The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 545 through 561 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

It’s a pity he’s got 10.2 and not 10.3, because he would possibly have gone to the top of that group because of his win the other day.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I did tell you a little while back about a system used to determine the first five home in last year’s National mainly derived from Nick Mordin (The Weekender) with a few personal and pertinent tweaks.

I can tell you that the horse that accumulates the most points and therefore will now be my main National bet for this year is State Of Play even bearing in mind that he is deducted points for not having run since Christmas (normally a big negative).

Also scoring highly is Arbor Supreme especially as a lot of points are based on previous Aintree runs be it over the National course or the Mildmay.

So there, my colours have been nailed to the mast and I will be lumping on both on Bet365 given that they have been NRNB and 1-2-3-4-5 for quite some time now.

• Total Posts 1046

KC
    I’m astonished SOP has come out at number one. Last horse to win the National off one season’s run was….? And for that run to not even be complete….I’d imagine the system is flawed somewhere although Arbor is fair enough just minor doubts about his class and participation, imo.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I think they can get horses pretty fit without running them these days. Jockey was sure he would’ve won last year if he hadn’t made a mistake and said the horse loved every minute of it. Given that there was a reason for his bad run in the Hennessy certainly got a chance.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Big Buck’s….

To the comment about Chief Dan George not getting in, i’ve been keeping a record of who’s likely to stay in and who’s likely to drop out…..ages ago CDG was impossible to get in.

However, with the recent unexpected drop outs at the latest declaration stage I have him at 40th on the list. He’s getting in by the skin of his teeth on my list.

For my money I hope he does as i’ve got him at 202/1 along with Ballyfitz at 319/1 and Eric’s Charm at 510/1 (thanks for the heads up that the owners wanted him to run Gerald) :lol:

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Some of things SOP does well on is that he has won a handicap chase off a mark greater than 140, he’s won or been placed in a chase with 24 or more runners, he obviously loves Aintree having previously won on the Mildmay as well as now having been placed in the National and he doesn’t have many negatives i.e. he is not a novice nor was he last season (big negatives), he didn’t run at Cheltenham, he is a perfect age, he is far enough away from the top of the handicap and he’s never fallen or unseated.

Aside from this the trainer is in good form at the moment, having plenty of winners and placed horses. The vibes, like last year, are positive so really what’s not to like and get stuck into?

• Total Posts 1046

Fair enough to all replies. We must assess and make our decisions accordingly. I agree he’s been given a fair chance at the weights, but 4.5 miles after one incomplete run in a year, rules his win chance out instantly for me. I’ll be the first to congratulate all backers if he wins, gl.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Mely Moss got closest to winning without any run whatsoever but you’re right, he didn’t win. He came up against a very well handicapped horse on the day.

• Total Posts 1046

Mely Moss was an

animal

,wasn’t he :D just different gravy given his lack of starts over here.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Who do you suppose will be carrying David Johnson’s primary colours this year? Basically who’s gonna have the spotted cap and who’s settling for red?

Though Comply Or Die would be the obvious choice; it looks like The Package is going to start the more fancied of the 2…?

• Total Posts 4293

I’d given up this race as a bad job a few weeks ago, and have been involved in displacement activity so as not to think about it. However, am beginning to think I might be able to escape with something.

For my money I hope he does as i’ve got him at 202/1 along with Ballyfitz at 319/1 and Eric’s Charm at 510/1

CDG 207.15
    B 360
    EC 513.98

8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6296

Does anyone have an opinion on Palypso de Creek which I think ran well behind Our Vic and also behind Venturi and that run was at Aintree.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

I’d given up this race as a bad job a few weeks ago, and have been involved in displacement activity so as not to think about it. However, am beginning to think I might be able to escape with something.

For my money I hope he does as i’ve got him at 202/1 along with Ballyfitz at 319/1 and Eric’s Charm at 510/1

CDG 207.15
    B 360
    EC 513.98

8)

Great minds think alike sir!

• Total Posts 10

Although Palypsl De Creek does appear to have most of the credentials I look for, I think he’s a bit young at 7.

My alternatives to CDG are:

Niche Market and Dream Alliance.

May the best man win.

• Total Posts 4293

I don’t quite understand the opposition to Palypso De Creek in the market. He ran a great race behind Our Vic, albeit he’s been raised accordingly. He is generally in the 100-120 range, and has even gone out to 200 at times. His French win shows that he is very dangerous when carrying a low weight.

edit: not saying he’ll win, just that the price is too big.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Palypso – He’ll need to jump the fences more fluently than he did in the Becher – I backed him that day so watched him carefully and he jumped very stickily.

I’m currently the right side of Maljimar and Snowy Morning. Do fancy State of Play and the Chief if he gets in.

• Total Posts 4293

I thought he was hesitant at one or two early in the Becher, but was okay afterwards. Remember he lost a shoe during the race.

Viewing 17 posts - 545 through 561 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.