The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Godolphin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

They seem to be pushing the boat out after some mediocre seasons with DANDY MAN being their latest addition to the Godolphin ranks. What price Saeed bin Suroor for the trainers championship?!

Other recruits include Gladiatorus, Fast Company, Happy Boy, Literato, McCartney, Poet Laureate, West Wind, Regal Flush, Sagara, Schiaparelli, Floristry, Gothenburg, Miss Lucifer, Hatta Fort, Silkwood, Veracity, Young Pretender and the very promising Screen Star.

I’d love to see their balance sheet.

scallywag76
    • Total Posts 280

Dandy Man has failed to deliver, on numerous occasions now, even under optimum condtions and Fast Company, who I thought looked promising on the basis of his Dewhurst run, didn’t appear on the list of horses in training when I looked on the Godolphin website the other day – any problems there?

Godolphin seem to have adopted a scattergun approach to buying horses that, in recent years, has met with limited success. On a global basis their achievments are poor, compared to the level of expenditure, and I imagine that the success of Coolmore must be a real craw in their throat.

Classic wins must come their way this year, if Suroor is to win the trainer’s title, which horses will provide that?

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 442

I’d have expected most of those horses listed to have ended up at Godolphin anyway…as the policy has always been to cosolidate the better older horses with Suroor at 3 and 4.

They do seem to be acquiring more dirt horses from North and particularly South America. I think there’ll be a more noticeable rise in Godolphin presense in the States rather than the UK.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Where is Gothenburg? Hugely frustrating that he disappeared last year before he was tried in pattern company.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Still under Sheikh Mohammed’s maroon colours with Mark Johnston.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Dandy Man has failed to deliver, on numerous occasions now, even under optimum condtions and Fast Company, who I thought looked promising on the basis of his Dewhurst run, didn’t appear on the list of horses in training when I looked on the Godolphin website the other day – any problems there?

It’s slightly unfair to say that Dandy Man has failed to deliver on numerous occasions under optimum conditions. He needs fast ground and 5f. The only time he truly had that last year he was drawn on the wrong side at Ascot and finished a creditable 2nd in the Kings Stand.

The horses in training section on their website is not updated regularly – normally not until a new recruit is entered in a race. There is a more reliable list as part of their Seven Stars Competition [which starts tomorrow by the way] at http://www.godolphin.com/SevenStarsHors … board.aspx

Where is Gothenburg? Hugely frustrating that he disappeared last year before he was tried in pattern company.

It was planned that he would race in Dubai this winter and then go for UAE Guineas but whether they decided they had better propositions for that dirt race (i.e Etched) or met a setback, I don’t know. Maybe he’ll appear in one of their trials?

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Still under Sheikh Mohammed’s maroon colours with Mark Johnston.

He’s definitely with Godolphin now

ahitchcott
    • Total Posts 60

are there odds yet on the top trainer? id lay godolphin if they go too short based on what i have been reading

i dont think dandy man will prove to be a good purchase at all. although you are saying only the kings stand was ideal, i remember on numerous occasions the horse being talked up and reading about it as some sort of superstar. if it was, it would have proved it more convincingly by now.

i believe godolphin have hit desperate days in some ways and are trying so hard to come out on top they are forgetting to concentrate on what they are best at.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I’m dissapointed that Sheikh Mohamed continues to use other trainers to train his two-year-olds, with the intention of moving the better ones to Saeed Bin Suroor, and even more disappointed that they have acquired Fast Company. All too often Godolphin start throwing money around pre-season, only to completely ruin an otherwise promising horse.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

He’s been put in the English and French Guineas, and the French Derby

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27781

Isn’t Gothenburg somewhere in Scandanavia? :lol:

You were waiting to see who would say it first weren’t you?

Am I right in thinking Mark Johnston has trained two horses of this name?

Ginge

value is everything
    yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

The older Gothenburg stood at stud for a while with little success if memory serves after winning a couple of group winners for Mark Johnston.

Bin Suroor doesnt even train the US string, a fair number now are wintering at Payson Park in Florida with their Amercan assistant, they race mostly on the New York curcit in the spring summer and autumn, then have the odd runner in Florida in the winter, they do raid out on the west coast on occasion.

I see little point in Etched being in Dubia and running against older horses, he looked a monster but at two but the Remsen stakes is my least favourate of the NY graded stakes races for juviniles, its got a horrific record for horses going on and winning grade ones.

Godolphin want too be the best, but they seem too be the best with older horses they have got from other yards on the whole.

One horse who could really be a huge horse in the US is Jalil, though i suspect he will get a pasting from Curlin, who is a monster.

They still have Ramonti who is as honest as the day is long, I hope he gets a chance at stud on day.I wonder if they are looking at him as a long term replacement at Derrinstown stud for his grandsire Marju?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

They seem to be pushing the boat out after some mediocre seasons with DANDY MAN being their latest addition to the Godolphin ranks. What price Saeed bin Suroor for the trainers championship?!

Other recruits include Gladiatorus, Fast Company, Happy Boy, Literato, McCartney, Poet Laureate, West Wind, Regal Flush, Sagara, Schiaparelli, Floristry, Gothenburg, Miss Lucifer, Hatta Fort, Silkwood, Veracity, Young Pretender and the very promising Screen Star.

I’d love to see their balance sheet.

I don’t think the acquirement of dandy man is quite as straight forward as they have went out and bought him. Back when Dandy Man was a big pretty lightly raced talking horse he was bought up (if I remember correctly) by Princess Haya Of Jordan who I think is married (may be wrong) to Shiekh Mohammed. If that is correct then it explains why he’s gone there.

I’m not usually a fan of Godolphin, they usually take their horses out to winter in dubai, and often they bring their guineas horses back to the UK the week leading up to the guineas (remember they did that with dubawi), I believe this did them no favours in 2006 when it was still baltic in the UK in May and their horses were all well out of form, they ended up suspending operations by june not knowing why they were doing so badly, they messed up so many potentially decent looking horses that year and then they worked electrocutionist to death.

They also always seem to feel the need to send guineas horses to the derby, which I think possibly expalins dettoris poor record in the race (might he have won on rule of law in 2004, instead of snow ridge?).

They look to be coming into this year with some smart looking 3yos, but I wouldn’t consider backing one of them antepost for anything.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Princess Haya Of Jordan is married of Sheik Moahmmed, she is beautiful, has a degree from Oxford and is an olympic class show jump rider, he is lucky man. Plus her brother is the ruler of Jordan, theirs is a match that is true love, you can that from the way they act together.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Ramonti is something else. I haven’t seen such a horse with doggedness similar to him. The boy sees the winning post, likes sticking his head in front and making sure nobody passes him at all costs.

Although he got a little lucky in the Hong Kong Cup. :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.