The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

GB V Ireland?

Home Forums Horse Racing GB V Ireland?

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from Sal on 1:02 pm on Nov. 7, 2006[br]Robert Thornton had a cross of St George to wave, I think it was on Voy Por Ustedes – although it was a pathetically small one!

Mortisha, you talk the kind of provocative s**t<br>e that is meant to start fires, but just inspires the reaction ‘won’t this ignorant twit go and attempt to annoy someone else?’.<br>

Yea and I’m sure that Thornton would have got a generous reception had he waved the flag of St George at Ayr or Punchestown

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from Lingfield on 7:21 am on Nov. 9, 2006[br]

Quote: from Sal on 1:02 pm on Nov. 7, 2006[br]Robert Thornton had a cross of St George to wave, I think it was on Voy Por Ustedes – although it was a pathetically small one!

Mortisha, you talk the kind of provocative s**t<br>e that is meant to start fires, but just inspires the reaction ‘won’t this ignorant twit go and attempt to annoy someone else?’.<br>

Yea and I’m sure that Thornton would have got a generous reception had he waved the flag of St George at Ayr or Punchestown

Lingfield,

Why wouldn’t he? I think in all honesty he would, thats what friendly rivalry is about. Unlike most other sports, when a flag is waved in Ireland it does not intice violence.

JohnJ.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

As I have stated earlier, yes. When is the last time you have been to the curragh or Fairyhouse?

JohnJ

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Both Desert Orchid and Best Mate have received good receptions in Ireland, but i dunno about the flag. The english national anthem (well the bloody awful god save the queen rather than the real one we all want…) was not played at lansdown road for rugby matches until recently…

Maybe times have moved on

I just think we should leave flags out of it full stop. Its a bit embarrasing…

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

When Best Mate won the Lexus in Leopardstown he got a tremendous reception in the parade ring. If a British jock was riding and had of produced a Union Jack, I don’t think the reception the horse got would have been any different.

But then again your probably better at gauging public opinion, perhaps that’s the reason why your previous posts were deleted.

JohnJ.<br>

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Anyone who thinks the sight of a Union Jack on an Irish racecourse would induce booing and jeering from a large proportion of the crowd is an ignoramus.

In one way the waving of a flag would be a compliment to the locals because it would show how much winning their event meant to the victor.

If given the choice, however, I would opt to have no flag waving at racecourses.

<br>

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Personally I would be rather surprised if a jockey waving a Union Jack around at any Eire course got a positive reception.

Then again, I’m not sure it would get much of a positive reception in France.  Or Australia.

But then we get into politics.  And that was my original point behind this thread.  Do people care?  Some seem to.  Not surprising really as horse racing is as involved in life as most other things and sometimes as a sport it can involve our feelings like any other sport.  But, at other times, we can come together irrespective of boundaries.

Days like One Man at Aintree.  Best Mate at Exeter.  Persian Punch at Ascot.

Sorry that these three are ‘British’ but they are three that are just recent (horrible) memories.  I’m sure if I had been around and into racing, the death of Arkle would have hit me as hard, if not harder despite it not being on the racecourse.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Considering any time a  British team plays in Ireland there are foreign flags all over the place and there is very little trouble. Plus the English National anthem is given respect when its played at Lansdown Road etc. Love to know what basis is there to think a British flag could not be waved in Dublin etc other than two "random Dublin men lads".

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Aidan,

What would you know, you only live here.;)

JohnJ.

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Just catching up on this.<br>Who is the deleted member. Was he a long time poster?

Beeswing
    • Total Posts 80

Have to agree that when it comes to horse racing, flag-waving patriotism does look a bit daft. I dont recall the Festival ever being called ‘The England-Ireland Jockeys and Trainer’s Championship’.

I know Arkle was supposed to be pretty clever, but I bet even he didnt know he was Irish! 😉

At the end of the day, to paraphrase the never popular Brian Conley….

"IT’S A HORSE!!" :biggrin:  

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, after all …

And isn’t it all about backing winners and watching the best jumpers in the world, rather than mindlessly thrashing the air with a big cotton hanky that is supposed to mean so much to all sorts of people, yet just ends up being vaguely embarrassing.

Flags excite people who can’t think particularly adroitly.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

At the end of the day, to paraphrase the never popular Brian Conley….

"IT’S A HORSE!!"

But its not just a horse, its a trainer, jockey and stable staff.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Quote: from aston on 4:12 pm on Nov. 10, 2006[br]Just catching up on this.<br>Who is the deleted member. Was he a long time poster?<br>

<br>It was mortisha, and no he wasn’t a long time poster but nevertheless was here quite long enough!

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

But its not just a horse, its a trainer, jockey and stable staff.

So if it’s a French-bred horse, Irish trainer, British jockey and Polish groom (perfectly plausible), then whose flag shall we have?

Or none of them. Leave the flags at the door – they are the visual equivalent of a drunk shouting in your ear.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Leave the flags at the door – they are the visual equivalent of a drunk shouting in your ear.

Lets not tar every nations patriotism with the same brush.

So if it’s a French-bred horse, Irish trainer, British jockey and Polish groom (perfectly plausible), then whose flag shall we have?

Who ever the hell you want!!! Those opposed to it make a far greater deal about it than the supporters!! Its not that big a deal.<br>

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

No, you’re right, it isn’t that big a deal. I was just feeling a little combative.I’ll pull my horns in now.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.