The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Godolphin

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Young Mick
    • Total Posts 203

After reading "Eclipse" by Nicholas Clee there is a section about the great horses which have eclipse in their pedigree.

There was a lovely bit about Dubai Millenium and I must say it was one of the most heart warming paragraphs about a horse I have ever read. It showed the true affection which Shiek Mohammed had for the horse.

I looked into Godolphin Stables and I always fondly remember Electrocutionist who won the Dubai World Cup. But isn’t it sad how all of his best horses have had such a sudden ending.

People moan about the operation buying horses, but I feel really sorry for them now. They have never had the true champion they have searched for to produce winners. I think this is why they are purchasing horses with such extravaganse. Yet everytime they spend all this money, these horses seem to regress with such speed it is unimaginable.

They are having terrible luck of late and I just saw Frankie Dettori win a Leicester maiden and he seemed chuffed.Where has this operation gone so wrong?

I hope it picks up and they can rival Coolmore soon with the likes of New Approach at stud for them now.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

You feel sorry for a multi billionaire who has his whole countrys finances by the balls. Behave yourself.

Jonny Ebeneezer
    • Total Posts 17

i used to be a big fan of godolphin and would try and stick to their horses when betting but they have declined big time in recent years and have ruined alot of horses!!

Frankie Dettori also seems to have gone off the radar. I used to associate him with jumping off horses with crowds screaming in the background as he’s just won a group 1……seems a little sad when he gets excited by winning a maiden at Leicester today!!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Electrocutionist allegedly failed the vet twice before Sheikh Mohammed went and bought him anyway. Like you say, unlucky.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

At The Kentucky Derby Where he had 2 entries.. The Wagering picked up drastically when ((he))showed up? He Normally stays away from the Derby-This year some Broadcasters started wise guy rumors. It was surreal.
    Bin Seaeed–sp?–Is here–He must know his horses are going to finnally break thru & win–This Hype started about 60MTP as I said it was surreal–

OK Now Over here I do feel bad for him-Not for the reason stated. I feel bad because he gives much to this game & he is disliked on the count of his religion here–Yes I feel bad for that.

& ya Frankie was Very happy to win—–I do Like Frankie

I edited this.
    He did get a winner in a very short field @ Belmont today–
    Not sure if it was TamLin or Colony?

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Like Jonny, I was a huge fan of Godolphin from 2002/03 and it was their website which introduced me to the international scene.

My passion was reinforced when Grandera dropped by Melbourne for a visit to the Cox Plate.

They definitely did not buy horses willy-nilly back then, and their purchases were very selective, not just rounding up talent whatever shape or size it was.

I cannot pinpoint any reason to their slump, but it’s horrible. They relied on Ramonti to win 66% of their Group 1s in 2007 and won only once in Europe last year. They almost don’t bother with the Classics anymore.

The only Group 1s (apart from the unnoticeable wins in Italy, Germany or the USA) I envisage from them are Flying Cloud or Schiaparelli.

Godolphin needs a freshen up of the backroom staff, or to simply close down the operation. Either way it’s a shame for the industry.

Would I be right in saying the last Godolphin horse – born and raised in the royal blue – to win repeated Group 1s was Dubawi? Maybe it’s a Darley problem then?

bgm1409
    • Total Posts 19

A few of their Aussie based horses are on their way to Dubai–will be very interesting to see how Fravashi and Aichi go once they settle in. There will be a fairly substantial drop in the quality of the trainers from Peter Snowden to Saed Bin Suroor and hopefully that won’t have too much of an negative impact on the horses.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

I think they need to seriously scale down their operation and change those in the managerial roles. They need to put in an assistant (obviously SBS remains due to being Dubaian) of the calibre of Noseda who can get things back to where they were. At present you have SBS – the puppet and the whole shebang being run by Crisford(brief assistant to Prescott then journalist), Ferguson (bloodstock agent)& Cooper (sheikh Mo’s PA) – NONE of whom trained! What does that tell you? The stories you hear from both staff working at Godawful & the pre-training yards are quite incredulous.

For example – At the pre-training yards – they feed the horses 16lbs of corn a day (this is maximum amount when in full-training for a 3yo colt, fillies need less) and then because the horses are too fresh, they bunge them full of sedatives as the riders are too scared to ride them. The basic levels of horse management are terrible. The horses are brought along slowly in fact so slowly they barely get out of a slow canter and then suddenly its off to Godawful and straight into full fast work. And they wonder why they break down so regularly? Added to that the horses at Godawful are rarely left in peace during the day so they just seem to be lifeless – watch them at the Horses in Training Sales in October – 3yo colts should be a handful to walk round there not ambling round with their heads on the floor, lean and no condition on them.

Sheikh Mo seems to really care for his horses so I just can’t see for the life of me why he can’t work out what is wrong. I feel like going up to him at the races and having it out with him!!!! (Think I’d be carried off in a straightjacket first though!)

I hate seeing good horses ruined and others not realising their true potential.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

I feel like going up to him at the races and having it out with him!!!! (Think I’d be carried off in a straightjacket first though!)
    —————-

You had me laughing to tears-Thanks :lol:

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

That’s all interesting to read Jinny, but what’s changed between now and 1999-2003, when Godolphin were the most feared stable in the world?

I do believe Crisford, bin Suroor, Cooper, Ferguson were still in charge.

Could it be the rise and rise of Coolmore/Aidan O’Brien?

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

That’s all interesting to read Jinny, but what’s changed between now and 1999-2003, when Godolphin were the most feared stable in the world?

If they had just slipped a wee bit then well done to Coolmore but Godolphin has truly tanked and given the raw material that they work with their results are very poor.
    Sheikh Mo when interviewed always seems philosophical and hints that good times are just around the corner but how many years will he allow to slip by before taking drastic action?
    Surely it’s occured to him that the likes of Mark Johnston, Barry Hills, Andre Fabre and Peter C-H are doing more with horses owned by him or his relatives/friends than his own operation are doing with the cream of the crop and the expensive purchases?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Sheikh Mohammed has more to worry about than Godolphin…..

http://www.economist.com/world/mideast- … d=13988540

Tam Lin
    • Total Posts 5

I edited this.

It was Tam Lin with Colony a fast closing third.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

I edited this.

It was Tam Lin with Colony a fast closing third.

Thanks Tam Lin!!

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Sheikh Mohammed has more to worry about than Godolphin…..

http://www.economist.com/world/mideast- … d=13988540

Yes thats a warning world wide–Things here Stateside are as they were in the 30’s before WW2——Some nut may think WW3 may be the way out?

Hope not.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

I think in those days, you had far more input from the assistants such as Noseda & Albertrani. Nowadays, the Trio seem to control what goes on. Initially they employed the very best staff they could get with many ex-jockeys making up the rosta. However a couple of years ago, a whole bunch were "made redundant" and given a hefty pay-off not to talk. Seems some of these staff had tried to express their feelings about the horses they were riding but those at the top were not listening.
    Others (including a good friend who had a senior position there) got sick of the way things were done and left. My friend had made alot of money in the early days and it was a fair salary he left behind but he said the job satisfaction had gone and he no longer enjoyed it.
    Likewise their staff at the pre-training yards used to be of a high standard – now they take anyone – drug addicts inc. The pay is still one of the highest in Racing but you end up being one of a number where your opinion counts for little and it is more like factory work. So decent staff don’t go there anymore.
    A sorry sorry demise to a once great operation.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Likewise their staff at the pre-training yards used to be of a high standard – now they take anyone – drug addicts inc.

So long as they are Dubaian, correct?

Again, plenty of interesting information, but I still don’t understand why they dumped Harty/Albertrani/Noseda, and why they believe the current method works?

It’s amateur hour at Moulton Paddocks.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.