The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

greatest tragedy

Home Forums Lounge greatest tragedy

Viewing 12 posts - 103 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

I might be thinking of the wrong horse but didn’t they try to save Mrs Muck. I’m sure I remember something on the beeb about her and how it required a certain amount of time and box rest with no movement, but in the end it didn’t work out.

Personally the saddest for me was hearing on RTE radio news that Triptych had been killed after running into a truck at stud in Kentucky. That she was in foal made it even worse.

Other deaths that affected me were Dark Ivy, Marty’s Step, One Man and Mr Brooks. But I guess any death of a racehorse is sad. I remember Shiloh breaking his leg on the bend in Roscommon last year. Noel Meade had lost a horse in the exact same way the day before and obviously the lad who led him out had been there too because he was asking people how could the same thing happen again and was very upset. Shiloh was a huge horse, in the old NH mould and looked so majestic in the paddock. On the way back to the carpark you could see him standing down the course behind the screens, his leg dangling and looking so forlorn. If I could have one wish it would be that someone could come up with a way to save horses who break their legs. It’s such a desperately sad and undeserved end.

• Total Posts 811

Re:If I could have one wish it would be that someone could come up with a way to save horses who break their legs. It’s such a desperately sad and undeserved end.

I would whole-heartedly second that …

• Total Posts 980

The saddest moment for me has been back in the news again today; the deaths of Jan Wilson & Jamie Kyne.

• Total Posts 2184

Kieran Kelly and Seán Cleary both passing away within a few months of each other back in 2003.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Dubai Millennium passing too soon. :(

• Total Posts 79

Gloria Victis- would you believe I just found the newspaper cuttings I saved from the build up to the Gold cup and the reports on ‘triumph and tragedy’ the day after, along with my betting slip, in the garage yesterday? I’ll never forget that horse.

Eight Belles is a tragic case, and the footage is all too freely available online, heartbreaking.

Dawn Run’s untimely death is another that comes to mind.

Emerald
    • Total Posts 66

Talking purely on the equine front it was in a way good to see that Grey Sombrero is still remembered – he was probably my first equine hero – the Desert Orchid of his day. However it never put me off the National, still my favourite race to this day and I don’t suppose I’ve ever felt as sad about a racehorse as I was the day I learned Red Rum was no longer with us, despite his being luckier than so many in living so long.

JHorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 161

Ruffian breaking down in the match race against Foolish Pleasure. Fortunately, I only saw this on TV, though that was bad enough.

The saddest thing I have personally witnessed on the track was in a cheap claiming race. This was about 30 years ago and I have even forgotten the name of the horse or perhaps suppressed the memory. I had bet on a big beautiful grey horse who had once had a touch of class and run in stakes races and was very game and consistent. He had been dropping down the claiming ranks but I believed that he still had enough left to beat the horses he was running against that day. About a furlong from the finish, he took the lead and drew out by about two lengths when he snapped his left foreleg. That caused the horse to dig in and run harder, as I said he was very game, and then he broke his right foreleg. He fell right on his nose and never got up. Of course he was euthanized on the track. Even though it was only the third race, I left the track, just didn’t feel like seeing any more racing or placing any more bets that day.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

On a more personal note. The saddest moment of all for me was reading about the two young apprentices who were burnt to death in the arson of their flat.They both have such wonderful faces, happy with the joy of being dressed up to do what they loved doing, riding racehorses.

FlakeyDove
    • Total Posts 12

Probably hearing that Door Latch and Vodkatini had both died in the same Point-to-point. There just felt something really unnecessary about that, especially given the careers both had had.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Dubai Millennium’s death of grass sickness in 2001. I was so upset I couldn’t go to school the next day, despite the fact I was revising for my GCSEs at the time!

In person, the death of Coshocton in the 2002 Derby. I didn’t see him break his leg, but saw him on the ground in pain before the screens went up. I nearly had a major row with someone standing near me who was shouting at me ‘why are you crying? It’s only a horse!’ Thankfully I just walked away.

Another sad note was when my all time favourite chaser Moorcroft Boy fell in the 1994 Becher Chase and broke a vertebrae in his neck. I feared the worse and was so so upset, but amazingly he was saved and the story ended like a fairytale when he won the 1996 Scottish Grand National. Good days!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

also young kenny i was there that day he broke his leg, his jockey sat in tears behind the fence, we knew he would be pts

Young Kenny for me. I was there too, with my Dad (darwengrey).

I had him in the Becher Chase and when he won that i was nearly in love with the horse and was looking forward to him winning the Grand National.

So you can imagine my feelings when i go to Haydock with my dad so i can see my favourite horse… only to witness the whole thing happen. I remember asking Dad if he was okay etc time after time.

It was very sad.

Viewing 12 posts - 103 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.