The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

George Washington

Home Forums Horse Racing George Washington

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

Interesting – but obviously we still do not know what exactly George’s problem has been. Coolmore have done well to keep such a lid on it which perhaps suggests there is still future hope.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Either way I think that Black Sam Bellamy’s assertion that George could enhance his stud value on the track this year is false. No matter whether he wins every Group 1 race between 6f and 10f this year, who is going to book their mare up in advance to a horse who couldn’t deliver the goods the year before. I don’t think there is any likelihood they will be able to command anywhere near the fee they advertised on his retirement until he has proven he can sire above average racing stock.

aston
    • Total Posts 168

A champion hurdler of the future!

aphardy
    • Total Posts 190

I think people are being unfair to George. Breeding is a very funny game and some people/horses find it hard to perform under the spotlight. Maybe he needs to be slowly encouraged to perform his duties – maybe take the mares out for a stroll in the country, followed by a few drinks etc.

Or maybe he’s waiting for that one special mare to lose his cherry to. Romance is not dead in this sport yet…

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Rumour is that he had a thing for Holy Roman Emperor, which is why they had to pack him off to stud 😮

He wants a leather blanket for the paddock now too

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Don’t think they’ve lost hope – it’s still possible we may see a mini-George or two next year.

Sounds like they are hoping an extra year’s maturity might boost his fertility levels, so I don’t think he’s having the snip just yet.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2164

from the timing of the announcement, one might speculate that the problem is seminal rather than a disinclination to go through the physical motions.

also that he passed the early, pre-covering seminal tests taken on specimens into the artificial vagina.

since it takes about two weeks to scan mares after covering, one might guess the actual problem was identified not that long before the 10 March announcement, only after the actual coverings.

its all surmise, but that’s where my money would go.

i’m sure Coolmore would love to have GW standing, producing seven figures in stallion fees this spring and shuttling income later,  with HRE doing the racing.

but its not the first time Magnier’s had, and overcome, such problems – El Gran Senor a case in point.

insurance-wise, i believe stallion infertility insurance typically pays out only where there is "total and permanent" impotence, infertility or incapability of serving mares "as a result of an accident, illness or disease incurred during the policy period."

The latter phrase is key: the problem must be shown to be caused by a specific accident, illness or disease, or there’s no pay-out under the policy.

A number of reasons then for Magnier to call in Dr Dixon Varner, the vet he named a horse after in 1990 ( I think it was Sangster who did the naming on Dr Devious).

interesting also to remind oneself that GW was bred by Roy and Gretchen Jackson, of Barbaro fame.

best regards

wit<br>      

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

interesting also to remind oneself that GW was bred by Roy and Gretchen Jackson, of Barbaro fame.

A Kentucky Derby and a Guineas within hours of each other… and neither ending up at stud. Unlucky or what?

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

What is going on at Coolmore – are there any implanted moles who are members of TRF?

Encosta de lago, Coolmore’s fantastically successful sire by Fairy King( Sadler’s Wells brother) has been flown over to Coolmore at this halfway point in the breeding season. Are rumours of Sadler’s Wells infertility problems well founded?

Gigginstown Man
    • Total Posts 84

Run him over hurdles. The two miles shouldn’t be a problem over the sticks.. He  may have a problem with fences though!!!

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Galejade, Coolmore are having a problem with their ‘capacity’ at the moment – too many mares with not enough stallions to cover them.  The take-up on HRE was good in that nearly all the George book were happy to switch to him, but because their stallions cover so many mares each there aren’t many spare slots for the rest.

SW has had well documented problems in the past, and is very much an old boy now, so it is not surprising if he can’t quite complete his book.  There are also mutterings that one of the other new boys is struggling to fulfill all his requirements.  I think EdL is a bit of an emergency catch-all, to make sure they have some extra capacity.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

There are also mutterings that one of the other new boys is struggling to fulfill all his requirements.

Which one?

aphardy
    • Total Posts 190

"Run him over hurdles. The two miles shouldn’t be a problem over the sticks.. He  may have a problem with fences though!!!"

From the sounds of it, if he were to go over obstacles, his jumping would sure to be perfect as he’d have no trouble getting his undercarriage down.

Ba-da-bing:biggrin:

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

The take-up on HRE was good in that nearly all the George book were happy to switch to him,

Well they would be. No fun being shagged by a nutter who probably prefers colts anyway

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>Entered in Tattersalls Gold Cup apparently.

Can’t see him running over 1m2f again but surely an announcement on his future will be made very soon…..

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Ive heard that he wants to run at  Brighton 😮 😮

jazza23
    • Total Posts 25

Well they would be. No fun being shagged by a nutter who probably prefers colts anyway<br>

I have heard from a fairly reliable source that they are going to start dressing mares up with moustaches and beards so big George can do the business.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.