The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Help – C Colombi?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Does anybody know who C Colombi is?

He is riding the red hot fav in the 2nd race at Wolverhampton.

I am the first to admit my knowledge of jockeys is almost non existent outside of the UK, but internet searches show no results for him. He is having his first ride ever in England if you go by the stats, but he is not claiming anything so I presume he is a professional.

Can anybody help?

Mike

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I believe riding is a third career after some discovery/detective work.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I believe riding is a third career after some discovery/detective work.

Thanks for that DJ,

I think I will lay the fav, in hope that his previous two professions were a seasonal Father Christmas and a heavyweight wrestler :lol:

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Lol DJ,

Sorry, I’ve still got a hangover but I’ve just got your joke. Colombi, Columbo :lol:

Sorry for being slow :lol:

Mike

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

Apart from the unknown in the saddle, why would anyone pay 13,500gns for a 7-y-old gelding in July, then run it in a seller where it can be claimed for £6,000 a month later?

AP

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Apart from the unknown in the saddle, why would anyone pay 13,500gns for a 7-y-old gelding in July, then run it in a seller where it can be claimed for £6,000 a month later?

AP

Like that 2yo of O’Neills last week, they must be banking on it winning ap. Would you want to claim it if it couldn’t win this race? I’m sure someone will though unless a leg falls off.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

That would be Claudio Colombi I think. He’s Italian and Luca Cumani has used him before in his native country.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I didn’t see it, could only hear it but it sounded like a pretty good ride full of confidence.
    Who was the caller? He sounded like one of those Aussies!

‘Young up and coming apprentice’ the commentators called him? (On Will Hill radio)

I thought he was a senior rider :shock:

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

Steering job, you could have won on it Kingston Town :shock:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

I used to imagine winning races just like that a few years ago :shock: – well quite a few years ago……………. :lol:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Annambo was sold on to Ron Harris for 14,000 guineas.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

AP,
    Wouldn’t the minimum claiming price be irrelevant if the horse wins? I thought the winner was ‘sold by auction’, thus giving connections the opportunity to keep the horse or underbid on it sufficiently to ensure that if someone else gets the horse, they will have paid plenty for it.

I know this can be risky – New York Oscar was claimed after narrowly losing out in a seller on his debut last season – but I’m guessing that gambling connections might view this kind of strategy with this kind of horse as a bit of a ‘cash cow’ if they’re careful…

nv

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

NV,

You’re quite right, but the risk is present if the horse gets beaten.

As it is, they’ve lost money as the course gets half of the amount paid over the minimum bid of £3000 – unless Wolverhampton have altered their arrangements for sellers, something that courses now have the freedom to do, although I’ve yet to hear of any giving up their 50% of the surplus.

AP

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

You’re right NV,

But what AP said is also correct, as if the horse hadn’t won, you can then buy any of the beaten horses for £6,000 – meaning Annambo could have gone to another stable for £6,000 if he hadn’t have won.

In hindsight, the fact that the trainer bought it for £13,500, and then ran it in a race where the only way he could avoid losing the horse for £6,000 was for it to win, was a tip in itself :lol:

Though, at 8/15 I didn’t mind missing that one. But if I knew the jockey was that accomplished, I would have lumped on as it did look a penalty kick on form – it was just the jock that put me off.

Mike

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

These horses commonly get put straight back into sellers for one reason only – the trainer got it home and found something desperately wrong with it.
    I know of one horse whos races went like this:
    2nd – Claimed for £6k
    1st – Brought for £12k
    1st – Brought for £9k
    That horse had more cortisone running through his veins than blood, the 3rd buying trainer finally did the decent thing and retired it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.