartbreaking short head defeat at Windsor on TV.

Kentucky Fair

– big favourite of mine, owned by John Manley (who now owns Dick Turpin), trained by Barry Hills, and later Paul Cole – winner of 3 flat races, two hurdles and a steeplchase – retired sound in about 1977 and I saw him in retirement in 1990, looking fit and well.

Remand

– trained by Dick Hern – unbeaten as a 2 year old and well fancied for Sir Ivor’s Derby I think in 1968, but injured in finishing 4th. Came back after a lay off to win, but never really the same horse afterwards.

La Lagune

– another from 1968, trained by Francois Boutin (I think) and a very impressive winner of the Oaks by 5 lengths that year, coming to the race unbeaten in three starts, and winning in a canter after being well back at Tattenham Corner. Amazingly never won another race, and I never understood quite what went wrong.

Marisela

– another Francois Boutin filly from the same era,owned by the flamboyant Mexican actress Maria-Felix Berger, and often ridden by Sandy Barclay. Runner-up in three of four starts as a 2 year old, including in the Cheveley Park Stakes behind Waterloo, also 2nd to Waterloo in the One Thousand Guineas in 1972 ? – winner of the Prix de la Calonne at Deauville over 1 mile the same season, beating future Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe winner San San by a head. Later retired to stud

There are a lot more horses who I followed through thick and thin, but the list is endless. NH horses to follow !

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Sally Olivers

Aonoch

,the horse who beat See You Then over 21/2m at Aintree,he was a profitable horse to follow!

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

Here are a few National Hunt horses, who some may remember, and who have never been forgotten by me :

Oregon Trail

– winner over hurdles and had a very successful time chasing in the late 1980’s winning the Arkle Trophy at Cheltenham

Racoon

– no – not the sprinter we know today, but the Irish bred chaser trained by Fulke Walwayn in the late 1960’s, and early 1970’s. Won at Ascot over 3 miles beating Gobion Goblin by 10 lengths, but always a chancy jumper and was killed in that season’s Grand National after falling at the 3rd fence (broke his neck). I was heartbroken and in floods of tears. :cry:

Tenterclef

– very useful 2 mile chaser in the early 1970’s and a fine big horse – won the Mildmay Novices Chase at Aintree, ridden by Barry Brogan and trained by Peter Ransome – won 11 chases in all, but sadly, broke a leg at home after winning his final start at Sandown and had to be put down. :cry:

Happy Ranger

– started on the flat with either Paul Davey or Michael Jarvis, but didn’t win – perhaps not an easy horse to train as he had long spells on the sidelines – but won 2 steeplechases at Chepstow and Cheltenham and finished 7th in Red Rum’s 1977 Grand National, running a fine race.I really liked this horse.

There are many many others, too numerous to detail in full, so here is a short list :

Persian Camp
    Border Mask
    Border Incident
    Into View
    Arcturus
    King Kong
    Royal Marshal II
    Kinloch Brae
    Freddie
    Cherry Traces
    Barnard
    Domacorn
    Fearless Fred
    Salvador III
    Coral Diver

and many others………… :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

young hustler
    young kenny
    barton bank

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Please delete. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Some of my old favourites include Willie Wumpkins, Uncle Bing and Anaglog’s Daughter.

I was thinking about Fifty Dollars More yesterday, didnt he win the Mackeson

He did indeed; Artifice kicked on down the hill and looked to have the race in the bag but his stride shortened up the hill and Fifty Dollars More came from ten lengths down at the last to collar his rival close home.

Severnsider1927
    • Total Posts 5

Hello all,
    Long time browser first time poster,I would like to mention two horses Knock Hill and Winnie The Witch both favorites of mine.

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

One I just about remember from my childhood is Emo Forever. I think he ran decent races in handicap hurdles, but it was the name that caught my attention. It was about the same time that Emo Phillips was becoming known in the UK and to the young me, he was the one of the weirdest and strangely fascinating people I’d ever seen. Due to the name, I assumed he owned this horse, and whenever I saw it, I wanted it to do well for him.

I was probably a bit strange myself, all told.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Still around to this day, OA, albeit less rarely seen in the last 10 years or so as he’s an absolute martyr to back trouble. Here he is at an Edinburgh spin-off show this year;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywEDvBTzM0

Per Emo Forever, you may have noticed that there is now a Forever Emo doing the rounds in novice chases. Don’t think he’s related.

Of course, nowadays the name of either horse could just as readily spring to mind images of sullen, whiney My Chemical Romance fans as the sublime Mr Phillips, but I’d sooner not go there, ta. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

One I just about remember from my childhood is Emo Forever. I think he ran decent races in handicap hurdles, but it was the name that caught my attention. It was about the same time that Emo Phillips was becoming known in the UK and to the young me, he was the one of the weirdest and strangely fascinating people I’d ever seen. Due to the name, I assumed he owned this horse, and whenever I saw it, I wanted it to do well for him.

I was probably a bit strange myself, all told.

Emo forever

, i remember him well,owned by Andy McCluskey not of OMD fame,trained by Peter Easterby and ridden by J,j o"Neill,i backed the b*gger in the Coral Qualifier at the Cheltenham December meeting at 5/1,he went off a well backed fav and won comfortably! I stayed loyal to him in the final of the series the following March at 16/1,he ran his heart out to finish 2nd to Terry ramsdens Motivator who was laid out for it! :evil:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Hello all,
    Long time browser first time poster,I would like to mention two horses Knock Hill and Winnie The Witch both favorites of mine.

Anyone who is a fan of both of those horses can’t be all bad. Knock Hill one of my all-time favourites for owner Peter Thompson, who used to fly standby from New York when he ran.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Little more than a nostalgia fest but I love it
    Lacson
    British Smelter
    Iceman
    Tree Tangle
    Fort Devon
    Easter Eel
    Approaching
    Royal Judgement
    Keelby Kavalier
    Saint Fillans
    Whippers Delight
    Twin Oaks
    Even Dawn
    Dorlesa
    and the H Thomson Jones pair Jolly`s Clump and Sweet Joe

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I was trying to remember the name of a horse with a low head carriage who’s nose scraped along the ground…would I be right in saying it could have been Fort Devon?

List is endless

Winter Rain
    Tanlic
    Even Keel
    Fiddler on the Hoof
    Belcanto
    Treggaron
    Cottycootlecottage
    Spondulics
    Quick Reply
    Rubstic
    Highway Rambler
    Canadius
    Titus Oats
    Braw Lad
    Aristo Treat
    Tepylon
    Cloudwalker
    Lucky Bay
    Timminion
    Keelby Kavalier
    Fine Sun
    Abandoned Warrior
    Arcturus
    Harwell
    Black Ice
    Bootlaces
    Snowtown Boy
    Flash Bulb
    Super Flash
    Squire Silk
    Celtic Rhyde
    Spartan General
    What a Myth
    Sempervivum
    Magic Court
    Salmon Spray
    King Cutler

We always remember the winners :wink:

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.