The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2024

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2024 Gold Cup 2024

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

“It would have been nice of Elliot to tell punters that Potter didn’t travel over well ….”

Tbf we knew he hadn’t travelled over well and lost the plot on the way to the start the year before in the Supreme

That always made him a no bet for me once he was sub 4/1 and I wasn’t already on

Can’t knock a 40/1 bet though

Stranger things have happened

Certainly can’t be backing galopin for a race 51 weeks away at 13/8

Maybe in free bet doubles but nothing else

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7668

“Gerri is Galvin/Stattler mk2”

Funny thing is if the Brown Advisory was on the New Course (same as the Gold Cup) he would’ve been a ready winner imo.

A candidate for ‘best of the rest’ away from GDC next season i would say if he can improve out of the novice ranks.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

“”Mighty Potter is clutching at straws with a lot of hope in the heart.””

I certainly don’t need any hope in my heart coming off the best Cheltenham I have ever had. I put up Galopin Des Champs for the Gold Cup this time last year and he had plenty of negative comments like runs too free, jumps too big, is more a Ryanair type, won’t get the distance etc…. Even after winning at the DRF only months away from the festival it was look how close Fury Road was and he still needs to prove he gets the distance, Leopardstown 3m isn’t Cheltenham 3m 2f etc

I’m all over GDC again this year and was backing him for 2024 even before he had run in this years event
    I also was backing Potter to win the Turners and 2024 Gold Cup at 25’s.. :rose:
    I like to back with a bit of FORESIGHT and get plenty more wrong than I do right
    I’m not totally convinced with Potter myself but see reasons as to why he underperformed last time and think 40’s is too big and see potential in him as a racehorse at the Gold Cup distance

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Fortune (sometimes) favours the brave, Nathan – good luck with your bet.

The horse certainly got a lousy ride in the Turners.

I think it will be suited by further – but the Gold Cup is a LOT further, and this year’s winner looks the best in years to me.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I’m still gutted for Mighty Potter
    The race I want now is Shishkin getting here in top form to take on Galopin Des Champs

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7668

Shishkin 10 next year. Been in soooo many battles in his career. I don’t give him much chance of winning unless some miss it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I genuinely like Shishkin. He has done me some good turns. But Galopin Des Champs would beat him on the bridle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I’d be all over GDC, Mike but it would make for a great spectacle
    I wouldn’t be completely writing Shishkin off even at 10 though as Nicky has done wonders with getting his stars back from setbacks

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Shishkin = Lazarus, so I guess this means Henderson = Jesus Christ.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Nicky haters will be spitting feathers as Hendo will be going nowhere anytime soon with Lazarus and Constitution Hill in the yard

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

The form of APT this year shows just how severe a race the GC can be on a horse, even one that came up the final hill like a rocket. Hopefully GDC doesn’t suffer the same fate. Understandable why Nicky wants to keep CH over hurdles.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

To be fair A Plus Tard and Minella Indo both were 1-2 in the Gold Cup of 2022 after filling the first two in 2021 as well and the 3rd home in 2021 was chasing a hat trick of wins in the race so they definitely can come back. I don’t think the Gold Cup itself does anything to horses its just some are horses with issues generally and that is what plagues them rather than one particular race.

Didn’t Coneygree only go for Gold as a novice because he had issues and they didn’t know if they’d get him there in his second season or am I imagining that? Might Bite had his own ideas about the game and was excellent at Aintree after getting beat at Cheltenham, he wasn’t the same from the start of his 3rd season over fences.

Regards A Plus Tard specifically, clearly a stop start season hasn’t helped but as I said when Defi Du Seuil went at the game, some of them start so early that they won’t carry on past 9 or 10. A Plus Tard made his chase debut aged 4, if he makes it to Cheltenham 2024 it’ll be 5 years since he won the now non-existent novices handicap.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Nicky haters will be spitting feathers as Hendo will be going nowhere anytime soon with Lazarus and Constitution Hill in the yard”

LOVE this.^

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Willie mullins has said all the time gdc was his gold cup horse. He has a massive engine so will maybe not follow the pattern of struggling the season after winning the gold cup. He didn’t have a battle in the gold cup and I’m sure Willie will give him a maximum of two runs before Cheltenham. Shishkin is an admirable horse but I can’t have him beating either of the first two home at Cheltenham. Ryanair next season and I wouldn’t be surprised he stops after that. He has had too many tough races IMHO.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

He had a hard race Mickey

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Cheltenham Gold Cup winners who, since I first watched the race in 1975, I’d say were never quite the same again: Ten Up, Royal Frolic, Davy Lad, Midnight Court, Master Smudge, Little Owl, Silver Buck, Bregawn, The Thinker, Charter Party, Norton’s Coin, Garrison Savannah, Cool Ground, Jodami, The Fellow, Master Oats, Mr Mulligan, Cool Dawn, Looks Like Trouble, Kicking King, War Of Attrition, Imperial Commander, Long Run, Bobs Worth, Lord Windermere, Coneygree, Don Cossack, Native River, Minella Indo, A Plus Tard.

It’s rather a lot!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Lord Windermere was never the same before or after his Gold Cup … :scratch:

Galopin Des Champs is a double sided chocolate hob nob, he won’t break easy. Even Chezza would have to sharpen his teeth to even make an indentation..

The scary thing about him is he can still improve

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 370 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.