The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Handicapping Question

Home Forums Horse Racing Handicapping Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

In the 2.30 at Stratford this afternoon Noble Future is having his fourth run over hurdles in the UK yet still hasn’t been assigned an official handicap mark.

A. Why hasn’t he been allotted a BHB mark?
    B. Does this mean he’s limited to Novice and Maiden Hurdles until he does get one?

Anyone know, AP or Mr Weedon perhaps?

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

As far as I know you have to enter for a handicap to be assigned a mark, I could be wrong…

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Thanks carv

Your Amount in the same race has run 3 times, 2 Novice Hurdles and a Maiden Hurdle and he has a mark (119)

:?:

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Probably because he’s been entered in a handicap hurdle at Wincanton on Thursday.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

You might want to get the official BHA line for this, but as I understand, a horse will be alloted a handicap mark after 3 runs unless he chooses not to. It is a relatively rare occurence when they don’t and it surely doesn’t need me to spell out the main reason why they don’t get given one. I think the Nicholls horse that was backed off the boards at Taunton last week was one such expamle of a horse not given a mark despite having 3 runs.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

As I understand it (I could be wrong) the new handicap marks are published on a Sunday, so what would happen if Noble Future were entered today for a handicap on Saturday. Could it be entered?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

I was thinking along the same lines DJ, on all known form Noble Future would be better off in handicaps…interesting.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

New handicap marks kick on Saturdays. Hence a Saturday winner only has 6 days to run under a penalty, a Sunday winner 13.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3224

Your Amount had a mark last week, so it wasn’t the Wincanton entry that triggered it.

I honestly don’t know the procedure for sure, but I do know that Power Shared got a flat mark and a hurdle mark as soon as he’d completed three runs in each sphere and before we entered him for any handicaps. You need to know the mark anyway in order to know which handicap band you can enter. No point putting a horse in a 0 – 95 if the handicapper then gives him 110!

The revised and new marks are published on the BHA website every Tuesday morning. Noble Future could have been entered this morning for a race on Saturday and the handicapper would have allocated a mark, unless he was unwilling to do so based on the evidence of the three runs to date. In my experience, only runs in which a horse failed to complete would not count towards the three.

AP

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3224

In fact, Noble Future has been entered for a handicap hurdle at Warwick on Sunday, a 0-100 conditionals race, so he should have a mark tomorrow.

I’d also suggest that’s a highly optimistic entry by Ms Williams as I reckon his initial mark will be somewhere between 109 and 112 !

AP

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Thanks AP

As a matter of interest, what is the earliest number of days an owner can enter their horse in an ordinary, run of the mill type of race?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3224

CR,

Using the BHA website, you can make entries a couple of weeks in advance, and still cancel them up to the usual deadline six days before the race.

AP

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Thanks a lot AP. I have 1 more question them I’ll leave you alone (for a while anyway)

Would NF’s performance today influence the handicap mark it will receive for Warwick on Sunday if it runs, or is too late for a Monday run to be assessed for revised or new ratings that will be released the following day?

Thks again.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3224

CR,

I’m fairly sure that the handicapper wouldn’t be allowed to consider today’s run when deciding on the inital mark to apply at the weekend.

If he’d already had a mark, his run today would have had no effect on it in races before Saturday week, so equity suggests the same procedure must apply.

If he gets into a 0-100, he’ll be a great bet come Sunday!

AP

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Thanks very much AP, that’s very informative. Looks like the horse will have Sunday off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.