The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Give Female Jocks a Small Weight Allowance

Home Forums Horse Racing Give Female Jocks a Small Weight Allowance

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Fallon’s interview on the BBC about this subject was interesting. My interpretation ( or reading between the lines!)  was that not only are Ladies weaker physically but they do not have the mental toughness/astuteness that the top gents possess. He should know ! I also recall him intimating that the Ladies would be absoutely mad not to exploit the availability of an allowance.

Of course the allowance would not be mandatory; those ladies who might wish to carry equal weight to gents should be accomodated. I’m sure the trainers and owners would be understanding!

<br>Do you not think, NV,  that those eight inches would be  better deployed at the climax of the race? ;)

(Edited by zilzal at 9:44 pm on Sep. 23, 2005)

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

I can hear Thommo now…

"Thats a photo……..But with Fallon’s 8 inch problem – it looks like Lisa Jones is gonna take it…" :biggrin: :biggrin:

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

I Luv it !!!  :biggrin:

jenz
    • Total Posts 1

In Australia where I come from female jockeys are legislated against. Hard for them to get good rights. In NZ, the ladies race and win equally against the men. The leading jockey (who has been competitive in Japan and sydney, Lisa Cropp) rode 196 winners last season an all time record. The reason male jockeys don’t want to give them a chance is preservation. Females may not be as strong, but they pace horses well and judge races well. Watch them with equal opportunity!

hagger
    • Total Posts 5

yes, giving someone 8 inches before the start of the race was very funny, although it would probably increase racecourse attendance.

i’ve tried to think of other sports where women get an allowance if competing with men, and can’t think of any in direct competition.

i know they get different tee’s in golf, but i wouldn’t imagine they would get one in motorsport when there was the lady rally driver (sorry, very vague memory), she had to compete on an equal footing, and i’ve got no recollection of her complaining that she just wasn’t strong enough to steer the car.

Alison fisher in snooker wouldn’t get an allowance (or 8pt start) against men.

Should women jockeys? NO! It is about the merits of the horse (which already gets the allowance), not the pilot. Although there is some indirect affect on the result of a race, trying to legislate for this is, to my mind, utter madness.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from hagger on 1:28 pm on Sep. 27, 2005[br]<br>Should women jockeys? NO! It is about the merits of the horse (which already gets the allowance), not the pilot. Although there is some indirect affect on the result of a race, trying to legislate for this is, to my mind, utter madness.

Well put.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from hagger on 1:28 pm on Sep. 27, 2005[br]<br>i know they get different tee’s in golf, but i wouldn’t imagine they would get one in motorsport when there was the lady rally driver (sorry, very vague memory),

<br>Penny Mallory? Louise Aitken-Walker? Davina Galitza? The Simmonite Sisters? There’s been a few.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Weight makes a difference – and is sometimes one of the overlooked important issues when trying build an idea of the likely winner of a race. As officially horses form is equated to weight and races are framed around weight carried, it’s importance shouldn’t be underestimated.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Should women jockeys? NO! It is about the merits of the horse (which already gets the allowance), not the pilot. Although there is some indirect affect on the result of a race, trying to legislate for this is, to my mind, utter madness. <br>

What is your view on apprentice and conditional jockeys being allowed to claim. By the logic you express here, surely that should be outlawed too?

hagger
    • Total Posts 5

mr johnson,

i am forced to concur. although claims/apprenticeships are slightly different in that there is an across the board application which does not relate to sex, but provides instead provides a "learning allowance", why not restrict claims/apprentices to races just for these jockeys?

i can think of lots of other sports where such a system would exist (amateur to pro football or golf, formula 3000 to formula 1, etc.), and i don’t really understand why it couldn’t work in racing, especially with the boom in number of races available with the banded system.

it should provide greater equal competition. <br>

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

They use to say Martin Peters was 10 years ahead of his time, looks like zilzal was, at least in France.

Not that I agree with the allowance.

I was just having a think about female flat jockeys in Britain & Ireland. I can think of plenty in Britain but off the top of your head can you name some apprentice and fully fledged female flat jockeys in Ireland? Apart from the O’Brien girls, I couldn’t.

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 92

Times and attitudes certainly have changed. After Jayne Thompson was killed John Francome was adamant that the girls should not be allowed to ride as they don’t have the natural instinct to curl into a ball to protect the crotch area,so are thrown around like Rag Dolls.It I remember correctly,the comment was aimed at all forms of racing and not just the National Hunt scene.

GoldenMiller34GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1184

In general, the body of a fit female cannot be as strong as that of a fit male so its less robust in absorbing the shock of falls. On the whole, therefore, a female jump jockey is more likely to sustain injury and likely to be out longer as a result of an injury. I’m thinking of Lucy Alexander as an example.

Kentucky SpringKentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 375

The ladies may be a little insulted if they are told that they need to lose more weight!:biggrin:

Seriously though, it may raise a few objections from the usual elements calling it patronising, but if it was to give more riding opportunities to the fairer sex in the saddle, then I’m all for it and I’m sure the lady jockeys will be too.

I believe You are all just letting your little brains think for you, comparing female jockeys strength as expected lower than that of a 110pound man. The weak jockeys will always loose, that being a man or a woman. It’s not like every one of you is stronger than any woman at the same size of you. Most of you I know will come up short compared to me or other capable female jockeys. Some of the best workriders are women, they get paid well an in all of a sudden we are all to weak and need weight allowance i races. I twice won an apprentice series, Just Like the two Multiple Champion Jockeys Kim Andersen & Lars Kelp. I beat current Top Jock, known for his finish strength nowadays, Jacob Johansen for place in a few major races on different horses, like a match in the races ;-).
    Nothing to bragg about, but nothing women do will quite do will it? So why am I not there no more, weights did me in at 176cm tall but Jacob is still there almost as tall som say. People are different.
    If female jockeys need it now rather than 30 years back I don’t get it.

Best Wishes
    Silk

Kentucky SpringKentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 375

yes, giving someone 8 inches before the start of the race was very funny, although it would probably increase racecourse attendance.

i’ve tried to think of other sports where women get an allowance if competing with men, and can’t think of any in direct competition.

i know they get different tee’s in golf, but i wouldn’t imagine they would get one in motorsport when there was the lady rally driver (sorry, very vague memory), she had to compete on an equal footing, and i’ve got no recollection of her complaining that she just wasn’t strong enough to steer the car.

Alison fisher in snooker wouldn’t get an allowance (or 8pt start) against men.

Should women jockeys? NO! It is about the merits of the horse (which already gets the allowance), not the pilot. Although there is some indirect affect on the result of a race, trying to legislate for this is, to my mind, utter madness.

Exactly right there, utter madness.
    It’s up to the trainer to put the best available pilot on top, “Jimmy” is too soft on slow ones, “Johnny” can’t hold them, “Mark” tries to force but then “Lisa” has the right touch and clicks with just the same horse. She rides it.
    You never have a full field of 20 that all needs the strongest hold or the soft approach. The horses do the running and as a Trainer your biggest satisfaction is if the jockeys don’t f*** it up.

Best Wishes
    Silk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.