The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ginger McCain RIP

Home Forums Horse Racing Ginger McCain RIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    phil walkerphil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1379

Just heard that Ginger McCain has died, tragic news.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

Phil

, thanks for breaking the sad news. Racing is so much the poorer for his passing. Somehow he seemed made of teak, and I for one can’t quite take it in yet. His story, and that of his great horse, will live forever.

KenhKenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738

This has come as a real shock. One of the real names of racing.

RIP Ginger you gave so much pleasure to so many.

RedRum77RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

Just heard that Ginger McCain has died, tragic news.

Thanks for breaking the news Phil. :cry:

Ginger "Red Rum" McCain provided me with some great memories in the world of horse racing. First with Red Rum himself in 1977 whom I’d backed to win that year’s national. 50p each way the bet the bet was placed by my late dad.

Years later he also provided Amberleigh House in a typical late finish on the elbow, stirring stuff.

His son won last years national with Ballabriggs.

Ginger was 80, born 21 September 1930 , died 19 September 2011 through cancer. Which was the same way my dad died earlier in the year.

R.I.P. Ginger.

Gamekeeper’s Lad
    • Total Posts 16

A real star has left the world, and the world of racing is poorer for it. He leaves us with fantastic memories and a great legacy

RIP Ginger

Astralcharmer
    • Total Posts 9

Both Ginger and Rummy battled from humble beginnings to become legends in their own lifetimes.
    My love for the sport started from the day I witnessed the 1973 National on Grandstand when I was only 9 years of age. Anyone who sat through that 9 minutes of exhausting and unfolding drama will never forget that day.
    Sadly we will never see their likes again.

Ten PlusTen Plus
    • Total Posts 812

I met Ginger often – he was always ready with a good story or quote – a most colourful character and the world is a sadder place without him. Reunited with his beloved "Rummy" – lots of great memories. RIP – he will NEVER be forgotten.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

R.I.P. Ginger.

A great character, who performed miracles in his training of Rummy.

A genuine one-off, he really will be sadly missed by all in the sport, and beyond.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5936

When i saw him on tv he was always funny and i miss him i will RIP

trapper john
    • Total Posts 197

sad news r.i.p ginger

KenhKenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738

It will be interesting to see what they will do to honour him.

I think perhaps a ladies race The "Horses do not win Nationals ridden by women." Handicap Chase.

I’m sure Ginger would appreciate it and see the funny side.

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

RIP.

Many a horse-crazy girl was inspired by Red Rum. He’s the first racehorse I ever knew by name. And Ginger McCain was the first racehorse trainer I ever heard of.

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Such sad news. I can still remember being driven to school in Southport in Ginger’s taxi as a little girl and falling in love with Red Rum around the same time when seeing him dead heat on the flat at Aintree in 1967. A twist of fate that Red should end up with Ginger some years later. RIP Ginger, reunited with your beloved Red, he’ll be pleased to see you!

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1251

Was told at work of his passing and i just couldn’t believe it until i got an official confirmation. A really unexpected and sad turn of events.

I suppose the one and only real solace is that he lived to see his boy win the National. If there was ever a better swan song, i’ve never seen it.

This years National has always been a difficult one to watch, but what Gingers passing has done, for me at least is make it a very easy race to watch because it brings a nice feeling of pleasure to see Gingers boy officially fill the shoes of his old man and it’s really a nice way to cheer one up from this sad news.

RIP.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

This years National has always been a difficult one to watch, but what Gingers passing has done, for me at least is make it a very easy race to watch because it brings a nice feeling of pleasure to see Gingers boy officially fill the shoes of his old man and it’s really a nice way to cheer one up from this sad news.

A good point, Peter, very well made.

The only odd note sounded, amongst many true ones, was the suggestion that a Grand National Fence ought to be named after Ginger McCain. Given his expressed feelings about the neutering of the Aintree fences, the man would be appalled at the very idea!

Personally, I think a statue or bust of him next to Red Rum in the paddock area would be the best tribute. Still very sad at his passing. It is an era gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.