The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hopeless Persistence

Home Forums Horse Racing Hopeless Persistence

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Why do some trainers persist in entering horses for races they are obviously not suited to, rather than ones they might possibly win. Why can they not see the blindingly obvious?

I have just watched a 10-y-o mare called Maizy Missile fail dismally, as I thought she would, to cope in a 21f chase at Ffos Las.
    When checking form I noted that, back in 2010/11, she was a fairly useful hurdler at 16-17f. Won or placed 4 times on the trot. Not high class stuff but getting home pretty well.

Then her owner/trainer seems to have decided she is a 21f chaser, which she quite obviously is not, and has now run her 4 times this season with no sign of ability.

If you check her form back further she has run over 21f or more many times in her life with no result, even over hurdles. It must be so disheartening for her as she’s not enjoying it, and what a waste of entry fees!

Makes no sense to me. Or am I missing something? :?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

One to watch for when over her right trip, but a really shrewd trainer would run her over the right trip tenderly handled with a pre-conceived plan somewhere along the line. There could be a race earmarked, its just guessing if it is going to be anytime soon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.