The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gingers Jumpers

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Gingers Jumpers

Viewing 17 posts - 1,752 through 1,768 (of 2,424 total)
  • Author
    Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

GT,

How easy do you find it "getting on" with our bookmaker friends the night before or early on the day of race? My experience is that if you half know what you are doing then accounts are severely restricted or closed completely.

It’s a bit easier for the bigger weekend meetings (more liquidity) but even then it’s a battle with some bookmakers who limit stakes to the minimum.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

GT,

How easy do you find it "getting on" with our bookmaker friends the night before or early on the day of race? My experience is that if you half know what you are doing then accounts are severely restricted or closed completely.

It’s a bit easier for the bigger weekend meetings (more liquidity) but even then it’s a battle with some bookmakers who limit stakes to the minimum.

You’re not joking Oasis!

Stan James and Victor Chandler closed accounts.

Corals certainly "limit stakes to a minimum", very bare minimum! Every bet goes to the "trader" who says how much I can have on. Mostly not worth bothering with, "our trader says you can only have £1.82 @ 11/2 sir", I kid you not that’s not unusual! After beiing offered one of those crazy amounts once asked to speak to a supervisor, who told me I won’t normally be given more than a tenner. Yesterday the first time I can remember them allowing me more than that in months. Suspect either a mistake or only because it was a late Friday night bet (for Saturday) and they knew the odds would not be a "top price" in the morning.

Hills can be just as bad. Sometimes severely limiting and sometimes allow the full amount. Problems getting on with most other bookmakers, but not so much as the above.

Most prices quoted on this thread are from oddschecker. Though not a few of the smaller firms that I suspect few people bet with them. Do still include Stan and Victor when they’re out on their own; as am giving "advice" and obviously TRfers still have accounts with them. People don’t like me quoting too many Betfair prices, as liquidity can be poor and odds could change quickly. Although I bet with more than £1 per point, have a rule that I don’t give a betfair price if the pounds available at time of writing is not at least equal to the number of points staked.

In practice Oasis, even if I quote mainly bookmaker prices on here – more and more of my own bets are with Betfair (over 60% this season). Also, the more of my own bets are on Betfair the less commission I pay. Because it is paid only on profit from the race, not individual bet. eg All my bets for the Clarance House today were with Betfair and although the return from saver bet Sire De Grugy came to three figures… I paid just 3p commission on the race!

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Ginge, in case you are interested and you haven’t seen, bet365 are taking bets on winning both the Irish Champion Hurdle and Champion Hurdle. Our Conor 16’s and Jezki 22’s.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Thanks for the information Nathan, interesting stuff. But already have three bets on the Champion Hurdle, including Our Conor.

2014 Champion Hurdle
    20 points @ 14/1 (WH) The New One* (min 10/1)
    25 points @ 8/1 (L) My Tent Or Yours* (min 6/1)
    20 points @ 10/1 (C) Our Connor* (min 7/1)

Don’t think I’d better go in again at this stage.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

2:25 Cheltenham
    40 points @ 4/1 (Corals) Houblon Des Obeaux* (min 100/30)

Hope Corals allow you the bet. They told me "SP only"! Which needless to say I did not take.

Another main bet in this race to come.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

2:25 Cheltenham
    40 points @ 4/1 (Corals) Houblon Des Obeaux* (min 100/30)

55 points @ 13/8 (888) Rocky Creek* (min 6/4)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

2014 Cheltenham Gold Cup
    16 points @ 25/1 (WH) Boston Bob* (min 20/1)
    32 points @ 8/1 (WH) Sir Des Champs* (min 8/1)

12 points @ 33/1 (Sky) Rocky Creek* (min 25/1)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

2014 Cheltenham Gold Cup
    16 points @ 25/1 (WH) Boston Bob* (min 20/1)
    32 points @ 8/1 (WH) Sir Des Champs* (min 8/1)

12 points @ 33/1 (Sky) Rocky Creek* (min 25/1)

May be 25/1 NRNB would’ve been a better bet.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

3:35 Cheltenham
    45 points @ 92 (B365) Boston Bob* (min 92)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

3:35 Cheltenham
    45 points @ 92 (B365) Boston Bob* (min 92)

Saver
    48 points @ Evens (betfair) Big Buck’s (min Evens)(£147 available)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

12:55 Doncaster
    55 points @ 4/1 (PP) Valdez* (min 100/30)
    15 points @ 7/1 (L) Caid Du Burlais (min 6/1)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

12:55 Doncaster
    55 points @ 4/1 (PP) Valdez* (min 100/30)
    15 points @ 7/1 (L) Caid Du Burlais (min 6/1)

Part Saver:
    25 points @ 13/8 (PP) Rock On Ruby (min 13/8)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

1:50 Cheltenham
    35 points @ 7/1 (VC) Shangani* (min 13/2)
    41 points @ 8.4/1 (betfair) Tap Night* (min 13/2)(£41 available)

Might be Pricewise, so you might like to wait until tomorrow to get a better price.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 660

What about Somersby? 25-1 NRNB for Champion Chase. If you liked him at 3.8-1 for Ascot then ok for Cheltenham surely when both the favourites have question marks against them. I know he disappointed at Ascot and Sprinter will be a strong fav if he turns up but even so if you double the odds to allow for Sprinter and double them again to allow for the UR you still get less than 25-1.

Possible outcome would be Sprinter and SdG turn up, other horses frightened off, Somersby gets a place or wins if Sprinter’s heart problem recurs and SdG remembers he doesn’t like Cheltenham.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

1:50 Cheltenham
    35 points @ 7/1 (VC) Shangani* (min 13/2)
    41 points @ 8.4/1 (betfair) Tap Night* (min 13/2)(£41 available)

11 points @ 19/1 (betfair) Sew On Target* (min 16/1)(£11 available)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

What about Somersby? 25-1 NRNB for Champion Chase. If you liked him at 3.8-1 for Ascot then ok for Cheltenham surely when both the favourites have question marks against them. I know he disappointed at Ascot and Sprinter will be a strong fav if he turns up but even so if you double the odds to allow for Sprinter and double them again to allow for the UR you still get less than 25-1.

Possible outcome would be Sprinter and SdG turn up, other horses frightened off, Somersby gets a place or wins if Sprinter’s heart problem recurs and SdG remembers he doesn’t like Cheltenham.

See where you are coming from Kasparov, and if I were to get involved right now it might have been Somersby. But with no knowing whether Sprinter Sacre will take part and the Henderson horse taking out so much of the book – all other prices have been massively reduced. With the favourite running Somersby would imo be a 40/1 shot, without him yes 25/1

on form/ratings alone

looks a very good price. However, I’d be more worried about Cheltenham suiting Somersby these days than Sire De Grugy. One of the reasons why I liked him last time was the track. Last fence isn’t far from winning post at Ascot. Ear plugs might help, but Somersby doesn’t always find a great deal under pressure nowadays and the race can change enormously on the run-in at the Festival. Also saw an interview with Hen Knight who didn’t seem keen on going to Cheltenham this year.

Value Is Everything
    softie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 199

Morning Ginge., i trust all is well in the north part of Hampshire.

Couple of spanners to possibly chuck in your works. going at Cheltenham now heavy, soft in places, and Rock On Ruby is a non runner…..saver bet i appreciate.

Interesting selection with Valdez, i presume you are happy that AK is over his woes, or are you just taking a weeny bit of a chance? :wink:

Barney Curley eh? Well played i say. Give that man a knighthood :mrgreen:

Viewing 17 posts - 1,752 through 1,768 (of 2,424 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.