The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Galileo the NH Stallion?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Galileo the NH Stallion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

With Celestial Halo winning the Triumph Hurdle a few weeks ago I was surpised to hear that not one racing journalist or pundit mention the fact that it was the first Cheltenham Festival winner to by Galileo which is become a remarkable early stud career already. If Celestial Halo won a group 1 on the flat no doubt that everyone would be banging the drum about how great Galileo is at stud. I mentioned on another horse racing forum after Sixties Icon won the St Leger that Galileo would also sire some good horse over jumps and he would produce the next Istabraq over hurdles everyone doubted me at the time but whos lauging now. Being a son of Sadlers Wells and bearing in mind that some of his other sons have become very good NH Stallions in their own right the likes of Old Vic, Kings Theatre, Saddlers Hall etc I cannot see any reason why Galileo cannot sire a very good Champion Hurdle winner of the future. It would not suprise me if Galileo has already paid a visit to Martinstown Stud to cover a couple of JP Mcmanus mares already. Does anyone think that we will see anymore good very good hurdlers and dare I say it chasers by Galileo in the future?

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 442

Having sired Soldier Of Fortune, Sixties Icon, Nightime, Lush Lashes and New Approach already, there’s no chance of Coolmore marketting Galileo as a NH sire. He’s the heir apparent to Sadlers Wells and the fact that his fee is private means that they’re already being selective about the mares he visits.

Saying that, he’s sired a yearling by one of my all-time favourite NH mares, Lady Cricket, so I’m sure there’ll be the odd one if the quality of mare warrants it.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

If you have the money surely Coolmore wouldn’t not let you use him? Also, I’m sure JP would be allowed access if he wanted.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Having sired Soldier Of Fortune, Sixties Icon, Nightime, Lush Lashes and New Approach already, there’s no chance of Coolmore marketting Galileo as a NH sire. He’s the heir apparent to Sadlers Wells and the fact that his fee is private means that they’re already being selective about the mares he visits.

Saying that, he’s sired a yearling by one of my all-time favourite NH mares, Lady Cricket, so I’m sure there’ll be the odd one if the quality of mare warrants it.

And also European Juvenile Juvenile Champion Teofilo, Ebor winner and Melbourne Cup second Purple Moon and Breeders Cup Turf winner Red Rocks.

In all fairness, with the sort of horses that Galileo knocks out, it was always pretty obvious to me that he was going to knock up jumpers. I have been pretty surprised Montjeu hasn’t done as well over jumps but then many of his are still running at around 2 miles and think they will start to do better as they step up in trip. Because Galileo is possibly the best middle distance sire around at present he will remain a flat sire who’s flat failures (I use that term very loosely as in many respects CH getting to a 115ish rating wasn’t really a failure) will be popular amongst NH buyers. Don’t think many NH Breeders will be willing to pay the 150,000 price tag just because he has knocked up a triumph winner from two crops.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

The "old" Lord Derby once refused Federico Tesio a nomination to Fairway for his mare Nogara because the horse was full.

Poor Tesio had to make do with his inferior brother Pharos!

KendalCavalier
    • Total Posts 337

Without wanting to appear disrespectful, saying that Galileo would produce good NH horses is like saying Manchester United will finish in the top four of the Premiership this season.

Sadlers Wells’ progeny are currently flooding the NH bloodstock industry. Milan, Kayf Tara, Oscar, Saddlers Hall, King’s Theatre, Accordion, Cloudings, Portrait Gallery, Old Vic, Clerkenwell, Dr Massini, In The Wings, Court Cave, Let The Lion Roar, Mohaajir, Moon Ballet, Pierre, Saffron Walden, Subtle Power, Tamure, Wolfe Tone and Poliglote (plus many more) are all regarded as NH sires for both now and the future (apart from In The Wings obviously) Indeed Sadlers Wells stallions currently hold 2nd, 3rd and 4th spots in the leading NH sires table as we speak and only Denman’s Gold Cup win prevents Accordion from 1st place.

Galileo has had 8 winners during this NH season thus far and that can only increase as time goes on and yes eventually his progeny will go over fences. Whether they succeed or not will depend, as some have already stated, on the mares he covers but from the statistics I hold it is Kayf Tara and Milan that are proving most popular at this current time and I don’t think it is purely down to the fees involved with Galileo. Kayf Tara was unlucky not to have had his first Festival winner last month when Venalmar was touched off and of ALL Sadlers Wells’ stallions he looks the one that will produce a cavalcade of staying chasers and will eventually fill the void left by Roselier’s death in 1998.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

And also European Juvenile Juvenile Champion Teofilo, Ebor winner and Melbourne Cup second Purple Moon and Breeders Cup Turf winner Red Rocks.

In all fairness, with the sort of horses that Galileo knocks out, it was always pretty obvious to me that he was going to knock up jumpers. I have been pretty surprised Montjeu hasn’t done as well over jumps but then many of his are still running at around 2 miles and think they will start to do better as they step up in trip. Because Galileo is possibly the best middle distance sire around at present he will remain a flat sire who’s flat failures (I use that term very loosely as in many respects CH getting to a 115ish rating wasn’t really a failure) will be popular amongst NH buyers. Don’t think many NH Breeders will be willing to pay the 150,000 price tag just because he has knocked up a triumph winner from two crops.

Montjeu progeny seem very difficult to keep sound and get more tempermental as they age, Hurricane Run, Motivator and Montjeu himself. I doubt he will produce many NH successes.

JohnJ

AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 369

She was a super mare, really good, let’s hope her offspring are just as good.
    Slightly off thread, whatever happened to Like A Butterfly- Iknow she was retired, does anybody know whether she’s a broodmare?

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

L-A-B was barren last year to Oscar and, continuing the theme of SW-sired stallions, has been covered by High Chaparral.

Ryor
    • Total Posts 24

Can anyone tell me pls where I can obtain a complete list of Galileo progeny (flat and NH) currently racing in UK & Ireland? Tried both RP breeding site and BHA, no joy. Cheers if you can help

aji
    • Total Posts 469

http://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/stallionbook/stallion_home.sd?horse_id=531769&tab=stud

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2163

taking the view that it was Urban Sea that made him special, isn’t there a rather cheaper (if as yet unproven) alternative to Galileo that recently came "on stream" ?

would Cape Cross in the line be too off-putting even to sporting NH breeders?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Presume that would be Black Sam Bellamy Wit?

He’s already produced the useful Regisseur (useful chaser), Valdino (3/3 over hurdles thus far), The Giant Bolster and Samain.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2163

bit more recent – Sea The Stars.

Ryor
    • Total Posts 24

Aji – BRILLIANT!! just what I wanted. Many thanks indeed, very much appreciated. I’d spent 4 hours looking!! :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.