The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2023

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 Gold Cup 2023

Viewing 17 posts - 443 through 459 (of 491 total)
  • Author
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

I would imagine Punchestown next and then next season he will have the same prep as this year.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

I’d be suprised if either of the front two ran again this season , that was a pretty hard race , cotton wool and a lazy summer …..look at APT

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“A Plus Tard was hampered by a faller which wouldn’t have helped.”

Just watched the replay. It did not help his cause but it made no difference. He was already struggling. Even if he finished he would have been a long way behind.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Can never tell how these tough races take a toll on horses, even the winners, until, maybe months or even a year down the line.
    But, even though i didnt back the horse, i feel if Nicholls and the team can work more on BMG’s stamina he could just win it next year.
    I was taken by Willie’s comments afterwards how they’d toned down GDC’s speed work this Winter and focussed more on stamina work.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

HDB on A Plus Tard (post race):
    The trainer said: “I thought he was very unlucky. He had to jump two horses sadly and that was it. Rachael said she was really happy with him at the time, tracking Paul [Townend on Galopin Des Champs], and all was good. But it’s the luck of the draw.

“I’m happy. He looks back now and it was just unlucky. He needs to go left-handed, so I suppose maybe Aintree [is an option]. Rachael did the right thing. She pulled him up as she knew he wouldn’t win.”

And on Minella Indo. Nico not happy with the starter:
    “Nico was livid with the start. He said it shouldn’t [have started],” De Bromhead said. “We’re really annoyed by that. I think his chance was gone then. We’ll get him home and see [what to do next].”

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

The winner will improve on this and I’ll confidently nominate him as the winner next year as well.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Can’t see how the Bravemansgame can turn the tables – a lot of people were questioning GDC’s ability to stay this trip because of the speed he showed over shorter last season so I would even have GDC beating Bravemansgame over shorter in the King George and Bravemansgame clearly won’t outstay GDC over today’s trip as any improvement he makes should (at the very least) be matched by the year younger GDC, in any case I highly doubt the two will meet again until this time next year as I fully see both horses following the exact same preps as they did this year.

Not sure exactly how the perceived starting issues affects how Minella Indo ended up being hopelessly outpaced from the fence at the top of the hill on the first circuit but I guess connections have to blame something because that was likely his last chance being 11 next year.

Re APT, I just rewatched the part of the race leading up to Ahoy Senor’s fall where he was hampered and to be fair he was still going well (Rachael’s hands were still just resting on the horse’s withers) but even with that I still don’t think he would have beaten GDC and next year he will be 10, so you would imagine he is unlikely to improve much more (if at all), which he would need to do if (yes I know it is a big if) GDC turns up in the same form next year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Galopin des Champs is the chocolate hob nob that is chocolate both sides
    Right Chezza.??

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

LD73 did people think Kauto would reverse the form with Denman ? , we’ll need to see how both horses come out of the race , far to early to say he cant reverse the form in the future

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

GDC was significantly superior, despite some sticky jumping and awkward positioning. But BMG really is a wonderful jumper, just seems to flow over the obstacles; if he could tempt GDC into a few more mistakes he’d have a chance

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

“Has a big weight.”

“Also had a very hard race here being off the bridle for so long….he could quite easily have left his National run here.”

As NY seems to be improving the weight should not be a problem.

The gruelling race may be more so although he does have an extra week to get over this due to when Easter falls.

In 2015 Many Clouds ran in a brutal GC and then went on to win the National under a welterweight, although I think the jockey may have saved a bit that day.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

“LD73 did people think Kauto would reverse the form with Denman ?”

Yes as Denman had major problems in the season after his GC win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

You have to wonder if Bowen would have been better off pulling up when he looked almost tailed off. I doubt anyone would have criticised him and I doubt the Waley Cohens really needed the fourth placed prize money either.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“LD73 did people think Kauto would reverse the form with Denman ?”

Yes as Denman had major problems in the season after his GC win.”

True – but I think the point is did anyone think Kauto Star would reverse the form with Denman in the immediate aftermath of the 2008 Gold Cup?

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

Bowen could have won punters money if he had gone 3rd and may have well done so if any bookies were paying 4 places. Punters moan when jockeys don’t achieve their best position and then when they do they are still criticised. Lose-Lose situation.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

“True – but I think the point is did anyone think Kauto Star would reverse the form with Denman in the immediate aftermath of the 2008 Gold Cup?”

But would he have done if Denman was 100% fit. If memory serves me right the 2008 and 2009 GCs were run in totally different styles. 2008, after a pretty soggy day, was pretty brutal with Denamn galloping away whilst 2009 which was run on drier ground, a slower run race helping the much faster Kauto at the death.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

GDC has the best engine of any gold cup horse I can remember in 20 years.

How a horse can sit out the back and jump so sketchy in a properly run gold cup like that and win pretty much as he liked is simply incredible.

The only chance anyone has of getting him beat is if the horse makes a mistake that costs him 6 lengths.

Viewing 17 posts - 443 through 459 (of 491 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.