The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hobbs/National runners

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hobbs/National runners

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KendalCavalier
    • Total Posts 337

Has Mr Hobbs thrown his toys out of the pram with Aintree or something? Boychuk, Captain Corelli, Parsons Legacy and Monkerhostin ALL taken out???? Strange.

He can seem a bit tiresome in his interviews so I wonder what has happened.

KendalCavalier
    • Total Posts 337

We also have a position where the 40th horse (Royal Auclair) will carry 10-10. The trend brigade will soon have to rethink the 11st stat if this continues.

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I wouldn’t have thought anything sinister whatsoever, and certainly not throwing toys out of the pram. Of that named quartet, Monkerhostin hated the whole experience last year, Captain Corelli has no chance of getting in, and Boychuk appeals as the sort of horse that would spit the dummy out at the mere sight of an Aintree fence. That leaves just Parsons Legacy – and with him the reason must be either a) he is injured (hence no run since January and a non-appearance at the Cheltenham Festival which he has such a fine record in), or b) they are keeping him fresh for another tilt at the Scottish National which he was arguably unlucky to lose last year.

Hobbs generally comes across as one of the more level-headed trainers around and probably realises that there is no point in having a runner in the National just for the sheer hell of it.

The "trends brigade" have known for quite a while that the infamous 11st statistic is becoming less important with every passing year. The major thing that this is highlighting is how ridiculous the handicapping of National runners has become. If Phil Smith doesn’t want this race to be a proper handicap, he may as well just let every horse run off eleven stone.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

HJ, if you are correct about the withdrawal of the three horses mentioned above, why do you think they were entered?

I have spoken to Philip Hobbs, on course and over the telephone and he has always been very approachable. I have heard that others haven’t had the same experience with Mrs. Hobbs.

Colin

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I’ve no idea Colin, presumably either to appease an owner, give him "options", or simply to see whether the handicapper would make an almighty rick with one of them, leaving them 20lbs well in.

I’d be interested to know of the unpleasant experiences people have had with Mrs Hobbs, I’ve had dealings with her in the past and have had no problems whatsoever. Anyway, whether Philip or Sarah are "nice people" or not is beside the point.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

Let’s just hope that connections see sense and don’t run Contraband.

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 905

i was actually surprised to see parsons legacy pulled out

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

A friend of mine wrote to Mr. Hobbs a few years ago to ask why he’d entered horses for the National that subsequently didn’t run, and he was just told if you don’t enter you can’t run….I think the horse in question was Gunther McBride, and he wanted it to run but the owners didn’t. Recently I’ve stopped backing horses ante post for the National because so many of them are withdrawn.

Brody
    • Total Posts 11

Bit gutted about Parsons being pulled out, had a small ante-post on him. Suppose I should have been more worried by the long lay off since his last run and the Cheltenham non-appearance.

High Ken
    • Total Posts 47

All we are going to be left with are McManus/Hemmings/Ogden/Stewart horses and not much else!! Thank the lord we don’t have horses coupled in the betting or it would get very boring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.