The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John James McManus Memorial Hurdle 2005

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion John James McManus Memorial Hurdle 2005

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Looking forward to seing Harchibald return to action in the Grade 1 John James McManus Memorial Hurdle at Tipperary today taking on Solerina, Royal Paradise, Ansar, Hasty Prince, Calorando and Red Square Lady.

Looks a cracking race for this time of the year and I think sums up the Irish attitude towards Cheltenham being an extra and not the only target!

I personally think Solerina will come out and win today, anybody else got an interest in the race today?

Nixer
    • Total Posts 105

Hasty Prince may run  a race at a big price. <br>Great to see the national hunt back. <br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Bookies seem to have this right I think, Solerina is much more likely to be at her peak today than Harchibald. However Harchibald improved a ton last season and if he drifts out he could be a bit of value. 11/4 ish I’d be interested.

Also Uttoxeter stage an extremely interesting novice at 2.00. Mikado finally makes his debut for Jonjo after a year off and he comes up against Crow Wood. Was hoping Jonjo’s would be odds on but alas he isn’t so I’ll just sit and watch that one with interest.    

TheFootyKing
    • Total Posts 6

Tell me this…WHY have the bookies got it right. Your assuming that Solerina will be nearer her peak….WHY??? Coz the RP says so?? <br>FACT: Harchibald is a far superior horse that Solerina.<br>ASSUMPTION: Harchibald wont be ready but Solerina will be?? Crazy logic. Unless you have info from the stable to suggest otherwise then HARCHIBALD has to be the bet at a MASSIVE 3.2!!! Unbelievable price

TheFootyKing
    • Total Posts 6

Quote: from davidjohnson on 11:00 am on Oct. 2, 2005[br]Bookies seem to have this right I think, Solerina is much more likely to be at her peak today than Harchibald.  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ <br>

Tell me why??? I for one dont agree with you.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Solerina goes well fresh and won this on what was effectively her reappearance last year. She is not going to be quick enough to win a Champion and has been put in her place at 2m by the big guns in Ireland premier events once the season is fully underway.

I agree that Harchibald is a better horse, but he will be peaking towards the spring and I cannot believe that he will be anywhere near his peak for this. The ground is also very much on the soft side, conditions that do not play to Harchibald’s strengths. If you disagree then lump on, I just don’t think there is any value at the minute. 5/2 or 11/4 for Harchbald and I might get involved.

Nixer
    • Total Posts 105

Solerina had been running on the flat last year ran some big races  in good races before she won this.

TheFootyKing
    • Total Posts 6

Quote: from Grasshopper on 2:31 pm on Oct. 2, 2005[br]TheFootyKing, you only need to look at the corresponding race last year, to be forgiven that the bookies might have called the prices right.

What price do you suggest Harchibald should be, in light of the almost identical conditions this year?

Sorry mate but last year was bottomless. Much better ground today.<br>DJ, yes I agree that Harchibald obviously wont be peaking now but i dont think he will have to be at his best to beat a mare on the decline.

TheFootyKing
    • Total Posts 6

without sounding silly, I for one would not be laying Harchibald for anything over 4/6.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Nixer

Solerina ran 3 times on the flat in 2004. Those outings were on <br>04/04/04<br>15/04/04<br>10/10/04

She won this corresponding race last year on 3/10/04

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He’s sure to win his fair share of races again this season, but he’s not going to do much at all off the bridle is he?

TheFootyKing
    • Total Posts 6

New season…same old Harchibald!! A lucky winner. Wasnt going past AGAIN!!

Nixer
    • Total Posts 105

My Mistake DJ. Had it in my head that he’d run flat and then gone hurdles.  Didn’t realise  he had hurdled and then gone flat then back hurdle.

Nixer
    • Total Posts 105

She  NOT  He

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Solerina would clearly have won today if she hadn’t fallen. Her jockey refused to set it up for Harchibald by going off at a breakneck pace and I suspect Harchibald’s rivals are getting wise to him. Question: when will it dawn on Meade that Harchibald would be hugely assisted by the employment of a pacemaker?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.