The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Harchibald

Home Forums Horse Racing Harchibald

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Whilst I can understand how you came to this perspective, it’s worth bearing in mind…

He has shown obvious class but those performances were at full fitness nearly two years ago.

He has been off with an injury for a long period of time.

He has a long season ahead with obvious targets not only at Cheltenham but also Aintree and in after that in Ireland.

We all know what a difference two years and an injury can make to a horse, yet keeping in mind his high class wins in the past, you can’t expect connections to have him fully wound up for a contest such as this on the first day in October.

Did you seriously expect him to walk all over then today (even if that would only result in a half length victory)?

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Very harsh on a horse who clearly did not "dog" it today….he was absolutely bolloxed at the finish…barely walked across the line.

quixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

I,m very keen on characters & Harchibald  certainly falls into that category. He certainly has loads of ability, but whether he chooses to apply it is another matter, I know he’s had a layoff, but if he decides it’s a going (or should I say passing the horse in front) day he’s perfectly capable of doing it, if not, well we’ve all witnessed that a few times! Still better than being boring & predictable, although he won’t be going in my RP Ten to Follow!

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Certainly wasnt fit enough today.  That combined with the fact that he is a bridle horse….and that was the result.

SHL

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Out to 14s for the Champion Hurdle

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

It’s Arc day guys? What’s going on?

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

As soon as Harchibald was asked to move onto the quarters of Scarthy lad, he came right off the bit.

Because he absolutely blew up its as simple as that.

You say he is getting worse….strange that he recieved his highest ever RPR just two runs ago when hitting 171 at Cheltenham.

As for dodging races….there is a pretty similar theme in most of his races….Brave Inca and extremely tough horse to get past. Did Macs Joy dodge it in the Champion Hurdle this year when he came through to challenge both HE and Brave Inca travelling much the better?

To me Harchibald is not the greatest fighter in the world but I wouldnt describe him as ungenuine. He does not run away from the whip, he does not run around under pressure, he does not swish his tail etc He simply gives his all on the bridle but has nothing left to give off it.

Lets not forget he did come very close to winning a Champion Hurdle, beating Brave Inca and the rest of the field bar Hardy Eustuce. He is also only a 7 year old and should be approaching his peak this season and next.

Regardless I am sure people have their views made up on the horse already, but it is grossly unfair (and indeed plain wrong) to judge a horse in absolutely bottomless conditions today coming back from a serious injury particularly when a blind man could see the horse physically could not finish any faster today.<br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Ever thought of a career in PR Aidan? He is a dog, pure and simple, has been for over 2 years and will continue to be for the rest of season.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

With regards to today’ race, I simply think he was unfit.

You can say the winner had a longer lay off and it’s true, but different horses and indeed different trainers prepare horses coming back from lay offs for different races and in different ways.

The winner could ‘bounce’ next time out, could have been set out for this race and so on, but there’s no doubt where the aims for Harchibald were from the outset.

What happens in their next races will be interesting.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Grasshopper on 5:31 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]

Quote: from cormack15 on 5:25 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]It’s Arc day guys? What’s going on?<br>

What’s an ‘Arc’, Corm?

<br>Beat me to it, GH!

My tuppence would be that this is the fourth year running Harchibald has started his campaign in this Tipperary contest (run variously as a G1 or G2), having previously recorded a lucky win on soft, a 29l third on soft and an 18l fourth on good to firm. That reads very much like a "needs first run" sort of horse to me – the shirking of the issue tends to occur later in the season and when he’s actually in proper danger of slugging out a finish.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 6:55 pm on Oct. 1, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from cormack15 on 5:25 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]It’s Arc day guys? What’s going on?<br>

Ah, but the autumn is well here and the jumps about to start seriously with Nicholls rolling out his battalions.<br>I look forward to the good and bad of my favourite jockey, the excellent TJ Murphy ,whose unpredictability makes complulsive viewing.<br>5 winners in 2 days including a treble for 3 different trainers today.<br>Brilliant waiting rides will be mixed in with "non triers", improper riding etc as he has his periods of self destruction.<br>Compulsive viewing when compared to the dour professionalism  of Mc Coy et al.  

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

It’s certainly been more good than bad from Murphy these last weeks, Lingfield – getting the likes of the reluctant Kings Brook to consent to win two Class 2s was no small feat.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Even an unfit Harchibald – yes, even one as unfit as the one that was hammered in this by Solerina two years ago – should be cuffing the tail out of today’s opposition, if everything else is in normal working order.

Thats exactly my point…..everything clearly was not in working order…

You say he is getting worse….how on earth last year did he go by Intersky Falcon and co giving them 8lbs up the Cheltenham hill on easy going? How on earth did he pass 12 other horses in his Champion Hurdle 2nd if he is such a dog including the likes of Brave Inca and co? Even in the next race after that he beat Macs Joy.

So you may go on and on about what a "mut" the horse is and name off all the horses you think will beat him….Macs Joy, Brave Inca, Hardy Eustuce etc etc….the truth is he has actually finished ahead of those horses at some stage.

A simple simple question will answer all. What price will you give me if Harchibald faces any of the horses he met today again later in the season? If you seriously think his "temperment" or lack of will was the sole reason for him finishing legless today in bottomless ground I presume you would expect those who finished in front of him today to do so again for the rest of the season because as you put it "it is becoming more prevelant".

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 8:42 pm on Oct. 1, 2006[br]It’s certainly been more good than bad from Murphy these last weeks, Lingfield – getting the likes of the reluctant Kings Brook to consent to win two Class 2s was no small feat.

gc

True indeed.<br>However characteristically he gets going but faces a 14 day non triers ban

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

I have a position about Harchibald, which I’m entitled to hold. Relax, would you?

I am perfectly relaxed thank you. I too am entitled to my opinion and argue it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.