The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 681 through 697 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 4293

Glenfinn Captain, Dan? You sure you ain’t looking at last year’s entries? :lol:

I’ve got Ellerslie George as a definite IN. Came across a quote last night.

O’Leary also had news on dual Thyestes winner Preists Leap.

He stated "Preists Leap has no form this season but is a possible for the English National. I get plenty of advise from Davy Russell and I talked with him regarding Preists Leap going at Aintree. He said if the ground is good at Aintree, Preists Leap is a no-hoper but if they get a lot of rain, leave him in the race – he has a life in the race. Soft ground would be okay for him to take his chance although I’d love heavy ground."

• Total Posts 4293

Different source, but same words:-

George set for National challenge
    Last Updated: Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 08:49 GMT
    – Search: Ellerslie George Mitchell

Ellerslie George
    Ellerslie George

Nick Mitchell believes Ellerslie George has shaken off his disappointing last outing at Newbury as the John Smith’s Grand National approaches.

The winner of the Badger Ales Trophy at Wincanton in November did not look anywhere near the same standard when last of seven finishers in a veterans’ chase in early March.

However, the Dorset trainer said: "He came back after Newbury and his blood was all wrong. He was blowing hard as well. But he has scoped as clean as a whistle since and hasn’t missed a day’s work so he seems fine now and is still on course for the National."

Mitchell added: "I’m still waiting on a jockey, so hopefully we will get that sorted out soon."
    Last Updated: Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 16:49 GMT

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

11,4? How embarrassing :oops: I did mean 10,4…

Ellerslie George and Preists Leap are definite entries from what i’ve read…

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Think they’re clutching at straws with Preists Leap. Yes, he’s best on soft ground, but his jumping has gone to pot this season, even on soft ground.

Interesting about Ellerslie George, that Wincanton form has worked out supremely well. Has been behind in both the Topham and Becher though, so is he suited to Aintree?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Think they’re clutching at straws with Preists Leap. Yes, he’s best on soft ground, but his jumping has gone to pot this season, even on soft ground.

Interesting about Ellerslie George, that Wincanton form has worked out supremely well. Has been behind in both the Topham and Becher though, so is he suited to Aintree?

He blundered at the first on both of his times at Aintree, but then he went on to complete each time, so it’s just a matter of getting the first one right.

Plus he was in a different stable back then who thought he was best held up, whereas he’s proven to be better at the front of affairs…

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

In an attempt to find out what was kicking off at NTD’s yard I hit upon the wonderful Bronwen’s blog on his website; an everyday tale of NTD’slong suffering housekeeper. Not much info on which horse is likely to win the big race, but a damned good read.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Flintoff declared for the Irish National.

Surely they won’t run him in both? Could be a late omission from Aintree?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I suppose if they’re taking the other horse over they might as well take him as well. Quite fancy the other one Officier de Reserve [sp].

• Total Posts 4293

Halfway, the co-owner of Flintoff was on the betfair forum yesterday. Contributed to the ‘Is Flintoff running?’ thread, plus another. They reckoned, from ringing around, that he wouldn’t get in the GN. That reckoning might be wrong though.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I’ve often wondered how much ‘ringing around’ goes on before these races.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

8/9 more withdrawals and Knowhere’s in :D I’d say 9 because Whinstone Boy is more likely to get chosen over Knowhere if it came down to a ballot.

I hope, for the benefit of all the runners Knowhere does not get in.

I thought there was once a rule to stop poor jumpers from running.

So STOP Knowhere from running!

He`s run in three nationals and never actually fallen .

Granted he was dodgy as a youngster but i see little problem with his jumping nowadays .
    His fall at Cheltenham was a blip.

Did not want this to turn in to a negative thread, so have posed the question in the Horse Racing Section with more information. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Did anyone else see Nick Mordin’s weekender piece this week. Glad to see he has my idea of which rank outsider reaching the frame. Old Mr Pointment. 141 lengths last in the Gold Cup was a beautiful prep run! Absolutely loves the place and I am praying that old Pak Jack gets his chance, although very unlikely.

• Total Posts 4293

I started a thread about it on Betfair – 2 pages long, and still going strong! :o

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Did anyone else see Nick Mordin’s weekender piece this week. Glad to see he has my idea of which rank outsider reaching the frame. Old Mr Pointment. 141 lengths last in the Gold Cup was a beautiful prep run! Absolutely loves the place and I am praying that old Pak Jack gets his chance, although very unlikely.

Mr Pointment has had my eye for a long time. I was very disappointed when he wasn’t given an entry last year, but it seems to me that Mrs Wilson, for the first time in her life, has a solid lineup! :shock:

And Cerium beating the then National favorite home in the Gold Cup is a statement in itself too. :lol:

ireracing
    • Total Posts 4

Equss Maximus also declared for the Irish National so presumably thats another one that will come out of Aintree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

:mrgreen: I know whats been impressing me through out the season.

Mon Mome ran a great race in third in Gold Cup.
    Arbor Supreme ran a super race and in my opinion is ready for this or the irish version.
    Niche Market has been running well all season, but a change of tactics is called for him to walk away with top prize.
    Snowy Morning race was less impressive than Arbor, but came back after losing his place.
    Vic Venturi and Black Apalachi also ran a great race in the Bobbyjo.

:P Now I could be wrong (not the first time) but I think these are your form horses and the winner could be one of these.

Like to amended my statement :? Dream Alliance should also get a mention and outside Character Building. Or is that the other way round. :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 1761

as hinted in the weather prediction models over the last few days, looking increasingly likely that come Wednesday drier conditions will be upon us.
    Warming up as well, so come National day Aintree could’ve had at least a couple of days of drying conditions.
    Is it a quick drying course?
    Those thinking of placing bets on soft/heavy performers may want to just wait and see.

Viewing 17 posts - 681 through 697 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.