The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 647 through 663 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    Dubacilla
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Guess that means Made in Taipan will run now for the same connections.
    It was ground dependent a few days ago for him according to the RP, though one has to heavily question running this probable non-stayer at Cheltenham, Navan and potentially Aintree in a period of time barely over 3 weeks…

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Think there should be a rule to stop any horse who has not won at 3m+ running in the Grand National. This would make the race more competitive.

I know people will come up with some that have run well without a 3m+ win. But fact is, if there was a rule, then they would make sure of getting a run by running in such races. Could be an appeal to allow in those who’ve run well at the trip to run. e.g. One that runs to form at 3m without winning.

There is no point running horses like Lennon or Made In Taipan. They would not stay 4 1/2 miles in a proverbial.

If a horse is well behind in a race, with no chance of being in the money, the jockey would be in trouble for continueing. Even though it is just about possible every horse in front falls (still with a miniscule chance). Therefore, Lennon has just about no chance of winning or being placed in the money.

So should Lennon and Made In Taipan be prevented from running?

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve gone with Snowy Morning and Comply or Die. I also have a small each way on Lennon. I think he’s a sound jumper and if he runs will get round, at 200’s with coral was worth a quid each-way.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

I’ve gone with Snowy Morning and Comply or Die. I also have a small each way on Lennon. I think he’s a sound jumper and if he runs will get round, at 200’s with coral was worth a quid each-way.

Lennon may well jump well, but as he has no chance of staying 3m, let alone 4 1/2 miles. I would not back him at 2000/1.

Then again, I’ve never been a fan of "Lennon". :lol:
    Sorry, private joke!

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 4293

Lennon probably wins the prize for the oldest damsire in the race – Shackleton, 1956. :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Disappointed to hear on the sportinglife website, Master Twister is being lined up for the ride on Hello Bud. Sam’s three rides on the horse have been nowhere near as good as when Brennan’s been aboard. Still jumps well under Sam, but a bold jumper with Paddy. Sam won’t be able to claim his allowance either, so effectively a 7lb penalty if he rides. Needs to have one more winner to qualify to run in the Grand National. Paddy has been booked for Irish Raptor, one who’s performances suggest won’t stay, that’s if he gets around.

Sam might be a good jockey in the making, but for him to get on a horse with a chance in the National is the wrong decision (imo).

Value Is Everything
    Dubacilla
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

From a Sporting Life news story…

Razor Royale misses the race to aim for the Whitbread (sorry, old school…), and it looks like the Mullins pair of Deutschland and Dooneys Gate will also not be running.

Truman31
    • Total Posts 22

Backstage out to 45 on betfair – Anyone know anything??

• Total Posts 4293

Might just be ground related.

Taken from the Grauniad blog:-

but the likes of Backstage, Can’t Buy Time and State of Play would surely be disadvantaged.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Why "Can’t Buy Time"? Acted well on soft when winning at Cheltenham. Though can see a stamina problem. Did not seem to get home at 4m behind Tricky Trickster in last year’s NH Chase.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6296

Do wehave the likelihood of the cut off mark cos I was gonna back Offshore Account but I dont think its goona make the cut?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I thought State of Play had won on soft, although, being a small horse really soft ground would be a disadvantage.Not sure how many horses might be withdrawn if it gets really testing, but perhaps people will just let them take their chance. Would help the iffy jumpers as well. Beat the Boys has gone out to 100/1 so may top up my bet on him now he’s had the all clear to run. Also Preists Leap, because of the ground and top up on Dream Alliance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

So Irish Raptor, Piraya and Mr Pointment are all guaranteed entries with Chelsea Harbour and Razor Royale’s withdrawals.

So Hello Bud now looks like a likely runner, which is good :D Aswell as Palypso De Creek.

8/9 more withdrawals and Knowhere’s in :D I’d say 9 because Whinstone Boy is more likely to get chosen over Knowhere if it came down to a ballot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

i think up to now number 40 is the package? unless ive missed anything

:( im still praying cheif dan george will get in

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

I thought State of Play had won on soft, although, being a small horse really soft ground would be a disadvantage.Not sure how many horses might be withdrawn if it gets really testing, but perhaps people will just let them take their chance. Would help the iffy jumpers as well. Beat the Boys has gone out to 100/1 so may top up my bet on him now he’s had the all clear to run. Also Preists Leap, because of the ground and top up on Dream Alliance.

Moehat,
    According to Timeform, State Of Play won the Hennessy on soft ground.
    Would not back Beat The Boys just yet (if at all). Trainer said he’s struggling to get him back fit, after being pulled up last time out.
    Preists Leap has lost his confidence jumping this year.
    Dream Alliance will be suited by soft, but does he jump well enough?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

8/9 more withdrawals and Knowhere’s in :D I’d say 9 because Whinstone Boy is more likely to get chosen over Knowhere if it came down to a ballot.

I hope, for the benefit of all the runners Knowhere does not get in.

I thought there was once a rule to stop poor jumpers from running.

So STOP Knowhere from running!

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

National course is soft, heavy in places and with rain expected for the next 4 days plus 12mm on Monday; the course should be heavy all over. The latter half of the week is going to make all the difference…

Viewing 17 posts - 647 through 663 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.