The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Haskell Invitational 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Haskell Invitational 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Any thoughts on this one?

Coral are the first to go up on the Mid-Summer feature at Monmouth.

An interesting runner for me is Bunker Hill. He won his first three starts in a MCL, Allowance and minor stakes before a defeat and a poor run on turf on Derby night at Churchill Downs. He returned with a poor run when fractitious at the start and most recently ran a decent second to the high class Big Drama. The most interesting thing for me is how this horse has been working in the blinkers he’ll be sporting on Sunday evening, 59.40 and 49.00 flat for 5f and 4f respectively in recent weeks – those are G1 horse times and as long as he can run those sort of fractions in the race he’s no 100/1 shot.

Will be backing him win each-way (first two) with Coral and then WPS on the US Tote.

Martin
    ps. he takes on wonderfilly Rachel Alexandra, sprinter IMO Munnings and my favourite US horse Summer Bird amongst others :wink:

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

How can an invitational race be a Group 1?

Surely, it can’t have any more status, in terms of the Pattern, than a sales race.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

It’s not technically an invitational – if you want to enter you say "I want an invite" and they send you one.

In a similar way there would be no G1’s in Japan Ven since you have to be Japanese bred to contest them (or most of them at least).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

There were significant losses on Bunker Hill when they had a battle there and sorry to say your cash looks to be heading that way.

Those who have been over impressed by Sea the Stars should perhaps go and have a look at this Rachel Alexandra and see what a real champion looks like. She is unreal the way she draws a way from other horses without any apparant effort. She won the Oaks so easily and by so far it would embarrass Overdose. No horse is unbeatable but she looks to be so I intend hammering RA if results go my way today.

Her legs could fall off and she’d still beat Bunker Hill who is only there to make the numbers up and try and grab some dosh if he’s lucky enough to pick of beaten horses and beat a couple home.

Keep your money in your pocket mate Bunker Hill wont get within 50 lengths of the first 2 in what looks like being a very good race but hopfully with only one winner:-

Rachel Alexandra
    :

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

I’m more than happy to take a risk on the PMU and at 100/1 also. Don’t rate the Godolphin purchase or Papa Clem who seems to have left his running on the Derby Trail, like I say Munnings is a sprinter and it boils down to three horses – Bunker has to improve a lot for the blinkers but he wouldn’t be the first to do so.

The safest bet is just tanking on Rachel for the win at 5/4 with Coral mind.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Ach why not. I think i will have a very small e/w stake on the 100/1 shot. It’s a bit of an excuse to watch it if anything else. If RA goes all guns blazing then something can pin her back inside the last furlong.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

She probably won’t have to go out with all guns blazing as Munnings is a remendously fast sprinter. The pace in this will be a lot faster than Bunker Hill could go falling off a cliff :lol:

Munnings wont last IMO but will give Rachel Alexandra a good tow round this should be a formality for her as I can see Summer Bird keeping tabs on them.

1-2 could pay nicely.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

I think tactically Munnings is the key factor, he has the speed too go with Rachel Alexandra, her class allowed her too win the preakness from the front.

I suspect they will let Munnings play silly buggers up front then pick him off turn for home.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Rachel Alexandra will keep on winning and winning and winning……until she meets Zenyatta!

That’s IF her connections are brave enough.

Why all this talk about Sea The Stars and Ripper challenging for honours in, I would think, the Breeders Cup Classic?

Zenyatta will destroy the pair of them, too!

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Rachel Alexandra will keep on winning and winning and winning……until she meets Zenyatta!

That’s IF her connections are brave enough.

Why all this talk about Sea The Stars and Ripper challenging for honours in, I would think, the Breeders Cup Classic?

Zenyatta will destroy the pair of them, too!

Connections won’t be running her in the BC. It’s a good job really, and Zenyattas connections should do the same, because the Breeders Cup classic is gonnae be RipVanWinkle day. :lol: :lol:

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

I was thinking about this when I watched The Sunday Forum this morning. The panel were discussing the possibility of Sea The Stars and Rip Van Winkle meeting again.

If Ripper competes again over ten furlongs, will connections persist with the front running tactics?

I can’t imagine Ripper being able to dominate in a Breeders Cup Classic.

Sea The Stars would be ‘our’ best hope. You can put him anywhere, has the tactical speed to maintain a position and finishes strongly.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I doubt it mate. I think O’Brien would adopt Coral Eclipse tactics. He knows it would be best to keep an eye on Zenyatta and come in late.

A worry could be well armed if he comes back good on his American re-appearance, although i don’t know when that’ll be.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Zenyatta has yet too start against the males, if she and Rachel do go in the classic then I can see Rachel up with the pace too try and either slow the race too a crawl too ruin Zenyattas tactics and turn it into a sprint.

Galileos on the alweather, we shall see…

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Anyway. back to the race. OK now R.A is the obvious choice but is too short to back unless it’s decent money. So for a bit of fun i went back in for

Duke of Mischief

at 20/1. I followed the Iowa derby forum and one of the American races from last night when Soul Warrior beat big drama.

The Vintner
    • Total Posts 110

Damn.
    That’s a performance to take your breath away.

Our Vic
    • Total Posts 99

That was a BRILLIANT performance. Great ride from Borel, and what a turn of foot to take a 6 length lead into the straight. 

Summer Bird ran a very respctable race to take 2nd, and it will be suprising if he can’t take another good race this season, and more Group 1 success is not out of the question, with it being more a where and when, not an if mattter. 

In my opionion, Munnings is proving value for his $1,700,000,000 price tag. This was an admirable pace setting performance from him and he could take a Grade 1 where the empasis is on speed over a trip about 1 – 1/2 furlongs shorter. 

All in all, what a filly.  

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Wasn’t quite impressive looking as she usually is wih all the muck and shyte flying about but she was just outside the track record which tell you everything.

When you look at Her and Zenatta and the way they quicken I doubt if anything we have would see the way they went.

Rachael would be my choice to get first run on Zenatta if they met.

She looks to have just that little bit more instant acceleration. I watched Zenatta who took just that little bit too long to get going in a fast run 3/4. She beat the opposition easily in the end but not by far enough to make me think she could catch RA the way she kicks.

I couldn’t see Sea the Stars finding the acceleration RA does of fast paces like that. I reckon she would kick him right into touch. Against Zenatta? Not sure but she is so big and strong I think she would just have too much power for him.

If I was Oxx I would hope the Arc is run on good ground and go there instead.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.