The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gamblers that released books?

Home Forums Horse Racing Gamblers that released books?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

After reading a thread some time ago i remember somebody mentioned a professional gambler who released a book on how to read the form thoroughly to pick winners (cant rememeber the name or the thread!), does anybody know of any Top gamblers who have published books over the last 40 years for example "pitsburg phil"’s Racing maxims and methods Pittsburgh Phil…

If we can get some info together, i will buy a book, study it, and if i learn any new ways or angles to read the form, i can release a daily (most likely Weekender) thread of the selections i come up with to track progress!

Good luck, Lee

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

I think there are lots of books by people purporting to be pro-gamblers Lee.

Are you familiar with the books written by Alan Potts?

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

The guy who owns Sizing Europe..

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5938

No (yawn), the other one who runs the Golden Anorak Partnership!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Lee,

Alan Potts books are Against The Crowd and Inside Track. Can reccomend both. Publisher went out of business so you’ll have to search for a copy.

Dave Nevison’s books No Easy Money and Bloody Good Winner were OK but were more about his life than form.

If you’re a Timeform subscriber then the best book to get to is Betting The Timeform Way. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Written before exchanges and (I believe if I remember rightly) before betting tax was abolished, but still well worth seeking out.

Probably best looking on ebay.

Value Is Everything
    jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

Patrick Veitch Enemy Number One
    Autobiographic account of Britain’s most successful racing gambler. Not a guide to reading form but does give pointers why he backed some touches.
    Liked his first chapter when as a fifteen year old entering a bookies for the first time how he couldnt believe customers were backing tips and heeding advice put up on the walls by said bookmaker. Taking this on board is the number one piece of advice to gamble successfully.

If its form study your’e after the book for you is The Tail End System for jumps by Ross Newton. Takes a lot of getting into but he introduces his system how to back long odds against horses by careful and involved form study. Whats useful is he publishes the racing post form and race card as it had been printed and why he went on to select and omit horses from his bets.
    His choices tend to be class 4 and 5 hcaps at less sulubrious courses than Saturday meetings but his observations can be used for classier races to help understand form better.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3859

far more interesting
    if you can get it is
    a book on gamblers
    who were released.

Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

far more interesting
    if you can get it is
    a book on gamblers
    who were released.

I like what you have done there Gambler!

And thanks everyone i will have a further look into the books you have suggested, i think the timeform one sounds promisin along with a few others! i will make a thread sometime in the future with my purchases and after i have studied them!

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.