The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2024

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 632 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2779

They are fanatics CAS. You cannot understand them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

They genuinely seem to believe that once racing is banned, all the ex racehorses will be able to happily run free in rewilded fields. :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1032

WD to those who backed I am Maxiumus.

Terrible edition for me. None of my selections made it past the first circuit.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5780

The Antis when ever i see them on tv tend to make total fools of themselves ….

Participant
    • Total Posts 4466

Good to hear that Mac Tottie is out of the equine hospital and back at Peter Bowen’s yard. Let’s hope he makes a full recovery.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 950

I thought they must have gone quite slow as so many were still in contention at the business end and they seemed quite well grouped throughout, could be another factor in why there weren’t any fallers. I haven’t seen sectionals to back that up just the impression I got watching on TV. Maybe it was just the changes they’ve made.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7351

I wonder if the cancellation of the x-country race at Cheltenham had a bearing on the result of those behind the winner, as mentioned on another forum. It may have helped Delta Work, Minella Indo and Galvin run as well as they did. If the edge would’ve been taken off them if they ran at Cheltenham on that extremely testing ground, as De Bromhead hinted after the race with his horse, the first 5 would’ve been…

I Am Maximus 8
    Kitty’s Light 8
    Aint That A Shame 10
    Meetingofhtwaters 7
    Galia Des Liteaux 8

Younger horses dominating and I’d have some of the placed ones as well as the winner in this instance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 176

Thanks for the update on Mac Tottie, Glad.

Participant
    • Total Posts 164

I’m torn.

My head says this was an excellent race, in which it was great to see the quality horses come to the fore. It was obviously good for racing’s image that all the runners came back safe, and that so many people had a fantastic run for their money, with a host of horses in with a shout turning for home.

My heart says this just didn’t feel like a proper Grand National. The race that was hard, gruelling, attritional. The race over fences that were unique, formidable barriers that couldn’t be easily brushed aside. For me, as Tom Hanks once said, the hard is what made it great.

I know my head should win this argument. I can see it’s me who’s got to change and get with the new order. I do fully accept that.

But my heart will still ache just a little that we will probably never view again the sort of spectacle that made the Grand National such a special event.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8261

Broadsword, I agree entirely. It was a good race to watch. No one wants to see lots of fallers and it is clearly good that all the horses and riders returned safely. But it isn’t really the Grand National anymore. It is just another long distance chase. The uniqueness and essence of the race has gone now. It was a test of jumping, now it isn’t.

When I visited Aintree on Thursday, I couldn’t help noticing that over one of the entrances there is still a silhouette of a horse jumping the old Bechers, with its front legs outstretched and back end up high as it takes the drop. Bechers has gone now, they jump it like a hurdle. Maybe it had to change but the fence should really be renamed and the image over the entrance changed.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7351

I didn’t mind one or two of the early changes to reduce the deaths but they have been tweaking it a zillion times since. I heard they cut a bit off the top of a fence after the Thursday race.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 950

Victim of its own coverage really. Barely a word muttered when the Becher etc are run over the same fences. The race Chambard won earlier in the season can’t remember which one it is but that was brutal to watch but no protests or changing bits around. Horses get killed at racecourses up and down the country, some even on the flat that’s the harsh reality but if we’ve fixed the National then we’ve fixed everything. That’s the ludicrous side to the protesting, its all about getting them coverage too because nobody cares if they’re protesting at Bangor on a Tuesday or wherever.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 950

Funnily enough re the X Country mob doing so well, the National resembles a X Country race more than any other National these days with the fences. You don’t want a good jumper you want a nutcase who has no respect for ordinary fences because they can just walk through the birch etc unscathed.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7351

At least 3 prep runs trend holds firm once again.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 760

Haven’t yet seen the exits at the Chair from a better angle but it looked like Mr Incredible’s unseat was from being hampered. I’d like to have seen how he’d have done at the finish.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2162

Yes broadsword agree it didn’t feel like a real Grand National especially so many jumping last
    Maybe they should think of renaming it The Aintree stayers Chase.

VF x

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9152

I think Mr Incredible needs to change his name to Mr Incrediblyunlucky.

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 632 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.