The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Help required – Larkspur Stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing Help required – Larkspur Stakes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Hi

apparently the Larkspur Stakes used to be a Group race, run in Ireland.

I’d like to know what distance it was.

There are a couple of Larspur Mdns on the RP database, run at the Curragh in 95 & 96, but that ain’t the race I’m looking for.

Gerald

edit: Have just found out it was a G3 at Leopardstown, but still don’t know the distance.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

It was 7 furlong contest, won by Storm Bird and Try My Best amongst others.

Rob

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Thanks Rob.

I’m guessing it would have been a 3yo race?

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Seven furlongs, for two year olds. Also won by The Minstrel.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Doh, I should have worked out it was for 2yos – I doubt Try My Best would have run in one [edit: Group 3, that is] as a 3yo.

Anyway, thanks. It gives me a glimmer of hope, stamina-wise.

[Further edit: I’m exposing my ignorance even more – looks like Try My Best was mainly a 2yo. I’ll shut up now.]

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Doh, I should have worked out it was for 2yos – I doubt Try My Best would have run in one [edit: Group 3, that is] as a 3yo.

Anyway, thanks. It gives me a glimmer of hope, stamina-wise.

Go on, Gerald, which horse is it with the Larkspur winner in the pedigree?

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Golden Flight.

Because Johnny O’Day didn’t have a FSI, I allocated him one of 15 furlongs in my GN spreadsheet. This seemed quite reasonable earlier this year, because most of the damsires without one are NH stallions, whose few Flat runners don’t manage to be quick enough to win a race. Looks like I’ll have to get rid of that 15, which removes Golden Flight from my shortlist of 27. Unfortunately, I’ve already put £40 on him for 2010.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Golden Flight.

Because Johnny O’Day didn’t have a FSI, I allocated him one of 15 furlongs in my GN spreadsheet. This seemed quite reasonable earlier this year, because most of the damsires without one are NH stallions, whose few Flat runners don’t manage to be quick enough to win a race. Looks like I’ll have to get rid of that 15, which removes Golden Flight from my shortlist of 27. Unfortunately, I’ve already put £40 on him for 2010.

Crikey!

Remember most National Hunt Stallions were once 2yos, and therefore campaigned at trips up to a mile. For what it’s worth, Johnny O’Day raced at up to a mile and a half as a 3yo (in 1980) being suited by ten furlongs according to Timeform. His last race was in the Doonside Cup at Ayr’s western Meeting, over eleven furlongs.

My opinion is that his stamina index, or a guesstimate thereof, is of dubious use given how moderate, or poorly patronised he seems to have been as a sire. Have a look at the careers of some of the better known NH stallions as racehorses for an idea of how his profile matches up if you need to.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Its okay, I’ve only been betting with spare money anyway.

Just in future if I come across an unknown damsire for a chaser without a FSI, if the suffix is (FR) 15 will be reasonable, if it is (USA) it won’t!

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

A motley collection of past winners.

As well as the aforementioned classic horses, top sprinter Current Coin and smart hurdler Decent Fellow also won this race.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I don’t think I remember Current Coin.

I did the same thing with Mon Mome’s damsire. Looks like he gets chucked as well, but it is a bit late for 2009. I’ll have to alter my selection method. On the other hand, although its garbage, it fits the trends.

edit: Bleeding hell, no wonder I don’t remember him I was only 3 when he won the Larkspur, and I didn’t start following racing until I was 5.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.