The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hawkes and Ingham split

Home Forums Horse Racing Hawkes and Ingham split

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Huge news out of Sydney this evening :shock:

Hot on the heels of the announcement earlier today of the closure of the Woodlands Stud/Ingham’s Brisbane stables it was announced that Hall of Fame trainer John Hawkes and the Woodlands Stud operation are splitting.

The split is set to take place at the conclusion of the spring carnival – around November 15 and Peter Snowden, currently the Sydney based stable foreman for the Woodlands operation, will take over the training of the Ingham owned performers.

Hawkes is expected to continue training for outside clients and most likely retain a presence in Brisbane and Melbourne.

Recruited from South Australia, Hawkes has been in charge of the Woodlands Stud racing operation for well over a decade.

Wonder why? :shock:

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Im aware of the operation. But I didnt hear any rumblings over here that this was going to happen but thats perhaps cause im too far away.

Was it a complete shock or were there any rumours of a strained relationship? Maybe he was just feeling the pressure.

JC

SHL

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

No, it’s been (as far as I know from my lot over there) a complete shock.
    He did always get on better with Jack Ingham – I think much more so than he ever did with Bob, so maybe it was always eventually going to happen.
    Hawkes may have trained many winners but let’s face it you would be hard pushed finding anyone who could honestly say he was a pleasure to be around. :wink:

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

……..well apart from D Beadman that is :lol:

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

No, it’s been (as far as I know from my lot over there) a complete shock.
    He did always get on better with Jack Ingham – I think much more so than he ever did with Bob, so maybe it was always eventually going to happen.
    Hawkes may have trained many winners but let’s face it you would be hard pushed finding anyone who could honestly say he was a pleasure to be around. :wink:

Theres actually a hurdler named after Jack Ingham currently in training here in Ireland with Eddie O Grady. Owned by John Magnier and he is a full brother to former (very good) chaser by the name of …..Nick Dundee!! Obviously on an Australian theme there

SHL

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Nick Dundee would have hacked up in the next three Gold Cups but for that fall :(

Always sad when a trainer and owner go there seperate ways, where Woodlands Hawkes only big owners KT?

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Woodlands Stud are massive in Australia. Owned by the ‘chicken kings’ so they were never short of money to pour in.
    They have only recently though (last 2 years) started to seriously buy at the sales, they were generally racing home breds.
    When that long used ploy started to fall in a heap off they went to the sales and spent megga bucks for anything they could lay their hands on, including a ludicrous $2.5 million for a half to Makybe Diva – He (Musket) won on debut at Canterbury mid-week 11 months ago and then ran 3rd at the same track in February. Hasn’t been seen since but is expected back this spring.
    Hawkes has other owners IS, but all minor ones. Be very interesting to see how he goes and how the foreman (Snowden) goes now he’s in charge of Sydney.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

News is that when they announced the closure of the Brisbane stables (run by Hawkes’ son Michael) big wig wam John got the huff. (Now there’s a surprise :lol: )
    So they will now all join up together – John, Michael and Wayne (Melbourne) and train as a team – have no idea where though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.