The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Help a new trainer out in the stewards room

Home Forums Horse Racing Help a new trainer out in the stewards room

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

S A Callaghan has his first ever runner as a trainer today having taken over from his father. He runs Wynberg in the 2:50 Wolverhampton.

This horse has already been backed into clear favourite on Betfair at 3.65.

On form this horse has absolutely no chance of winning but with it being the trainers first ever runner and judging by the market (check the graph on betfair) I have a feeling he may bolt up today. If he wins the trainer will surely have to answer to the stewards and give reasons for the improved form today. I have listed some possible excuses he can use as this horse has ‘layed out gamble’ written all over it.

#He flew out of the stalls last time at Lingfield and tried to make all. Lingfield is a tough course to make the running and the 7f trip seemed to stretch his stamina. The drop down in trip and Wolverhampton suited the horse much better today and is reason for the improvement.

# The race before at Southwell, he missed the break and could not recover, he also did not appreciate having fibresand kicked in his face and sulked.

# With me being a new trainer, maybe I have just worked some magic with this horse (even though I would have been working exactly the same under my father)

# 3 runs ago he hit traffic in running at Lingfield and stumbled (im sure they didnt hit traffic on purpose and it was just one of those things).

# He has taken a while to get the hang of things, but seems to have strengthened up in the 17 days since his last run and has finally got the hang of things.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this race (I must admit I got my ideas from a blog I read, but the guy writing surely has a good point).

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

Wynberg’s owners include the gentlemen who landed a gamble with Fade To Grey at Kempton during the week, so perhaps they are just redistributing some of their winnings.

If the horse wins, his performance will automatically be referred to head office as he’s never been placed, but in the eight years since the relevant instruction on this was introduced, no trainer has ever been penalised for winning a handicap in such circumstances.

So whatever Simon says, it probably won’t make any difference.

AP

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

# 3 runs ago he hit traffic in running at Lingfield and stumbled (im sure they didnt hit traffic on purpose and it was just one of those things)..

Funny old world, I was there that day, Wynberg was generally showing at 25/1, but came into 20/1 immediately before the off in a flurry of activity. As you say, it seemed to stumble, but I got the impression it was one to watch, so it went into the book! Even though it has shown nothing since, I am not all that surprised about today’s betting. We shall see. :lol:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The horse’s first run in a nursery was ‘eye catching’ to say the least. In 2 subsequent starts it has been easy to back. I have no doubt the horse is on a handicap mark he can win off when he’s wanted, and it looks as though today could be the day.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

Surprisingly he ran his best ever race today, shooting 3 lengths clear and trading as short as 1.61 on Betfair in running before Fulford took care of him. Was a good run in 2nd place though and Im sure the connections will have been pleasantly surprised with the improved form it showed today and may even have had a cheeky e/w bet on him at the early prices. :P

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.