The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2017 Gold Cup 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 547 total)
  • Author
    befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

How’s this for a field? Don Cossack, Djakadam, Cue Card, Vautour, Valseur Lido, Road to Riches, Annie Power, Vroum Vroum mag, Thistlecrack, Douvan, Coneygree. Put Faugheen over fences as well, increase the value so it’s unavoidable and I’ll be in heaven

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

I doubt Cue Card will hold his form another year, but would love to see it. Vautour’s best chance might well have been yesterday, but we shall see. Don Cossack’s a better horse than I thought he was, though I think yesterday proved that good ground is crucial for him to be at his best.

Coneygree would want plenty cut, and even then probably fails given the subsequent form of last year’s GC. Douvan could be anything.

The real beast among them might be Thistlecrack. Given the stellar list we have, he is already 2nd fav with some bookies for the GC without having jumped a fence in public.

I’ve never backed him, but he has been the revelation of the season. That was a good World Hurdle and he came clear of everything with little more than a reins shake. He could be from another planet!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

The Ante-Post KingThe Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8712

If there’s any justice in this world Colin and Joe Tizzard will win the 2017 Gold Cup,ideally with the 11yo Cue Card but stats are there for a reason and its a 9yo’s race the Gold cup.Incredibly I see Thistlecrack one of the most beautifully proportioned horses in training is 3/1 fav to win the 2017 RSA?? No,No,No do not take that ridiculous price for a horse that will be 9yo come March 2017 and 9yo’s dont win RSA’s,that race is the perfect target for Alpha des Obeaux who will be the ideal age of 7 come the day.If the Tizzards want compensation for being mugged in this years Gold cup then the only target for their World hurdle Champion is the Big one itself a race he’s 10/1 for and even a year in advance thats fair.Those of us who want to be greedy would love to throw Yorkhill in there for a Treble of big race targets but we will only get a repeat of this years version of Musical Chairs from Mullins so a nice £11 double at 8/1 ‘Alpha’ and 10/1 ‘Thistle’ returns a cool Grand in the hand.What I like about this double is both horses really dont have any other targets and neither are trained by the man who leads you to a pot of Gold,Kicks you in the Balls and runs off with the lot and calls it ‘Hullaballoo’!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Tizzard has already said, before and after the World Hurdle, that the Gold Cup is Thistlecrack’s target next year, and that he ‘jumps anything’ at home.

Given Mullins’s messing around, nothing of his can be backed with any confidence, so 10s about this beast from a different planet is tempting, though I always have concerns about big horses, who are much more likely to go wrong imo

But if he appears in a novice chase next season after a trouble-free build up, I might get my dusty ante-post boots from under the bed and strap them back on. Though 25s Cue Card seems big given he was going to hack up on Friday!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

The Ante-Post KingThe Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8712

Though 25s Cue Card seems big given he was going to hack up on Friday!

You were the first to spot Cue Card Joe,I am a mere hanger-on but when you add the years You and I have been students/Masters and myself a legend of the game it comes to 120yrs so when we say Cue Card was robbed of certain victory all these youngsters should listen.The more I watch the race the more I think Paddy was going to quicken the pace after the 3rd last and play catch me if you can you one paced plodders as neither ‘Djakadam’ nor ‘Don Cossack’ quickened up they just maintained the very decent gallop that was run from the start….’Cue Card’ will still be a 10yo come King George day and ‘Thistlecrack’ wont be going there so lets grab the 8/1 now! Get them there Betting Boots on partner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Gord, I don’t want to jinx you. Gold Cup has been a very profitable race for me, but I can’t recall ever backing a KG winner, though I’ve had tremendous value in it ante-post, only for things to go t1ts up.

It’s usually a race for listing no-hopers often near the head of the betting – horses you can rule out for several reasons (Simonsig a prime example in past couple of years).

One thing about the KG that many don’t realise: on softish ground which it nearly always is, off a very fast pace, which it nearly always is, it’s a brutal test of stamina. That’s why Long Run won it twice. That’s why I’d never question Cue Card’s ability to get the GC trip.

That deceptiveness in the stamina requirements is another reason you can get value, because you’ll regularly see speed horses at the head of the market too.

Don Cossack is fav, but Cheltenham told me that this horse must have good ground to be seen at his best. He doesn’t care at all for soft ground – finds it hard to get a rhythm and it affects his jumping. Very possibly a spring horse too, though that might just be the ground.

So, I’d disregard DC, and maybe even Vautour since Mullins persists with this ‘a stone worse at Christmas’ talk (though what can you believe now from him?). Despite Cue Card’s victory and almost victory in 2013, I’m pretty sure he prefers going left-handed. Douvan – who knows? Will Mullins keep him at 2 miles? Coneygree, too risky. Djakadam will get his ground, but I have my doubts he’d be good enough.

The one who handles any track, any ground and any stamina test AND has the innate ability is Thistlecrack. If he hoses up in a couple of novices, Tizzard wouldn’t hesitate to have a crack at the race if the owners agreed.

He makes plenty of appeal at 16s.

Great race for value-seekers; unlucky race for me – get stuck in!

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22213

trained by the man who leads you to a pot of Gold, Kicks you in the Balls and runs off with the lot and calls it ‘Hullaballoo’!

It will be on crimewatch one day. A bloke with balaclava and shot gun breaking into Willies Mullins yard
    Mullins says “don’t shoot and opens a safe in which contains 100k”
    The bloke with the balaclava and shot gun says “no I don’t want the money, just want to know which races they run in”?
    Willie shakes his head and says “no chance, go ahead shoot me”

Member since March 2008
    Ghost of Rob VGhost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 735

Thistlecrack is the horse on my mind. I can’t get him out of my head. He’s built like a lion and has an obscene amount of power. If he makes the transition to fences, I can see this beast reigning supreme.

Participant
    • Total Posts 22213

According to oddschecker racebets are NRNB for the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup
    It doesn’t state that on racebets site so I am sending them an email to double check

Member since March 2008
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22213

I thought it too good to be true, taken down from oddschecker now

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your email.

After checking this with our Marketing Team and Traders Department I can confirm that we are not Non Runner No bet on the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Should you find us promoting this via OddsChecker kindly forward us a screen shot or a link to this page so we can address this for our customers.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact myself or any member of our support team.

Best regards,

Katalin Krisztin
    RaceBets.com

Member since March 2008
    JAMIEDB9007JAMIEDB9007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

I have no doubt in my mind, Cue Card would have pulled away from them and won the gold cup by at least three lengths.

JAMIEDB9007JAMIEDB9007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

And I still believe Vautour would have beaten all of them on that ground, 90% or not….the way he cruised through the King George, he would have had them all off the bridle three out…

Sea PigeonSea Pigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 293

I hope Vautour will eventually get his chance, Willie Mullins made a huge mistake opting for the Ryanair as the Gold Cup was his for the taking, if he runs in the Ryanair again it will be a huge dissapointment, Djakadam did well to finish second on the fast ground on an interrupted preparation, he will still only be 8 next year so will still be improving and is likely to finish in the frame. Thistlecrack was hugely impressive winning as he liked, if he jumps fences well then he will be the one to beat as he is indifferent to the ground and has an engine similar to Big Bucks but without the flat spots. Coneygree will still be only 10 and has been lightly campaigned and if retaining his ability will make it a true test taking no prisoners, playing catch me if you can. Cue Card was looking like the winner when he came down and this was his big chance, aside from the fatalities this along with Vautour running in the wrong race were the low-spots of Cheltenham 2016. Don Cossack was a worthy winner but I feel this was the gods compensating him for the loss of his star novice, next year should be an even better race and I doubt he will be good enough. So who will win it? This will be a race to savour and my money is on Thistlecrack.

JAMIEDB9007JAMIEDB9007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Vautour for me if he gets his chance….as promising as Thistlecrack looks and as impressive as he has been, I think the 3 mile hurdle division was a very poor one this year. There really is nothing of note that he has beaten, albeit in a very stylish manner.
    When he reverts to fences, it could well be the strongest division for many a year. If Vautour runs he will go well. Don Cossack – highest rated chaser in training and reigning champ. Djakadam – another years experience. Cue Card could have won this year and if in the same form will be hard to keep out of the frame. Coneygree – previous champ who will be a tough nut to crack, and that’s without this years crop of novices coming through. It will be a formidable challenge for any of them, let alone a novice. Good luck with Thistlecrack though, does look promising. But Vautour could easily tuen out to be something very special indeed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

I’m not a stats man, but I’d guess that a horse who has alreday failed in 2 Gold Cups does not go on to win one, so Djakadam would be out for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 547 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.