The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 851 through 867 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32902

Beat The Boys

(148) Pulled up last two runs. Did win time before, but is Inconsistent and a poor jumper. Best form on a soft surface. 4/10 B Hughes

I haven’t checked anything else but this horse wants good ground.

Racing is all about opinions Stilvi. Mine is that he’s best on a soft surface.

I presume from your comment, you are refering to the race on October 10th on good ground. Won a 3m handicap chase by 14 lengths. I looked at the subsequent runs of the placed horses. It seemed to me nothing really franked the form afterwards. So I was under the impression Beat The Boys did not need to show his best. Where as the Rehearsal Chase win on soft looked his "best" form to me. What did you think of the two races Stilvi?

As said, racing is all about opinions. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32902

Hey Ginge

How come State of Play gets 3/10 and Made in Taipan 6/10? Surely you don’t think the latter will finish in front of the former (given they both stay upright)?

If he does then he wins.

The rating was not one for the horse KC, it was "stable form". E Williams had not been in great form.

Not that I did that well. Could not see Don’t Push It winning at all. Though had I known about the ear plugs, would’ve made a big difference. Ran awful in the Pertemps, presumably the occasion got the better of him under an amateur. With the ears blocked and AP on board. The trainer in great form (rating 8/10), the money indicated he was back to form. And on form he had a chance. Still surprised he jumped and stayed as well.

Suspect Fist is still celebrating!

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m Half way through abottle of Johhnie Walker 8)

After the Grand National you will look back at this post and wonder how does Fist know these things :P

Don’t Push It ran the perfect Grand National trial in the Pertempts Final at Cheltenham :P and his for figures now look like this:-

P02201-423P Don’t Push It.

I’d say that looks just about perfect for a future Grand National winner.

Well come on then how do you do it Fist? :lol:

quote]

Can’t tell you that :mrgreen: But I will.

As Gerard points out when Jonjo first mentioned the National I did make a bit of a joke about it..didn’t stop me backing him though :wink:

After he ran so well at Cheltenham on heavy ground over 3m3f the question of whether he would stay or not was never in doubt. When I heard he was let down after Warwick it wasn’t that difficult to work out where he was heading. He was Jonjo’s best chance of a place in the Gold Cup as Alberta’s I knew wasn’t going that route again but with Denman having won the Hennessy and Kauto winning the King George again his only possible target had to be the National.

Most would have used the Gold Cup as a trial but not Jonjo. He runs him in the Pertempts 10 canters short of a gallop :lol: Like I said at the time, the perfect trial. I must admit though I’m not really that smart I had a bit of a helping hand but I did tell you all to grab him on Betfair or wherever and then lay him.

Unfortunately or fortunately AP for some reasons better known to himself said he was very likely to ride Can’t Buy Time :roll: Must be spending too much time in Nicky Henderson company. It certainly slowed down any movement on Betfair but alas 1000/1 was never available :lol:

He was 60 backed down to 40 went back to 59 was 55(Hope you took it Rich) and up and down like a yoyo. 50/1 40/1 and 33/1 with the main books I think the lowest I saw was 28/1 at the time.

As for me I could fall into a bucket of shyte and come out clean :shock: I knew he’d be gambled being JP’s and I planned to lay off a fair bit but what was happening on course wasn’t happening on Betfair…their SP was 75% more than on course. I laid off a bit in running but when he got over Bechers it was a case of how far….me frigging body from my toes to my nose were tingling with excitement and I could concentrate so I minimised the page.

All I can say is Zarkava was great, Kauto has been brilliant, Binny was unreal but this albeit with a lot of luck attached to it is unreal.

Here’s to Don’t Push It Jonjo, JP and AP, for making my day afantastic one, the best team in the world :mrgreen:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hey Ginge

How come State of Play gets 3/10 and Made in Taipan 6/10? Surely you don’t think the latter will finish in front of the former (given they both stay upright)?

If he does then he wins.

The rating was not one for the horse KC, it was "stable form". E Williams had not been in great form.

Not that I did that well. Could not see Don’t Push It winning at all. Though had I known about the ear plugs, would’ve made a big difference. Ran awful in the Pertemps, . With the ears blocked and AP on board. The trainer in great form (rating 8/10), the money indicated he was back to form. And on form he had a chance. Still surprised he jumped and stayed as well.

"presumably the occasion got the better of him under an amateur"

Is that French for wasn’t off a yard ? :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32902

Hey Ginge

If he does then he wins.

Not that I did that well. Could not see Don’t Push It winning at all. Though had I known about the ear plugs, would’ve made a big difference. Ran awful in the Pertemps, . With the ears blocked and AP on board. The trainer in great form (rating 8/10), the money indicated he was back to form. And on form he had a chance. Still surprised he jumped and stayed as well.

"presumably the occasion got the better of him under an amateur"

Is that French for wasn’t off a yard ? :lol:

You might think that Fist, I couldn’t possibly comment.:wink:
    Careful, you could get your mate Jonjo in trouble. :lol:

Well done to all concerned.

Value Is Everything
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Well done if you backed the winner, and it is great that McCoy finally has the race he craved. The emotion he expressed said it all.

I still think The Package had something to offer until he departed at the 20th – I’m not sure if MDB’s fall hindered him in any way.

I couldn’t understand why the BBC pundits on the rerun said The package was not enjoying himself, he jumped well until his exit and was starting to get into it.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Well done AP.

Fantastic ride and thoroughly deserved.

I backed The Package and Black Apalachi – both ew.

But I was really chuffed for McCoy – the monkey’s off his back at last. A true champion. 8)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

well done and over the moon for AP … he has won some impossible races over his career as only he could – true genius 8)

who was that loose horse that jumped up to the leaders ? …. must have been loving it was it pablo de charmil ? – just going to watch the rerun to find out. I remember Little Polvier doing the same thing – thats how i knew he would win – so always worth a check 8)

• Total Posts 4293

Don´t Push It is apparently a nervous type,who spends much of his time in a field with around half a dozen sheep, and connections were quick to praise the yard´s amateur rider Alan Berry for the work he has done with this son of Old Vic.

A good job it isn’t Big Buck’s in the field, or it would be the sheep that were nervous. :P

• Total Posts 1046

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

I still think The Package had something to offer until he departed at the 20th – I’m not sure if MDB’s fall hindered him in any way.

I couldn’t understand why the BBC pundits on the rerun said The package was not enjoying himself, he jumped well until his exit and was starting to get into it.

Zip

But rider Lee disagrees on Sportinglife.com:-

Graham Lee (The Package, unseated 19th): "He was never really going and never took to the fences."

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

i noticed another loose horse doing what bounce back did, and falling again when riderless, not sure who it was though

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Well done Fist!

Got completely mullerred on the race but absolutely delighted for AP. Nobody deserved it more and there could not have been a better result. Well done winners.

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 166

My Will I think, falling at the same fence he had fallen at the first time, and by the look of it taking another three with him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

😈 :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

I never knew you were from Aberdeen :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

I’ve had a go at forming a shortlist, but it is quite long.

Chuck everything rated 138 or less, because they’re not likely to get into the race.

Chuck everything that hasn’t won a chase of at least 25f. (14 out of last 16 winners.)

Chuck everything that hasn’t had at least 3 runs this season. (Apparently the last 14 winners had all run 3 or more times by the time of the Blue Square Gold Cup. Haven’t investigated this myself yet though, to know the precise details.)

Chuck everything that hasn’t got at least 3 chase RPRs at least 2 lbs higher than its GN rating. (14 out of 16 – 2 exceptions are the Irish National winners Numbersixvalverde and Bobbyjo.)

Haven’t bothered with age, because everything left is at least 8yo.

Ollie Magern
    War Of Attrition
    Our Vic
    My Will
    Silver Birch
    Notre Pere
    Gone To Lunch
    Ballyfitz
    Chelsea Harbour
    One Cool Cookie
    Madison Du Berlais
    Razor Royale
    Albertas Run
    Don’t Push It
    Hello Bud
    Joe Lively
    Irish Raptor
    Seven Is My Number

They are in order of how well in they are on the last measure (3rd highest chase RPR minus GN rating).

I could knock another 4 or 5 out by insisting that they had won a Chase valued at least 25k

The only one who hasn’t run in at least 9 chases is Seven is My Number, who has run in 7.

Oh well, Don’t Push It was in the "shortlist" until Peter & I imposed the 11 stone weight sanction. We had to do something though, because there were 18 on the "shortlist", and as an exercise I was trying to get it down to one. The shortlisted "one" though was Hello Bud, who put up an honourable performance to finish fifth. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th weren’t on this shortlist, I think, because they had had restricted campaigns.

Elsewhere, on other threads, I tried using a dosage filter for the first time, which got rid of Don’t Push It. :oops:

• Total Posts 1046

To be honest, I think this was just one of those where trends really screwed us over. They nailed the Irish National winner at huge odds, so it’s not a baby out with the bathwater thing. But the race has changed. The front two were MILES clear off 11-5 and 11-6. So once 11-7 is possible, anything is.

The quality/jumping/staying power of the lower-weighted horses was, in the final analysis, poor (bar Backstage) relative to the front 2.

Plenty ran just as I thought, but it was the big-weights that took advantage of that, not the light ones.

Any "shortlists" for future Aintree Nationals will be massive though, hence abandoning the task for next year.

Well done Fist, I had a lengthy discussion elsewhere, as Gerald will vouch for if he read it, where I was in agreement that DPI was classy enough and weighted to win. But I’m not from Aberdeen and I didn’t back him!!

Viewing 17 posts - 851 through 867 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.